Options

How much to charge for a print

DavremdaliDavremdali Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
edited November 24, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Good afternoon D-Grinners, I have a client who requested one of my prints for sale. The plce is a restaurent, the owner would like to have a 60X37 print to post in his restaurant encased in glass and framed. I have read up on sveral price range. I would like to know if anyone can probably give me a price range that would be reasonable. He is not requesting any rights. Need some help pronto.:dunno

Respectfully

Reynaldo

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    I usually use a simple formula of print price+mat price+ frame price X5 = MSRP.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 22, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    I usually use a simple formula of print price+mat price+ frame price X5 = MSRP.

Thanks Art, but why the X5. My final price will be 4500. 900x5.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    What would you have sold him an unlimited, non-exclusive, non-transferrable license for? In this case, I think Art is a bit out of the range I'd call reasonable. I'd double your cost and add the price you'd have charged for the license.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    Think Of the bare minimum price you would want, think of the price if the client offered you'd be very happy with and then charge them the figure in the middle.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    Reynaldo,

Everybody is entitled to their own idea when it comes to pricing, but trying to use a set formula for fine art photography, painting, 3D art isn't relative in my opinion.

Lets say your cost for the print is $200.00 and framing is $700.00. If you apply a formula of 5X times cost you end up with $4500.00. I'm going out on a limb here and say this is over your restaurants budget.

Your client can get the framing done at the same price you can. Charging a premium to frame the print isn't out of line, but not 5X.
    The print however is a different story. While your client may be able to get a similar print for less he / she can't get your print for less.

The first thing I would do is find out what the budget is. You need to know if you can actually deliver anything at any size within your clients budget.

Mounting anything that large under glass will be expensive. You may want to consider some alternatives, like a canvas gallery wrap, or a print on aluminum.

You should be able to easily get a print in this size range on the wall for say $1200.00 to $2000.00.

PS: If you have never printed large you may want to do some research on printing this large and the file prep. Is the original image nice and clean. Will it go this large?

Good luck.

Sam
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Reynaldo,

Everybody is entitled to their own idea when it comes to pricing, but trying to use a set formula for fine art photography, painting, 3D art isn't relative in my opinion.

Lets say your cost for the print is $200.00 and framing is $700.00. If you apply a formula of 5X times cost you end up with $4500.00. I'm going out on a limb here and say this is over your restaurants budget.

Your client can get the framing done at the same price you can. Charging a premium to frame the print isn't out of line, but not 5X.
    The print however is a different story. While your client may be able to get a similar print for less he / she can't get your print for less.

The first thing I would do is find out what the budget is. You need to know if you can actually deliver anything at any size within your clients budget.

Mounting anything that large under glass will be expensive. You may want to consider some alternatives, like a canvas gallery wrap, or a print on aluminum.

You should be able to easily get a print in this size range on the wall for say $1200.00 to $2000.00.

PS: If you have never printed large you may want to do some research on printing this large and the file prep. Is the original image nice and clean. Will it go this large?

Good luck.

Sam

Hi Sam, Thanks for the input. Yes I personally printed large jobs for my full time job. I still have the original, cleaned and detailed. I have researched; we will have to switch from glass to plexi glass, framer states that a glass that large it is to fragile. In addition, client wants paper instead of canvas. Canvas printing is actually more expensive that photo paper which will be mounted on foam.

Cheers

Reynaldo
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    MSRP is not the same as retail or final price....it is what a manufacturer says a product is worth in perfect world.....
    it is a starting point...that is what art work to me is worth at least 5x what it actually costs me.....it is what it could
    more than likely be insured for if need be and that is how I was told many years ago to figure something is worth,
    by my insurance broker and also by a photo art dealer....so I passed along a starting point..... I have
    seen the unframed 8x10's selling for over $200......Ihave seen the 4x6 for a $100......so art pricing is extremely subjective,
    but for the 8x10 and 4x6's the artist (photog) may have taken a lot less if the work was not selling at this show...if it was
    very slow then he may very well have discounted if asked..........

Each photog need to come up their own formula that they are happy with.....that is why most of my 8x 10's are around $30 retail.....
    not MSRP
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    Davremdali wrote: »
    Hi Sam, Thanks for the input. Yes I personally printed large jobs for my full time job. I still have the original, cleaned and detailed. I have researched; we will have to switch from glass to plexi glass, framer states that a glass that large it is to fragile. In addition, client wants paper instead of canvas. Canvas printing is actually more expensive that photo paper which will be mounted on foam.

Cheers

Reynaldo

The plexi was a given at that size. :D If your client insists on paper, then of course paper it is, but one thing to consider is while a canvas print may cost more, there is no framing cost. I can get a 40 X 60 canvas print hanging on the wall for far less than a 40 X 60 print with conventional framing.

Also, don't use foam. Use gator board or sinta (sp). Foam is not ridged enough especially at this size.

Sam
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    The plexi was a given at that size. :D If your client insists on paper, then of course paper it is, but one thing to consider is while a canvas print may cost more, there is no framing cost. I can get a 40 X 60 canvas print hanging on the wall for far less than a 40 X 60 print with conventional framing.

Also, don't use foam. Use gator board or sinta (sp). Foam is not ridged enough especially at this size.

Sam

Yes he insisted on paper rather than canvas. Good heads-up on the gator board. Thanks Sam.

Reynaldo Williams
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    It costs around 250k$ to equip a modest mid-range restaurant. 1% of that is $2500 and not an excessive proportion for a signature piece (signature for the restaurant that is). Seems you will make a decent chunk of change for this, and as a newbie to these commercial transactions, I would be well pleased.

I guess if you were a brilliant name in photography with a brilliant unique image in a high cost restaurant you could double the amount. So somewhere between 2.5 and 5k.

PS Bit surprised your framer does not recommend glass. I am having a bigger poster framed at the moment with anti-reflection glass. After all, it needs regular cleaning. Maybe it will crack on me but once it is on the wall what is going to happen? It will be heavy so I am going to need two people to hang it - all adding to the perceived cost.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2010
    It costs around 250k$ to equip a modest mid-range restaurant. 1% of that is $2500 and not an excessive proportion for a signature piece (signature for the restaurant that is). Seems you will make a decent chunk of change for this, and as a newbie to these commercial transactions, I would be well pleased.

I guess if you were a brilliant name in photography with a brilliant unique image in a high cost restaurant you could double the amount. So somewhere between 2.5 and 5k.

PS Bit surprised your framer does not recommend glass. I am having a bigger poster framed at the moment with anti-reflection glass. After all, it needs regular cleaning. Maybe it will crack on me but once it is on the wall what is going to happen? It will be heavy so I am going to need two people to hang it - all adding to the perceived cost.

Good morning Goldenballs. Thanks for he information. regarding the plexiglass. The framer insisted on plexi intead of glass. He said that for a print that large the glass would be very brittle.
  • Options
    How about DonHow about Don Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    Davremdali wrote: »
    Good morning Goldenballs. Thanks for he information. regarding the plexiglass. The framer insisted on plexi intead of glass. He said that for a print that large the glass would be very brittle.

I don't know a lot about glass but I bet age has more to do with glass getting brittle than size does.