WTH is up w/ my Canon 50mm 1.4

ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
edited December 1, 2010 in Cameras
So I bought a EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens used from a retiring photog. But, now that I've used it in a shoot, I can't stinkin' figure out what is up with it. I was thinking that the microfocusing needed to be adjusted, but based on images like this (of which there are many of this shoot), I don't think that's the cause. Does anyone know what I need to do in order to fix the lens so I don't get the blurring around the edges (like you see on the pup) in the future? (EXIF below image)
1099020405_D8WXX-M.jpg
1/100 sec. at f/3.5
50mm
ISO 400
No Flash
Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 21, 2010
    Is it always that same edge? Your brides face is almost exactly the same distance away from an edge as your pup is, and she's not blurred. You're at a high vantage point in that shot, and I'm assuming you focused on her head. Are you sure this isn't just a DOF problem? I guess I'd shoot a brick wall on a tripod, making sure it's square to the wall of course, and then see if you can see any areas that are blurred. If they are, you'll have to send it in for repair.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    Actually, the whole shot looks soft to me, at least at this size, just much worse on the dog/tree side. Is it focusing at all? Does it hunt? Can you get accurate focus if you try it manually? Any filters to try removing?

I'm sure Ziggy and the other gear experts will chime in.
  • ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    This one might not be the best example since, as diva said, it doesn't look all that focused on the face as it is. And perhaps it is just a DoF issue, but I wouldn't have expected it to cause this kind of blur on the dog/tree. I'll tripod it and shoot a brick wall this week to give a test. Given that I'm wrapped up for the year with weddings, sending it out to get fixed up wouldn't be the end of the world.

I typically shoot with my 17-50 Tamron, but was "challenging" myself to use a prime with this shoot.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    Judging by where it LOOKS like the plane of focus should be, and which parts of the image actually *are* sharp / blurry, I'd say you've got a SERIOUS glass alignment issue. Kick that lens back to the seller asap, or take it in to Canon repair. If the issue I am seeing is correct, you basically have the focus and sharpness of a lensbaby.

Get a tripod and shoot a picture of a brick wall. Face the wall directly so that even at f/1.4 you should (in theory) get the entire wall in focus. Basically, a lab test. I bet you that you'll see one side of the image be VERY soft, while another side may be sharp.

The "lop-sided softness" is unfortunately VERY common with the 50 1.4, SLRGear did a test of multiple copies of the lens and you can see their results here:

http://www.slrgear.com/articles/variation_canon50f14/canon50f14.htm

Note how, while the center of the lens is perfectly sharp, and all the lenses look great by f/4, ...there is NO GUARANTEE of f/1.4 sharpness in any of the lenses, as soon as you compose the subject's face off-center.

So again, I'd consider either getting a new copy of the 50 1.4, or upgrading (yes I said upgrading) to the Sigma 50 1.4, ...or if 50mm is really your absolute favorite focal length, maybe the Canon 50 1.2 is for you... Personally though, in my opinion the absolute best option for Canon users at 50mm is definitely the Sigma. It's got a HUGE circle of sharpness wide open, even though the corners are soft, and by f/2 & f/2.8 it looks amazing all-around while the other lenses simply don't have as sharp of a central area. But of course, sharpness is only one thing to consider, so good luck choosing!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    That is a DOG issue NOT a DOF issue....Lol, kidding. But that's for sure not a DOF problem. I agree with Matthew that its a glass problem. A piece of the lens isn't in its proper plane and isn't parallel with the sensor anymore. You shouldn't have to pay to have that lens fixed since it was sold to you that way. I'd personally return it, but if you want to, demand the repairs to be covered. A brand new one costs about $300 so if the repairs are too much I'd just go for a new lens. I have the 50 F1.4 and its THE sharpest non macro lens I've ever used, edge to edge, and even at F1.4 its almost as sharp as the 28-70 F2.8 I use (If I focus it right, lol). I guess thats bragging, but, I also know and confirm your lens is way whack, yo.

@ Matthew When I compared 50mm lenses before I bought mine, I recall the sigma having one big ugly con: really bad/inconsistent focusing. That caused me to buy the Canon.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-50mm-f-1.4-EX-DG-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx

Search "sigma 50mm focusing issues" in google and loads of stuff will come up.. its much more a risk to buy a brand new Sigma 50mm F1.4 than a brand new Canon 50mm F1.4
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    Owning a 50/1.4 that's been back to CPS 3 times (all for AF Motor replacement though, a VERY common problem with the 50/1.4) That is just BAD. I'm with Matt on this, looks like an element is not in place. Send it to Canon have them check it out.. Times like this is when CPS membership is a nice thing to have.. expedited repairs and discounts always a good thing!
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    That is a DOG issue NOT a DOF issue....Lol, kidding. But that's for sure not a DOF problem. I agree with Matthew that its a glass problem. A piece of the lens isn't in its proper plane and isn't parallel with the sensor anymore. You shouldn't have to pay to have that lens fixed since it was sold to you that way. I'd personally return it, but if you want to, demand the repairs to be covered. A brand new one costs about $300 so if the repairs are too much I'd just go for a new lens. I have the 50 F1.4 and its THE sharpest non macro lens I've ever used, edge to edge, and even at F1.4 its almost as sharp as the 28-70 F2.8 I use (If I focus it right, lol). I guess thats bragging, but, I also know and confirm your lens is way whack, yo.

@ Matthew When I compared 50mm lenses before I bought mine, I recall the sigma having one big ugly con: really bad/inconsistent focusing. That caused me to buy the Canon.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-50mm-f-1.4-EX-DG-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx

Search "sigma 50mm focusing issues" in google and loads of stuff will come up.. its much more a risk to buy a brand new Sigma 50mm F1.4 than a brand new Canon 50mm F1.4
    ...But all the 50 1.4's have notorious focus issues, so I kinda just figured the Sigma wasn't seriously disadvantaged there, even if the claims were true.

I've also personally tested quite a few copies of the Sigma 50 1.4, on both Canon and Nikon, and I have to say I love the lens. It focuses great. It's not as snappy, since there's as much glass in the dang thing as a 1.2, but it's VERY accurate as far as I can tell.

I just disclaim most AF complaints these days because cameras are SO complex, and I don't trust anyone's opinion until I've tried it myself. I guess I'm just good at focusing?

AGAIN, my first recommendation is to kick that lemon back to the seller ASAP. Tell them you're not stupid, you can tell the lens is really jacked up. As long as you bought it within the last 30 days or so...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    Yeah the 1.4 has trouble focusing in low light for me unless I use single AF focus points, then it works much better... I think the camera has a lot to do with that as well
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    at 1/100th of sec, you are differently prone to subject movement, especially with animals.

It looks like his right hand is the only thing that is relatively sharp in that image.
  • ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Thanks for all of your advice. Returning it isn't an option. And I'd really rather have it work than to use my thrifty fifty. So off to CPS it is. Hopefully they get it sorted out!