Bug ID, please?

NealAddyNealAddy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited November 22, 2010 in Holy Macro
For scale, the flower this little guy is sitting on is about the size of a penny.

How does one begin to ID these types of backyard critters?

1099952680_pEmz7-XL.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    Lovely shot - some type of plant hopper I think.
    A general insect/ bug guide book for your Country/are location is a good start to help ID what genral bug family it belongs to. You can also find good ID places on the Web for your area- eg www.bugguide.net is good for the US.
    Brian v.
  • AlexWildAlexWild Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    Nice shot.

That's a leafhopper (= family Cicadellidae), a very diverse group of plant-sucking insects found worldwide and recognizeable by the series of long spines on the hind legs.

Bugguide.net is a great resource, but given the enormous diversity of insects the bugguide database can be confusing if you don't already have some insect knowledge. I highly recommend the Kaufmann Insect guide as a start:

http://www.amazon.com/Kaufman-Field-Insects-America-Guides/dp/0618153101
  • NealAddyNealAddy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    Thanks, folks. I'm still struggling with bird ID's so it's intimidating to think I'll be tackling bugs now. With so much diversity it seems overwhelming!

I was just on the verge of ordering the Peterson guide but I'll definitely check out the Kaufmann first.
  • AlexWildAlexWild Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    NealAddy wrote: »
    Thanks, folks. I'm still struggling with bird ID's so it's intimidating to think I'll be tackling bugs now. With so much diversity it seems overwhelming!

I was just on the verge of ordering the Peterson guide but I'll definitely check out the Kaufmann first.

The Peterson Guide, while a bit dated, is the most thorough and technically detailed of the insect field guides. But it is rather advanced. It assumes a high level of background knowledge as well as access to high magnification, like a microscope. I'd not recommend it for anyone new to insects.

Kaufmann is much better suited as an entry level guide. The NWF guide is good, too, it covers fewer species but gives more information for the insects it does include.