Do I Need Lightroom?

boliverboliver Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited December 9, 2010 in Finishing School
I am an avid amateur, don't use Photoshop much...too complicated and technical for me. Rather be taking photos. I have been using Picasa to uplaod and manage my photos online...and it has a basic editor. My question: Given the fact that I shoot JPEG...NOT Raw....is it worth purchasing Lightroom? I have watched a few tutorials, and heard some things from photo friends who use it...mostly good.....I want to be able to do more in depth editing of my photos. I have a website on SmugMug, have sold some photos, etc.....and want to be able to catalog and manage my 3,000 or more photos...but not if it means a really complicated system. The tutorials mostly refer to RAW pics...hence the question...thanks!

Comments

• arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    Why not download a demo and give it a shot. It will work for cataloging your images and building web galleries, if you print, the print module is worth the price of admission.

And as Seeker of the Perfect Shot, you might want to through some raw’s at the Develop module! Here’s why:http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/family/prophotographer/pdfs/pscs3_renderprint.pdf
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    X2 on trying the demo. LR3 does a very nice job of giving you edit capability, including dust removal and graduated filters.

Keep in mind that RAW greatly increases your ability to amend the final product, versus JPG. JPG deletes what it considers to be unnecessary data, such as extremes of light and dark, in order to compress the file size. RAW often gives you access to details that JPG removed.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    x3 on LR3, AND I know where Macedon, NY is. wave.gif
  • RobSylvanRobSylvan Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    Before you jump into the trial, I highly suggest watching this short video tutorial on understanding the relationship between the Lightroom catalog and your photos. It is an oldie, but a goodie.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    The steps for correcting are going to be essentially the same for JPEG as for RAW. What you lose with JPEG is less precision and quality with white balance adjustments, less ability to reduce noise, recover highlights, open up shadows, but the steps are still the same. If you shoot pretty good JPEGs close to what you want, not needing extreme corrections, you might find that it's just fine.

Everything about organization will be the same between raw and JPEG. You can keep the organization simple if you want, like just folders. You can then add on more organization as you are comfortable. Maybe get into keywords, then a couple months later you do full IPTC, then get into collections and virtual copies...but you don't have to do all of it at once.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    15524779-Ti.gifagree15524779-Ti.gifagree15524779-Ti.gif with all of the above.......I do 99.9% of all my processing in LR3.....that is weddings, portraits, landscapes well hell....EVERYTHING.....but i process raw files.......i left shooting jpg several years ago, whn I actually learned that raw was about the same as a negative or slide was to me when i started shooting .........raw is the original digital negative, in my opinion, jpeg was the original digital polaroid in a sense......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited November 24, 2010
    +1 on downloading the trial version and giving it a whirl. If you have 3000+ pics already, you definitely will benefit from the catalog database, though I wouldn't necessarily import all of them until you are committed to using it. As an editor for JPGs, it is less powerful than Photoshop but much simpler to use. And if at some point you decide to start working with raw files, the tools are identical, so you won't have to learn a bunch of new stuff.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    I'm also an avid amateur. I use LR3 to process 100% of my images, all taken in RAW. I'd strongly encourage you to switch to RAW and then, if you do, to get Lightroom 3. You'll be amazed a what shooting RAW will allow you to do - particularly in the areas of noise removal, shadow lightening, and white balance. It really is worth it.
  • TrackerTracker Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    I would suggest investing a little time here...Adobe TV ...which reminds me, I need to go back and watch some more It's Adobe's video tutorial site for LR and it's helped me get more out of LR. Playing with the demo AND watching a couple of the tutorials should answer the big question for you. Good luck!
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    And if you are shooting jpeg because your camera doesn't produce raw images, maybe time to upgrade that, too........ thumb.gif

:D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    I went to a Scott Kelby seminar a couple of years ago. He said that he does most of his work in LR (he gave a percentage, but I can't remember what he said). He said he only opens PS for the fine details.

I just went to a workshop by Art Suwansang. He demonstrated LR3. I think after that workshop everyone went to B & H online and ordered a copy! :)

(I'm waiting to see what I get under the tree)
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    I'm a huge Aperture fan and have basically been able to stop using iView Media Pro for cataloging and PS CS for most of my editing. LR will do this all for you as well. It is one-stop-shopping: import, keyword, tag, catalog, organize, edit, adjust, email, export...
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    Well how about LR for $100 off?
    http://direct.adobe.com/v?xPvnccnEclHTHW
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • TrackerTracker Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    If you're in the education system, you can get the real deal at a substantial savings under their educator program.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    Also I believe that SmugMug has a discount code.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    I love lightroom but for me it makes sense as it saves me time which = money. Not sure but doesnt photoshop elements have a cataloging system? that would be a cheaper alternative thats not as complicated as full photoshop and cheaper than lr. Definately try both or at least lightroom. Lightroom killer tips is a great blog to read. Non destructive editing is also a great reason to buy LR.

If you do A LOT of pictures, LR's cataloguing process is MUCH better than either PS's Bridge or that which comes with the PSElements. But, know that LR will interface with a variety of photo applications, including Elements, for doing any post-processing that can't otherwise be handled in LR. There's a feature in LR where you can right-click a picture and select "Edit In..." where it will list the photo apps that have been setup/recognized. And it will edit either your original or a copy.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • boliverboliver Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 27, 2010
    Thanks for the LR# feedback!!
    Thanks everyone, for the great responses to my questions about LR3! I will definitely give it a try, and check out the SmugMug discount code.....given that I am now shooting jpeg, I think I will try the trial version (after watching the tutorial video) , and consider switching to RAW. I have always been too afraid to take that step becaise my editing skills in Photoshop were so bad....but maybe if LR# is less complicated, as some of you say, I will take the leap. Thanks again for the encouragement and info!!
  • PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    Who is this boliver imposter!?!?! :D

Sorry, saw the username and had to comment! Click my SmugMug link below to see why.