Monarch butterfly (Danaus plexippus)

SubanuSubanu Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
edited November 30, 2010 in Holy Macro
I captured this image back at the end of August using my Nikon 50mm f/1.8D.

Settings: ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/125 sec.

5199981595_ce7e9afd6e_b.jpg

Thanks for looking and C&C is always welcome and appreciated...

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    Lovely capture- like the colours and light
    Brian V.
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    Oh so beautiful.What a great pic.We tryed our hand thie year with the monarchs we planted milkweed but not enough we got a few but they got gone before changing they ran out of their food source(first time trying to plant stuff to attract diff butterflys)
  • RobSylvanRobSylvan Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    Monarchs are wonderful subjects. So much detail and color, and they sometimes sit still long enough. I like your capture, but the crop feels a little tight to me on the sides.
    jackiejay wrote: »
    Oh so beautiful.What a great pic.We tryed our hand thie year with the monarchs we planted milkweed but not enough we got a few but they got gone before changing they ran out of their food source(first time trying to plant stuff to attract diff butterflys)

Each summer we visit a nearby field in late August to collect a few monarch caterpillars, which we keep for a few weeks at home and watch them transform. It is an amazing experience to witness! Having a close supply of milkweed would really help to keep them fed. The field we collect them from is a hayfield, and I try to collect the larva before it gets mowed at the end of the summer.
  • SubanuSubanu Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    Thanks guys and gals!!

I agree the crop is too tight on this shot.

I was at a local state park, and ran across these Monarchs by accident. This Monarch was very content. I had plenty of time to get up close and get the capture.

I spent a lot of time trying to get the Monarch in flight. I thought I got the shot. It wasn't as close as the first shot, and I was ok with that. Later that day I pulled up the shot, and it turned out to be a bust. There is always next year...

5205312453_821cf12b4e_z.jpg
  • PablitoPablito Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Subanu wrote: »
    I spent a lot of time trying to get the Monarch in flight.
    It's a tough job. Got to have fast shutter AND stopped down, which means you have to hit it lucky for light conditions, and for the extreme challenge of tracking it for the shutter snap.

Here's one attempt of mine: Kind of disappointing, but the show will go on. I think the key is to snap a take off. Just my opinion but that is where they'll pose for a few seconds and give you a chance to get set up and some idea of what is in focus and what isn't on that flower (or around it really - tough job!)
  • SubanuSubanu Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    Pablito wrote: »
    It's a tough job. Got to have fast shutter AND stopped down, which means you have to hit it lucky for light conditions, and for the extreme challenge of tracking it for the shutter snap.

Here's one attempt of mine: Kind of disappointing, but the show will go on. I think the key is to snap a take off. Just my opinion but that is where they'll pose for a few seconds and give you a chance to get set up and some idea of what is in focus and what isn't on that flower (or around it really - tough job!)

You know it... The challenge make it so much fun when you nail one....
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited November 30, 2010
    good shots, colours look too strong. maybe reduce saturation a bit!
    i always think monarch shots need saturation reducing, they allways seem to look un natural, blacks and oranges oversaturated.