Auto Focus Assist Beam

nickeverettnickeverett Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited May 3, 2011 in Cameras
I have a puzzle that I can't seam to solve.

Using a Canon 580 EX II Speedlite with Canon 400D. When using the camera in an 'Auto' mode (i.e. portrait, landscape, close up, etc') the auto focus assist beam fires from my speedlite. However, when using P, Av, Tv & M the beam will not fire. Obviously I don't want to use an auto mode so what can I do to enable the assist beam on manual mode?

Comments

• cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    I had a similar dilemma on my Nikon system. I found that the AF assist light would only come on when I was using single focus (or whatever it's called). Since I typically use continuous focus (continuous servo, I think it's called on Canon), I was frustrated b/c the AF assist was not coming on. I finally discovered that it didn't come on in continuous mode, so now at least I understand why it doesn't come on sometimes.

Not sure if this is the same in Canon's system, but it might be something you can check.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    Make sure you have the custom function in the camera set to fire the AF assist beam. There is a function somewhere (it has to be on the 400D, I would think) where it says something like "AF Assist" and you can select "Enable/DIsable" Same with flash firing. So you can just use AF assist without the flash firing, useful in dark situations..
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    Right. Nikon's AF assist only works in single servo mode. Not in continuous or manual. AND the assist lights don''t work on the SB800 or SB600 either, unless you're in single mode. In typical Nikon fashion, they make that damn near impossible to find in their owners' manuals. If you don't know what THEY call it, you'll never find it in the index.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    Not sure if Canon only focuses in one shot or other modes. When I have a chance, I'll have to check and see what mine does.
  • nickeverettnickeverett Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    Thanks for all the replies.

I check the AF modes as 'cab.in.boston' suggested and discovered the assist beam only fires in certain AF modes. My 400D has three modes; One Shot, AI Focus and AI Servo.
    The assist beam fires in One Shot and AI Focus, but not in AI Servo.

Success! Puzzle solved.
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    Success! Puzzle solved.

Excellent! And what do you know... I was able to provide useful advice. This may be a first. :D
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    Thanks for all the replies.

I check the AF modes as 'cab.in.boston' suggested and discovered the assist beam only fires in certain AF modes. My 400D has three modes; One Shot, AI Focus and AI Servo.
    The assist beam fires in One Shot and AI Focus, but not in AI Servo.

Success! Puzzle solved.

Does this match with your original question, about AF assist beam and Auto vs other modes?

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    NeilL wrote: »
    Does this match with your original question, about AF assist beam and Auto vs other modes?

Neil
    Good question, actually. I bet the reason the AF-Assist beam was firing in auto mode but not in the other modes is because in auto mode the AF settings are defaulted to one-shot, while in the other exposure modes the AF is "unleashed" and it can be set to EITHER setting, One-Shot or AI-Servo.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • nickeverettnickeverett Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Good question, actually. I bet the reason the AF-Assist beam was firing in auto mode but not in the other modes is because in auto mode the AF settings are defaulted to one-shot, while in the other exposure modes the AF is "unleashed" and it can be set to EITHER setting, One-Shot or AI-Servo.

=Matt=

Yup yup
  • pigeonpigeon Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    I have a similar problem, in that my 580ex won't fire the AF assist beam.

I'm using one-shot. AF assist beam is enabled in the custom functions of both the flash and the camera (5dmkii).

I tried different shooting modes - Av, Tv, P, etc.

I was able to borrow a friend's 580exii, and it works!
    So... can the LED bulb burn out?

thanks,
    teresa
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    pigeon wrote: »

I'm using one-shot. AF assist beam is enabled in the custom functions of both the flash and the camera (5dmkii).

thanks,
    teresa

First thing I would want to find out is if the 580 settings can be reset to factory default. I have one myself but must admit I don't know if that is possible or how to do it.

good luck,
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 3, 2011
    pigeon wrote: »

thanks,
    teresa

The AF-Assist is illuminated from an LED, so it's not too likely that it has burned out but, like everything electronic, it could have a broken solder connection or a bad drive circuit, or ...

Since the other flash works that would seem to rule out your camera as the fault. Please do remove the batteries from the 580EX and then turn the unit on and leave it for a couple of hours. That should force the unit back to factory defaults.

Clean the contacts on the flash's foot.

Turn the unit off and reinstall the batteries. Test again.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums