Options

Beauty Pageant - advice please

GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
edited November 27, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I know of a person that is organizing a beauty pageant and they need a photographer, and I was hoping to get some advice here.

What is the normal setup for this? How do I make my income off of this

Do they pay me and I hand them the images at the end?
Do I only get paid from sales to the beauty pageant girls?
If thats how I get paid, am I expected to give them a cut of the sales?

Ive done ballet and gymnastic events, this will be my first beauty pageant if I get it.

Got any other advice? I plan to stipulate in my contract that Ill be the only hired photographer there, and the only one that can sell pictures to the girls, if thats how im suppose to get paid for my time.

I'll appreciate any suggestions and tips.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 26, 2010
    Does anyone have any advice?
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 26, 2010
    sorry you haven't gotten any responses yet. I know nothing about BPs. This is a holiday weekend and attendance is low. Please be patient. thumb.gif

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    GerryDavid wrote: »
    I know of a person that is organizing a beauty pageant and they need a photographer, and I was hoping to get some advice here.

What is the normal setup for this? How do I make my income off of this

Do they pay me and I hand them the images at the end?
    Do I only get paid from sales to the beauty pageant girls?
    If thats how I get paid, am I expected to give them a cut of the sales?

Ive done ballet and gymnastic events, this will be my first beauty pageant if I get it.

Got any other advice? I plan to stipulate in my contract that Ill be the only hired photographer there, and the only one that can sell pictures to the girls, if thats how im suppose to get paid for my time.

I'll appreciate any suggestions and tips.

I was in involved in some state-wide pageant... It's all gray area.
    Requiring exclusive rights is an uphill batlle - you can't deny the parents their right to bring their own cameras (or to invite a dlsr-wielding friend/family member). Besides, organizers are interested in a wider coverage, hence they prolly won't like the idea...
    Try to negotiate a "sitting fee" with the person/committe who's doing this event that would include a certain (minimal) amount of images per participant (and cover your time, naturally), and reserve the right to sell the rest on your terms.
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,200 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Ok, I've never shot a beauty pageant, but a friend of mine has plus my daughter decided she needed to experience one to see if she liked it (she didn't). Here's the way it worked for my friend & how it worked for an entrant:

The pageant organizers paid the photographer a flat rate. I'm not sure how much, but I 'think' it was around $1500 for the day's work (a long day though). The photographer had to give all the image files to the pageant and was not able to attempt to sell any to the entrants. Entrants had to purchase photos directly from the pageant and they were NOT cheap (not that they should have been, but my friend would have charged much less than the pageant did). I 'think' the pageant was selling an 8x10 for $35, and $50 if you wanted it edited (glammed). There were lots of other people with cameras at the event, so I have no idea how many people would have wanted to purchase from either the photographer or the pageant. This particular pageant had about 100 entrants.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but it's the only experience I have with this type of thing.

Good luck.

Sherry
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2010
    slpollett wrote: »
    Ok, I've never shot a beauty pageant, but a friend of mine has plus my daughter decided she needed to experience one to see if she liked it (she didn't). Here's the way it worked for my friend & how it worked for an entrant:

The pageant organizers paid the photographer a flat rate. I'm not sure how much, but I 'think' it was around $1500 for the day's work (a long day though). The photographer had to give all the image files to the pageant and was not able to attempt to sell any to the entrants. Entrants had to purchase photos directly from the pageant and they were NOT cheap (not that they should have been, but my friend would have charged much less than the pageant did). I 'think' the pageant was selling an 8x10 for $35, and $50 if you wanted it edited (glammed). There were lots of other people with cameras at the event, so I have no idea how many people would have wanted to purchase from either the photographer or the pageant. This particular pageant had about 100 entrants.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but it's the only experience I have with this type of thing.

Good luck.

Sherry

Thanks for the response! I replied to the organizer and gave her a few options. Its a smaller community pageant so I doubt they will go for the first one. I didn't specify $$ so hopefully they will be generous. :D