Options

Canon A80 price drop?

amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
edited July 13, 2004 in Cameras
Yo. Almost pulled the trigger on the A80 on Memorial Day @ $379 at Best Buy. Now its $299? Did Canon drop a lot of the prices? Some of the others looked lower also. I read a complaint about the A80 LCD veing so tiny you can't read the menu. Still looks like the right camera for me.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Amadeus.

Comments

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2004
    I have found it for as low as $268 and it is $279 at B+H. I would see if you can look at the A75 and A80 in person to see which screen you like better. The A80 does have a flip and twist screen, helpful for self portraits if you are into that kind of thing. I do not know if this is a recent price drop or not. ne_nau.gif They could have new cameras on the way. There are photo conventions at the end of July, and I think in September in Germany (maybe you could take a trip there and see them in person?). Typically consumer cameras are announced at PMA in Feb. So no idea if new cameras are coming from Canon to replace the current A series (that could drop the price) or competition from other manufacturers is helping to push down the price, but the A series cameras seem to be a good deal.

I took this photo with an A60, not bad for a 2mpx.

4884038-S.jpg
  • Options
    doyledoyle Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2004
    I love my A80. I bought it just before Christmas for 399. I guess I could have waited and got it cheaper, but I would still be waiting and you have to pull the trigger eventually.

I have not heard of any issues with the display and it has not been hard to read in my experience. Once you memorize what symbols represent what function, I actually find it quite easy to use, even in full manual mode. Good luck, but everything gets cheaper with time it also gets outdated with time too.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    well. I now own a Canon A80. Brand new still in the box, time to start reading instructions. I knew I should have brought my glasses home for the weekend.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    amadeus wrote:
    well. I now own a Canon A80. Brand new still in the box, time to start reading instructions. I knew I should have brought my glasses home for the weekend.
    clap.gif Woo hoo! Congratulations. I just know you're gonna love it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2004
    It is a great camera! With surprising versatility. Tip: Buy yourself some 15 min rechargeable batteries they last a lot, and I mean a lot longer. The A80 eats regular AA's .
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    ladies and gentlemen, for the first time in public as man and Canon A80, lets have a nice round of applause for...

5778844-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    it seems to have much more depth and clarity than the old reliable Coolpix 775.

5778848-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    I'm very pleased with my choice, and with my decision not to buy it on Memorial Day @ $379. 4th of July for $299, I'm $80 to the good. I couldn't be happier.

5778849-M.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    thumb.gif Smart camera, too. It decided to put the bike in focus, not you! blbl.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    The A80 does have a flip and twist screen, helpful for self portraits if you are into that kind of thing.
    rolleyes1.gif
    Tim
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2004
    6119634-O-1.jpg