American Southwest

JTB-DCJTB-DC Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited November 24, 2010 in Landscapes
Hey Everyone!

I am new to photography. Haven't posted anything, except two submissions to the last two challenges. Really looking to become a better photographer, so please have at these and let me know how I can improve. Last minute extended weekend getaway to the southwest US. First time out there and man it was beautiful.

1. Cedar Breaks National Monument
1102956639_MiogB-XL.jpg

2. Bryce Canyon
1102956824_4jnKo-XL.jpg

3. Zion National Park
1102957062_G3BdA-XL.jpg

4. Zion National Park
1102957241_7FsGz-XL.jpg

5. Joshua Tree National Park
1102957470_ViH6f-XL.jpg

Let me know what you think, and if you are really bored, have a look at my site and rip in to those pics too! :D

Thanks!
Jared
My Site

Comments

• Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    Ok, really nice series. I like how you took the sky almost completely out of Bryce C #1, its not helping the image then get rid of it. #2 the sky looks a bit overexposed, I would have taken a second underexposed image and blended them or used a split filter for the same purpose. Possibly a polarizer would have helped pump in some saturation.

#3 Great shot I love the sky, nice leading line from the side hill...now that I'm looking I see two people on the side of the trail, yike looks dangerous. The lower portion of the image my be a tad underexposed easy to remedy that.

#4 Another great shot. Love it as is. may be a bit underexposed in the darker half but I actually like it the way you have taken it.
  • JTB-DCJTB-DC Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Ok, really nice series. I like how you took the sky almost completely out of Bryce C #1, its not helping the image then get rid of it. #2 the sky looks a bit overexposed, I would have taken a second underexposed image and blended them or used a split filter for the same purpose. Possibly a polarizer would have helped pump in some saturation.

#3 Great shot I love the sky, nice leading line from the side hill...now that I'm looking I see two people on the side of the trail, yike looks dangerous. The lower portion of the image my be a tad underexposed easy to remedy that.

#4 Another great shot. Love it as is. may be a bit underexposed in the darker half but I actually like it the way you have taken it.

Hi Doug,

Thank you very much for your encouraging words and suggestions! I am going to take a few of the things you said and make some changes. I have a couple variations of the shots as is and perhaps one I overlooked makes more sense given your suggestions. Thanks again for your post!

clap.gif
    Jared
    My Site
  • JTB-DCJTB-DC Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    Two slightly different compositions for 2 and 3 above given Dougs comments.

Bryce Canyon
    1103870683_ZBTuU-XL.jpg

Zion National Park
    1103871528_psGkf-XL.jpg

Two additional pics from Zion
    1103870931_fqPho-XL.jpg

1103871191_oyBUu-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking!
    Jared
    My Site