Options

Studio: Strobe vs Continuous Lights

ADMIT PhotographyADMIT Photography Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
edited November 24, 2010 in Technique
So after a long wait I've got about $225-$250 to spend on some studio lights.:ivarHowever I'm having trouble deciding on what to get. I can get a single strobe light or possibly a couple continuous lights (which seem to be cheaper).

My question is what is the major difference? Does anyone have any experience with continuous light studio 2-3 light kits? What brand is better?
I've use Alienbees, and White Lighting Strobe lights in my current job but I also know those can be a bit pricey. Does anyone know a cheaper but good quality strobe light?

Thanks in advance for you help!:clap
Facebook - Twitter
Nikon D200, D80, SB600, nikon 50mm 1.8, nikon 18-135 3.5-4.6, nikon 70-200

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    So after a long wait I've got about $225-$250 to spend on some studio lights.:ivarHowever I'm having trouble deciding on what to get. I can get a single strobe light or possibly a couple continuous lights (which seem to be cheaper).

My question is what is the major difference? Does anyone have any experience with continuous light studio 2-3 light kits? What brand is better?
    I've use Alienbees, and White Lighting Strobe lights in my current job but I also know those can be a bit pricey. Does anyone know a cheaper but good quality strobe light?

Thanks in advance for you help!clap.gif

I know of notrhing better or actually just as good in the price range of any of Paul Buffs equipment.....you can go to adorama and get their house brand...probably made in china, who knows where it is made or any other house brand....you can go Britek..again that is prob made in china...but all of the Paul Buff line of lights are still made in the Nashville as far as I know.....I have been informed of any outsourcing for manufacture and since I have been using white lightnings for over 25 yrs, I usually send an email anytime a new lighting line is announced...like einsteins..yep pricy.......
    Here is a good buy off ebay....and these are the ones I have used for over 25yrs now.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    Three cheap speed lights (yongnuo, same chinese brand on ebay that adorama buys directly and rebrands... lol) and their wireless trigger/receivers and you're set for strobist style lighting setups for cheap.

Sidenote: Speedlights/flashes/strobes stop action and help with sharpness of a picture IMMENSELY. Hot lights, not so much. Go buy some garage lights at walmart for cheap if you're just looking to get your basics of studio lighting down. They're hot and bright but once you switch to strobes, you'll never go back.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2010
    thanks Art! I was looking at those yesterday before I postedbut wasn't sure about them. They pretty easy to use and adjust the light output? Also it appears they were using a regular light bulb is that right?
    Facebook - Twitter
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2010
    thanks Art! I was looking at those yesterday before I posted but wasn't sure about them. They pretty easy to use and adjust the light output? Also it appears they were using a regular light bulb is that right?
    yes they have easy push button controls.....the house lamp is for the modeling light there is a strobe flash tube that is the flash of course...both lamps are user replaceable......which is a great boon to all Paul Buff lights......I you can use gaff tape to hold filter material over the lights if need be or get what used to be called "Z" frames to hold the filters (12x12") in front of the flash....BH carries an IMPACT Universal Filter Holder ...looks just like my 25 yr old "Z" frames from the defunct Spiratone..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 23, 2010
    What do you all think of this auction? Keep in mind this will be a small in home studio so I don't need alot of power. I'm trying get the most for my money. Think this is a waste of money?
    Facebook - Twitter
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    What do you all think of this auction? Keep in mind this will be a small in home studio so I don't need alot of power. I'm trying get the most for my money. Think this is a waste of money?

I think you know the answer to this. One Alien Bee 400 will cost as much as this entire set. How good do you really think the quality can be?

I know this looks good to you now, but I tend to believe there is a logical rational reason the price is a mere fraction of what any other reputable known manufacturer can offer their product for.

OH....yeah, the reason.....it's cheap!

Sam
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2010
    You would be better off with the White Lightning's i linked to earlier....seriously......the Guide number on the WL5000's is around Gn160 at 100 iso @ 10feet....what that mean is at iso100 you should get close to F16 with 10' from subject with no modifier of any type (umbrella or softbox or whatever).......I started out shooting in my living room of a double wide trailer.....err I mean pre-fab home......

Good Luck.........