Dancers are people too....correct??

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited November 27, 2010 in People
i posted a few pix of the wichita State University Kansas Dance Fest but those that do not venture down that low on the list....thought I would throw a few differnt pones up here also....these are all from the 1st day of shooting the final tech rehearsal...haven't been able to download the cards from Thur, Fri and Saturday nights due to a shortage of hard disk space............have more on order now tho................

disclaimer...none of these have been processed....they are straight out of camera jpgs.........and purposely shot with slower shutter speed to show the movement in the pix...............

1-Warm up stretching..........
1095338566_H2Hnz-L-5.jpg

2-
1095368334_SH78R-L-3.jpg

3-
1095368530_ERXzG-L-3.jpg

4-
1095380042_dCSnQ-L-2.jpg

5-
1095386554_MsXBw-L.jpg

6-
1095388151_2Pi3v-L.jpg

7-
1095711932_2n2hM-L.jpg

8-
1095729979_kBNAP-L.jpg

9-A Marcel Marceauesque piece.......
1095750210_oUcJf-L.jpg

10-same Marcel Marceaueques piece.......
1095739062_YsFaM-L.jpg
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    Very nice work, Art. 1,2,6 & 7 really stand out to me. I'm on the fence on #10. There is soooo much black, but the isolation is so cool.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Very nice work, Art. 1,2,6 & 7 really stand out to me. I'm on the fence on #10. There is soooo much black, but the isolation is so cool.

Thank you Andrew..........
    Isolated and lonely was what I was after and it won't be so much black (still a lot since I want to show how isolated and lonely but I have room to work ) after I get images processed and then cropped to a 4x5 aspect ratio...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    Please post the finals (or send a pointer).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited November 23, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Please post the finals (or send a pointer).

I will post alink or new photos in these threads......I have over 3K to cull and process and I am waiting on harddrives to arrive as I did not keep tabs on how full I was getting and did not get new drives ordered until yesterday...so I have 12 8gb cards waiting to be down loaded to hdd's....... :~}} bad storage management on my part....I bet that won't happen again to me :D

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    Look forward to seeing the finals! Dance is so hard to shoot, especially in the (usual) pitch dark lighting they give you!!
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    Great shots. And straight out of camera, too. I need to get my SOOC shots to look this good to minimise my PP time!

Only slight niggles are on #5..the creased curtain...but that's not your fault. Will you PP that out?
    And the dancer's...erm... derrière on #8. I believe the dancer is wearing sheer Lycra or something, but it looks like not!

But really...as I said...great shots and I would be extremely pleased to have shot close to this.

Cheers
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    edited November 23, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Look forward to seeing the finals! Dance is so hard to shoot, especially in the (usual) pitch dark lighting they give you!!

this the type of photography I really love and why I shot concerts for so many years from the late 70's thru the 90's.......but with dance it is not a one shot deal.......In the spring will be WSU's Childrens Dance Festival Feb 7.....I plan of shooting the load in (setting up the lights, taping down the Marley floor and then the rehearsals and also the strike (tearing it all down)....the explanations are not for you DivaMom but those not familiar with theater jargon.....I still talk about stage left and stage right or house left and right....it drives the church people nuts then I have to take a deep breath and go thru it in regular terms........

edited November 23, 2010
    Great shots. And straight out of camera, too. I need to get my SOOC shots to look this good to minimise my PP time!

Only slight niggles are on #5..the creased curtain...but that's not your fault. Will you PP that out?
    And the dancer's...erm... derrière on #8. I believe the dancer is wearing sheer Lycra or something, but it looks like not!

But really...as I said...great shots and I would be extremely pleased to have shot close to this.

Cheers

Thank you much for the kind words.......

I will probably clone that ripple out......no one explains to the students that you need to move past the cyc and stay as near the back wall as possible to keep from having waves on the cyc....also no was re-stretching the cyc prior to every show........I am not one to toot my own horn....but things are way down hill from when I was manager........or I took way toooooo much pride in my work......but that is not my concern anymore :~}}

yes in #8 everyone are wearing 1 piece short spandex........stopped a little above the knees.....withthe lighting and the light tan color of the spandex it gives an illusion of nudity......

edited November 23, 2010
    zoomer wrote: »
    Looks like fun, love shooting the dancers.
    I like the first one best.

Thank you for the nice words...

yes it is fun the energy running rampant is great.....once i start cliking I have to be careful not to fill a memory card to the top.......

HERE is the whole Gallery of the 1st night: http://tinyurl.com/2ub74uf Remember they are SOOC..........

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Very challenging to shoot in these conditions but these look great SOOC.....
    Can't wait to see what you've captured.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited November 27, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Very challenging to shoot in these conditions but these look great SOOC.....
    Can't wait to see what you've captured.

Thank You...............Greatly appreciated.

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    I want to see what you do with #5. I like.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited November 27, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    I want to see what you do with #5. I like.

Thanks John......if you have any suggestions let'em fly........

Have to make sure I put this down as notes here spo I do not forget.....:D:D:D
    My thaoughts on #5 are pretty simple.....I am fairly certain I like the exposure...so what will I do

1- cropping to 8x10 to get rid of the left side of image the cyc bothers me a lot and the stage director knows this alreadymwink.gif
    2- may try to smooth the cyc ...so it will be time to get Matt Klowaski's (sp) layers book out and work thru this pic if I can;t get a good clone or heal done on the cyc.....

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Thanks John......if you have any suggestions let'em fly........

After you, m'hijo mwink.gif.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.