Portrait Of An Iceberg.

gbtmcdgbtmcd Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited November 27, 2010 in Landscapes
These shots were taken in 2008 when a friend of mine, my daughter and myself chartered a small boat (21' speedboat) to go out and photograph this iceberg that was grounded in about 600' of water offshore. At the time I was working on (and still am) a project on Fogo Island in Newfoundland and had been wanting to go out to this iceberg for a while. The weather was mixed, a cold front was coming through which meant that there were a few squall lines in the area, which was a good thing since icebergs are difficult to shoot in full sun. It also makes for some great transitional lighting, my favourite. We left around noon as one squall approached passing between us and the iceberg giving us some great backdrops. Then as the weather slowly cleared we circled, taking our time for about half an hour before heading off to a group of islands called Little Fogo, roughly five miles out.
The pack ice that you may notice in the back ground in the first shoots had, by the time we returned from Little Fogo (two hours) had completely enveloped the iceberg we were shooting (last pic) and had almost reached the shoreline. In fact by the time we did get back to the harbour at Fogo we were pushing ice out of the way with the boat to get in.
One of the reasons I am posting these now is that I have just re-edited these with some new software (for me) that I feel give these images something that I feel they needed, since they seemed a bit flat to me.
All C&C welcome, especially the editing...Thanks
Blair McDougall

#1. Approaching with the squall line in the background.
1094440505_qhkhc-L.jpg

2#.People seem to see thing in icebergs as they do in clouds. This one reminds me of a Rino head on.
1094440595_ZYNJy-L.jpg

3#. The tallest point of this Iceberg we guesstimated at roughly 125 feet.
1094440642_FjUh2-L.jpg

#4.
1094440416_Deyg6-L.jpg,

#5. As the pack ice enveloped the iceberg and moved ashore seals arrived by the thousands.
1094440491_g5zn2-L.jpg

Thanks for looking... If you'd like to see more icebergs please visit my galley of icebergs Here
I am always re-editing as I learn more.
Take Care
Blair

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited November 24, 2010
    Beautiful shots. clap.gifclap.gif I agree that you were lucky with the cloudy sky. I think #3 could have used a little more water at the bottom, but that's just a quibble. The editing looks good to me.
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    Wonderful. The seal looking at the bergs is a nice touch...reminds us that while alien to us, it's home to others.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
  • glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    Beautiful, thank you for sharing.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 24, 2010
    Absolutely awesome shots, Blair. It sounds like quite the adventure you had capturing these, pretty daring actually. I can imagine how difficult it is to extract some contrast out of the ice, as I have a series of frozen waterfall shots I've never shown for the same reason. I'd be curious to hear what software you used for these, or any other tips. Congrats on getting some really epic wall hangers there.

-joel
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    Wonderful shots! Its amazing that all these shots are from one iceberg, looks like a few different one.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    ohhh man where is my jacket, these are beyond cool.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    WOW those are really intriguing!
  • Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    Amazing light and shots!! Thanks for sharing!
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    These were amazing pictures I enjoyed looking at them :)
  • ashruggedashrugged Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    these are superb
    the processing is great. I will surely visit your iceburg gallery.
  • gbtmcdgbtmcd Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Beautiful shots. clap.gifclap.gif I agree that you were lucky with the cloudy sky. I think #3 could have used a little more water at the bottom, but that's just a quibble. The editing looks good to me.
    Thank-you Richard...I have to agree with you that #3 should have had more foreground, however by the time I had finished straightening this it this is what I was left with. I've since learned to pull back a little extra when shooting on water.
    Wonderful. The seal looking at the bergs is a nice touch...reminds us that while alien to us, it's home to others.
    Thanks Wicked_Dark...Even though it is classified as Sub-Arctic there is life everywhere up there. Every time I go to the island i feel like I'm stepping into another world.
    dlplumer wrote: »
    iloveyou.gifclap
    Thank-you dlplumer....:D
    glennp wrote: »
    Beautiful, thank you for sharing.
    And thank-you for your positive feedback..
    Blair
    edited November 25, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Absolutely awesome shots, Blair. It sounds like quite the adventure you had capturing these, pretty daring actually. I can imagine how difficult it is to extract some contrast out of the ice, as I have a series of frozen waterfall shots I've never shown for the same reason. I'd be curious to hear what software you used for these, or any other tips. Congrats on getting some really epic wall hangers there.

-joel

Thanks Joel.. It's not that daring really, but it is exciting. I love taking out people for their first time to see these. Although I have seen a few founder (roll) I was onshore at the time, also you can sometimes hear the larger ones from a mile away.
    The software that helped me was DxO Optics Pro v6.2 for my raw editor. I downloaded a trial version. It seemed pretty intuitive once I had also downloaded the modules for my cameras and lenses.
    Apart from the lowest iso I always start at -2/3 stop even when it's cloudy and then use a ND or Polarizer when it's brighter and have gone down to -1+ 2/3 stops with filters. Also take your reading off the average of the ice. The theory being that you can recover the shadows more easily than blown out whites. Hope this helps.
    Blair
    edited November 25, 2010
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Wonderful shots! Its amazing that all these shots are from one iceberg, looks like a few different one.
    ohhh man where is my jacket, these are beyond cool.
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    WOW those are really intriguing!
    Bryans12v wrote: »
    Amazing light and shots!! Thanks for sharing!
    jackiejay wrote: »
    These were amazing pictures I enjoyed looking at them :)
    ashrugged wrote: »
    the processing is great. I will surely visit your iceburg gallery.

Thank-you everybody for your comments. The one thing about icebergs is that the changes can be dramatic as you circle, not only from the angle you're shooting from, but also over time since most of the larger ones are aground offshore and can stay for weeks breaking apart (calving) and shifting as they get smaller. I'm counting the days until I return in May....thumb.gif
    Blair
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    great shots...really great shots.........................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    Thanks for sharing! Having just looked at Dan's Sedona view this is a great contrast. ;) I agree you were fortunate with the clouds and you have some great shots - nice job.
    edited November 27, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    great shots...really great shots.........................

Thank-you Art..
    CSwinton wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing! Having just looked at Dan's Sedona view this is a great contrast. ;) I agree you were fortunate with the clouds and you have some great shots - nice job.

Nothing like extremes to keep things interesting....Thanks....:D
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    like 'em all, but # #1 and #4 are amazing... great stuff!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com