Worthwhile Tool, or just a bit of fun?

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited November 26, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Downloaded PixelBender for CS5 today and have been playing with some of the filters. I wondered if these things actually have artistic merit, or were basically just for fun (which is ok by me, really, just wondered about others' thoughts)?

5198948998_2a3cdaacec_z.jpg
chipmunk better colour pixel bender by Bend The Light, on Flickr

5198418819_3a2257f65a_z.jpg
gareth plowing Version 2 - 8x10 PB by Bend The Light, on Flickr

5199013722_7db9bd30f0_z.jpg
Cambrian at Machylleth Station PB by Bend The Light, on Flickr

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited November 22, 2010
    In the wrong hands, oil pigment on canvas gives junk, not masterpieces. Like HDR, PixelBender is a high-tech technique for altering photographs. Whether you use it to create art really depends on whether you are an artist or a hack. Just like straight photography, come to think of it. rolleyes1.gif

You might be interested in some of the images in this current thread in the Finishing School forum. While I don't like all of the images there, there are a few subtle uses that have a distinctive, haunting look. The bad news, of course, is that before long, that look may become as clichéd as over-the-top HDR and selective color. That's not to say that you shouldn't give it a whirl. Just be sure that you have a personal vision that you are trying to render and not just messing around with sliders to see what comes out. deal.gif
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    In the wrong hands, oil pigment on canvas gives junk, not masterpieces. Like HDR, PixelBender is a high-tech technique for altering photographs. Whether you use it to create art really depends on whether you are an artist or a hack. Just like straight photography, come to think of it. rolleyes1.gif

You might be interested in some of the images in this current thread in the Finishing School forum. While I don't like all of the images there, there are a few subtle uses that have a distinctive, haunting look. The bad news, of course, is that before long, that look may become as clichéd as over-the-top HDR and selective color. That's not to say that you shouldn't give it a whirl. Just be sure that you have a personal vision that you are trying to render and not just messing around with sliders to see what comes out. deal.gif

I have had this plug-in for all of 2 hours. I had seen that previous thread, but forgot where it was...probably that that made me think to download it, maybe.

At present, I am just "slidin' the sliders" to see what they do. But my original question remains...can this be a serious tool? I take your point about HDR and Selective Colouring...things get old. Has anyone sold, or otherwise made money out of Pixel Bender? Do customers like it?

Thanks for you input.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited November 22, 2010
    Don't misunderstand. Messing with the sliders is an essential first step. You need to understand how to control any tool. But the essence of art is that it conveys a personal vision, so the question for you is "will this help produce what I want to produce?"

I have no idea whether anyone is using PixelBender for commercial work, but it looks like a powerful tool. I would expect advertising photography to be the first out of the shoot, though, as they need to be on the bleeding edge when it comes to attracting attention. After that, well, we'll see.
    edited November 22, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Don't misunderstand. Messing with the sliders is an essential first step. You need to understand how to control any tool. But the essence of art is that it conveys a personal vision, so the question for you is "will this help produce what I want to produce?"

I have no idea whether anyone is using PixelBender for commercial work, but it looks like a powerful tool. I would expect advertising photography to be the first out of the shoot, though, as they need to be on the bleeding edge when it comes to attracting attention. After that, well, we'll see.

Thanks...I hadn't misunderstood, was just extending the question. :)
    The three images I have put up here were not chosen with much thought, just as subjects for my fumblings. I think as you do...a vision is needed, a series or theme, and then this can be a great addition.

Thanks again for you input. thumb.gif
  • emmygeeemmygee Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 25, 2010
    Not sure about the chipmunk or black 5, but 'Gareth Plowing' would certainly hang on my wall. I think that it works for me because it is a total effect and hasn't left parts of the subject unchanged. All or nothing I guess. Nice one!
    edited November 25, 2010
    emmygee wrote: »
    ... but 'Gareth Plowing' would certainly hang on my wall.

Wanna buy it? Ha ha.

No, seriously, thanks for your input...I think this can be a great tool, but needs consistency, of the process, and of good subjects.

Cheers
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    Wanna buy it? Ha ha.

Not an offer, but I do like the plough shot best of the bunch. Makes we want to play with this "tool" too.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
    edited November 26, 2010
    billseye wrote: »
    Not an offer, but I do like the plough shot best of the bunch. Makes we want to play with this "tool" too.

No worries, I was only joking. :D

The tool does have merits, I think, then.

Cheers
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    this could be a useful tool .....now if someone wants to send me a legally registrable copy of PSCS5 for free....
    then I have several images that would be good candidates for this software......used wisely as you have this could
    be fun and profitable......add to the effect with a canvas print and glazed over with a clear acrylic applied by either
    small paint brush or painters spatula and it could be a winning combo.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited November 26, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    this could be a useful tool .....now if someone wants to send me a legally registrable copy of PSCS5 for free....
    then I have several images that would be good candidates for this software......used wisely as you have this could
    be fun and profitable......add to the effect with a canvas print and glazed over with a clear acrylic applied by either
    small paint brush or painters spatula and it could be a winning combo.

Thanks, Art.

I would like to print one of these out and see how it looks. I need to run it on another machine, though, as the one I am stuck on most of the time struggles with memory (it doesn't have enough!) to do this on a full size photo.

I will have a go, I think. :)