Before and After (Rainier)

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited November 26, 2010 in Landscapes
A few recent snow photos from Mt. Rainier.

You often hear people talk about "storytelling photos" - most good photographers can tell a story with one photograph, but I require two :D

Now:

1099890759_2x4ff-XL.jpg

In twenty years:

1099891483_u8D69-XL.jpg

And this is Mt. Rainier being a tease (rewarding me for waiting patiently a few hours in the snow by offering a brief glimpse, but not too much so that I don't attempt this same shot in the future under better conditions):

1081965134_Cxui8-XL.jpg

Comments

• rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    Very nice Ron. Really like the light in #3!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    Thanks for sharing the story beautiful set,2 being my fav.:)
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 22, 2010
    Looks cold but beautiful. Time to wax the skis.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    Love the rhythm and movement of your first image, almost an abstract since we don't have an idea of perspective, I like that. Beautiful second image, I love your low perspective, this may also me a good candidate for a B/W.
    Your last image is really lovely too, Mother Nature has graciously given you a peak a Rainier for your image, this is a great location, looks tack sharp. Nice set.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    I love the contrast and simplicity in the first image. Great image! I also really like how #3 came out.
  • nazquelnazquel Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    love #1 really serene
    Navin Sarma

Washington, D.C., based landscape and fine art photographer

http://navinsarmaphotography.com/
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    ront wrote: »
    Very nice Ron. Really like the light in #3!

Ron

Thanks! I wish there was a little more mountain, maybe next time :)
    jackiejay wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing the story beautiful set,2 being my fav.:)

Thanks!
    kdog wrote: »
    Looks cold but beautiful. Time to wax the skis.

Wasn't too cold (about 25 degrees or so), but I checked the forecast today and it's going to be 0 up there :)
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Love the rhythm and movement of your first image, almost an abstract since we don't have an idea of perspective, I like that. Beautiful second image, I love your low perspective, this may also me a good candidate for a B/W.
    Your last image is really lovely too, Mother Nature has graciously given you a peak a Rainier for your image, this is a great location, looks tack sharp. Nice set.

Thanks Doug! The first shot is definitely an abstract, and I agree that B&W might work with the second, I'll give that a shot.
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    I love the contrast and simplicity in the first image. Great image! I also really like how #3 came out.

Thanks!
    nazquel wrote: »
    love #1 really serene

Thank you!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    Whee I love snow! This makes me want hot chocolate and a line of rude tourists cutting in front of me at the Paradise Lodge breakfast bar. lol3.gif
    edited November 23, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    Whee I love snow! This makes me want hot chocolate and a line of rude tourists cutting in front of me at the Paradise Lodge breakfast bar. lol3.gif

Nothing says National Park like "rude tourists" :) Fortunately (or unfortunately) the Paradise Inn is closed for the season, so you have to go down to Longmire to get your taste of rude tourist action.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    Different stuff than we usually see from you. It took me a couple of days to get them, and now I really like them (especially #3). clap.gif
    edited November 24, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Different stuff than we usually see from you. It took me a couple of days to get them, and now I really like them (especially #3). clap.gif

Thanks for coming around! :)

I've been consciously trying (with limited success) to do more intimate style landscapes the past few months (rather than the huge sweeping landscapes I normally attempt).
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 25, 2010
    Great set, Ron. thumb.gif I love texture photos.
    I completely understand your trying to do more intimate style landscapes. I have been trying to do that for quite some time, but most of my efforts have been squashed by people liking my huge sweeping landscapes instead. ne_nau.gifD

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • GovMuleGovMule Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    That is one beautiful scene and image Ron (#3). I'd start a fire and wait for the mountain shot. ;)
    Canon 50D/Rebel XTi / EF 24-70 F2.8 L / EF 70-200 F4 L / EF 300 F4 L IS / EF 1.4x II /580 EX II / Sigma 10mm f/2.8 EX DC Fisheye HSM
    http://chriscouse.smugmug.com/
    One step closer and I'll shoot you with my Canon
    edited November 26, 2010
    annnna8888 wrote: »
    Great set, Ron. thumb.gif I love texture photos.
    I completely understand your trying to do more intimate style landscapes. I have been trying to do that for quite some time, but most of my efforts have been squashed by people liking my huge sweeping landscapes instead. ne_nau.gifD

Ana

Thanks Ana! I know what you mean - I generally try to shoot photographs that I personally find appealing, and if people don't like them, either they share different tastes or I screwed up on the execution (or both!), it's sort of tricky to detect the distinction. I shoot a bunch of macro stuff that no one seems to care about, but I like it, so I keep doing it anyway! lol3.gif
    GovMule wrote: »
    That is one beautiful scene and image Ron (#3). I'd start a fire and wait for the mountain shot. ;)

I might just do that (with some mega warmers instead of a fire, the last thing we need is another photog screwing up a national park by lighting a fire!). A lot of those trees will be fully covered in snow now so I'll probably need to find a different composition, and I'll definitely need snowshoes now.