A Few Shots from the KANSAS DANCE FESTIVAL Rehearsal

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited November 27, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Straight out of cam no processing done...........
I had to give up my program to a Paying patron {true patron...actually gives money to the dance program}...so that was ok....but now I do not know name of pieces or what school was performing..... gotta love the Arts....

1- warm up 1
1095338764_ChyQm-L-3.jpg

2- warm up 2
1095338566_H2Hnz-L-5.jpg

3- warm ups and light refocus
1095341814_v4L5D-L-3.jpg

4- 1st piece ..live string orchestra
1095351366_TzRn2-L-4.jpg

5- still 1st piece
1095371872_BsX8v-L-2.jpg

6-
1095372128_5zqQQ-L-2.jpg

7-
1095418509_eyFc9-L.jpg

8-
1095725271_keZWb-L.jpg

9-
1095727533_693Fc-L.jpg

10- Mimesque Pieces - reminiscent of Marcel Marceau from when I met him a few years before his untimely death to old age....
1095739324_BMDZA-L.jpg

11-
1095749204_gGF7G-L.jpg

12-curtain call
1095776905_MErZB-L.jpg

13 - Time for Notes........The teaching never stop...............
1095779563_a66bK-L.jpg

This is but a few out of almost 600 from the 1st nite i went to a tech rehearsal...all of these are Wichita State University dance students and faculty............I have probably close to 3K more images on mem cards..waiting for upload to hardrive for processing....these above are straight out of camera.........
Good night.........................
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    Nice series Art thumb.gif

#10 is my favorite!
    Randy
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    ditto

and

ditto

Neilo
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    Thank you both.......after 4 days of shooting I am feeling it....running late to my sound gig.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    Howdy Art,

Really a neat series, really shows all the hard work and

skills it requires.

Love the lighting and details.

Very nicely done!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited November 21, 2010
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Art,

Really a neat series, really shows all the hard work and

skills it requires.

Love the lighting and details.

Very nicely done!!!

Craig..thanks for the Kudos...really appreciate it....
    i can't take credit for the lighting.....but I have worked with the lighting designer in the past when I was working at Wichita State......

for me this show turned out to be pretty easy...I actually shot most of it on aperture priority.......

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    I know shooting theatre/dance is hard, but I think a lot of these could have benefited from a higher shutter speed. I noticed your aperture was set to f/4.5 for just about all of them, I would have gone to 2.8 or lower if you can. The ISO up a bit, maybe? A lot of these images are a bit on the blurry side. If you do that, and straighten the horizon on some of them, I think they would be much better thumb.gif

The curtain call shot is quite cool thumb.gif
    edited November 22, 2010
    Thanks Ivar...greatly appreciate your thought and inputthumb.gifthumb.......when I shoot dance I want movement in my images.....I could have boost up
    to iso3200 and I did in some shots, those are mostly in the trash can, but that is my style and
    so far the faculty and student are very pleased........

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    rwells wrote: »
    Nice series Art thumb.gif

#10 is my favorite!
    Gotta go with that :D Agreed. thumb.gif
    Michael
  • TEdwardsTEdwards Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    Great set, particularly with the low light conditions. #10 stands out for me, too.
    http://timedwardsphoto.com

Canon 40d, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 55-250mm, Sigma 10-20mm
    edited November 24, 2010
    Thanks for the nice compliments Daddy-O and TEdwards.......there is more here in he people forum>> http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=184088 and HERE is The Whole Gallery of the 1st tech rehearsals I shot.....the rest are sitting on CF cards waiting on my new Harddrives to arrive......Friday I hope.

edited November 24, 2010
    On relooking, I have shifted my preference onto #7. I think the jigsaw-gestalt-inkblot pattern of light and shade on those figures is very arty, Art!mwink.gifDthumb.gif

Neil

edited November 24, 2010
    NeilL wrote: »
    On relooking, I have shifted my preference onto #7. I think the jigsaw-gestalt-inkblot pattern of light and shade on those figures is very arty, Art!mwink.gifDthumb.gif

Neil

Thank you Neil......the lighting on this frame was very simple 4 large 1000wt cyc lights (halogen) on cyc curtain.....and the amber lights on the dancers was simply from a single tree of Source 4 Ellipsoidal from stage right (the audiences left)...which was actually just 1 light.......

For those who don';t know and might wonder what a lighting tree is......in the case of Wichita State U.......it is a 2 - 21/2 inch black pipe approx 12 feet tall screwed into into a large round heavy steel base that the lights are hung on, trying to keep each light as close to perfectly perpendicular as possible with the one below it and all point 90 degrees across stage into a tree of lights on the other side....so the dancers can be light from both sides if the lighting designer and choreographer so desire......

edited November 24, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Thank you Neil......the lighting on this frame was very simple 4 large 1000wt cyc lights (halogen) on cyc curtain.....and the amber lights on the dancers was simply from a single tree of Source 4 Ellipsoidal from stage right (the audiences left)...which was actually just 1 light.......

For those who don';t know and might wonder what a lighting tree is......in the case of Wichita State U.......it is a 2 - 21/2 inch black pipe approx 12 feet tall screwed into into a large round heavy steel base that the lights are hung on, trying to keep each light as close to perfectly perpendicular as possible with the one below it and all point 90 degrees across stage into a tree of lights on the other side....so the dancers can be light from both sides if the lighting designer and choreographer so desire......

Thanks for the info, Art!

Neil

edited November 25, 2010
    Thanks for the info, Art!

Neil

Anytime Neil.........I forgotto mention that the reason for a lot eyes not showing up is that all lighting is from the ceiling excpet for the sidelight trees.....and no flash is allowed due to the open orchestra pit that the dance floor ends at............but I love dance lighting and love to work with it..............

Happy Thanksgiving to all........now time to take shower get ready for lunch and the coming of out of state family....

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    I like so many of these shots, but the simplicity of #10 really sticks with me.
    edited November 26, 2010
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I like so many of these shots, but the simplicity of #10 really sticks with me.

Thank you Mary for the kind words..............I too really like Number 10....and I am trying to title it.......suggestions will be appreciated...............from anyone

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Nice work, Art. I don't do this kind of photography but I have a feeling it's a bit tougher than it appears. Great capitalization of the lighting.thumb.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited November 26, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Thank you Mary for the kind words..............I too really like Number 10....and I am trying to title it.......suggestions will be appreciated...............from anyone

#10 "Spacewalk"

Neil

edited November 27, 2010
    Nice work, Art. I don't do this kind of photography but I have a feeling it's a bit tougher than it appears. Great capitalization of the lighting.thumb.gif

Tom

Thanks Tom,
    It was in the beginning.....I wasted lots of film trying to teach myself concert photography......then I threw away the "rule book", opened my minds eye and just things happen....now I am learning again this digital thing and figure I will be learning from now on.....

#10 "Spacewalk"

Neil

that could work...Thanks NeilL......