card readers

m147m147 Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited November 29, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
what are some good card readers that you could suggest? what are some of the ones people here use?

Comments

• NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    m147 wrote: »
    what are some good card readers that you could suggest? what are some of the ones people here use?

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007
    - scroll all he way to the bottom in the CF/SD Performance Database field

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    I use and can highly recommend the Sandisk Extreme Firewire CF reader thumb.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    Anybody knows USB3 ones? I was looking all over, but can't find one headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 24, 2010
    I haven't seen any yet, Nik, have you?

I know Macs do not support USB 3.0 yet, - we are all waiting eagerly though, like you.

How common is USB 3.0 in Windows 7 world?

I use a Sandisk Firewire 800 reader for my MBP when traveling.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited November 25, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    I haven't seen any yet, Nik, have you?

I know Macs do not support USB 3.0 yet, - we are all waiting eagerly though, like you.

How common is USB 3.0 in Windows 7 world?

I use a Sandisk Firewire 800 reader for my MBP when traveling.
    I don't know how common it is, but my new desktop is usb 3, and I'd like to put it to a good use...
  • NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    I don't know how common it is, but my new desktop is usb 3, and I'd like to put it to a good use...

Just saw a Lacie USB3.0 thumbdrive introduction.

I've been reading that a lot of motherboards seem to have a PCIe bandwidth issue when you try to run USB3.0 and/or SATA6. Saw something that the board has to have the Intel NB200 chipset to avoid this. I'm not yet fully versed on this issue as yet. Probably only an issue for gamers who want high graphics bandwidth at all times.

edited November 25, 2010
    Newsy wrote: »
    Just saw a Lacie USB3.0 thumbdrive introduction.

I've been reading that a lot of motherboards seem to have a PCIe bandwidth issue when you try to run USB3.0 and/or SATA6. Saw something that the board has to have the Intel NB200 chipset to avoid this. I'm not yet fully versed on this issue as yet. Probably only an issue for gamers who want high graphics bandwidth at all times.

Good news about thumbdrivethumb.gif, but I need a fast cardreader...rolleyes1.gif
    Everything I saw is USB2, even the internal ones...:-( :cry
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited November 25, 2010
    The Pretec P240 is touted as the first USB 3 card reader but I don't see it for sale anywhere. I suspect that the USB 3 communication support chips that these readers require are still unavailable or unreliable, or that support drivers are still being developed and certified.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited November 25, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    The Pretec P240 is touted as the first USB 3 card reader but I don't see it for sale anywhere. I suspect that the USB 3 communication support chips that these readers require are still unavailable or unreliable, or that support drivers are still being developed and certified.
    Thanks Ziggy! thumb.gif
    At least there is hope.. mwink.gif
  • GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    I understand you are after something faster than USB2 but just something I have found recently with readers.

I Bought a high priced Sandisk Image mate reader that was supposed to have a blazing fast reasd speed. It's not bad but I found the program you download with has a huge impace on the speed. What I get on the same card and reader using windows and then EOS downloader is chalk and cheese.

I also found that the sandisk reader was no faster than the cheapie no name reader I got from a computer shop when I went somewhere and forgot the other reader. one cost $12 and the other ( Sandisk) cost $60 and they both read as fast and reliably as each other.

Makes me a bit ticked. I don't mind paying extra for better quality but I do get annoyed for paying extra for nothing which amounts to me to just getting ripped off. :boid