Options

Smuggy Kudos!!

xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
edited December 1, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
It's been some time since I've checked in. This note is simply to express kudos for the SmugMug Pro features and functions that have been added over the past couple of years. Looks great!!! Exactly what the doctor ordered -- and more.
:clap:bow

Are you printing and shipping from within Canada yet?:scratch

Xris:rofl
X www.thepicturetaker.ca

Comments

• Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    xris wrote: »
    It's been some time since I've checked in. This note is simply to express kudos for the SmugMug Pro features and functions that have been added over the past couple of years. Looks great!!! Exactly what the doctor ordered -- and more.
    clap.gifbow

Are you printing and shipping from within Canada yet?headscratch.gif

Xrisrolleyes1.gif

Totally agree - and would LOVE to see printing and shipping available in Canada. Right now the dollars are almost at par so it's a non-issue except for the inconvenience and time lag at the border. But, when our currencies diverge - it's HUGE with my clients, especially when you add on the shipping costs and the border issues. Eh Smuggy???
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Thanks for the props!

We don't have a lab in Canada yet. We are working on what will enable us to allow you to present prices in loonies though. It'll take us a while but it's really in the works and plans.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    Thanks for the props!

We don't have a lab in Canada yet. We are working on what will enable us to allow you to present prices in loonies though. It'll take us a while but it's really in the works and plans.

That would be SO appreciated. I love my SM account and the products my clients get - but the US$ thing is a real turnoff north of the border due to fluctuations in currency. And, if you could find a local lab (there ARE good ones in Canada, honestly) and product supplier so customers could avoid the hangups at the border (plus duty etc.) that would REALLY help.

Yep - we are (as you know from the Acadia trip) "loonies" up here rolleyes1.gif
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    Thanks for the props!

Huge Thanks for looking at this Andy, although, I'm sure as Canadians we are not the majority of your customer base, we do represent.
    I was thinking about this issue just the other day while processing print orders. I do love smugmug, but essentially, right now, it's only being used to a minimum of it's capacity as my customers have stated time and again that they'd rather not deal with exchange/boarder/duty etc. Truthfully, right now, smugmug is nothing more than my 3rd back up copy of my work.... I'd love to change that around!:D
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    Hi Colleen, Cici and Xris!! How are you, eh?

I order all of my prints from Bay, and cards and merchandise from EZPrints, through my SmugMug account. I am having more and more success with customers order prints from my site, instead of placing their orders with me. I am sure that the increase in overall on line shopping and the currencies at par are big contributors. I am also really looking forward to being able to show pricing in Canadian dollars on SmugMug - that will be the icing on the cake for me!

As far as duty/tax and trouble at the border - there is none! If your customer chooses the International Airmail option (USPS and Canada Post) then the shipping time can be up to three weeks, and generally the length of time is due to Canada Customs queue for processing the packages.

The other shipping option - International Economy - is via courier. EZPrints ships with FedEx and Bay Photo ships with UPS. Both companies have customs brokerage included in the shipping charge, so the packages clear customs quickly. The posted ship time is 5 - 7 business days, but I almost always receive orders in day 2 or 3 of shipping. I have had the experience of an order placed Thursday morning arriving on my door step in Edmonton before noon Friday! Really!

If you or your customers ever come across additional charges on shipments, let us know. That should not happen - what is displayed in the cart at checkout should be it.

ann
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2010
    Ann McRae wrote: »

I order all of my prints from Bay, and cards and merchandise from EZPrints, through my SmugMug account. I am having more and more success with customers order prints from my site, instead of placing their orders with me. I am sure that the increase in overall on line shopping and the currencies at par are big contributors. I am also really looking forward to being able to show pricing in Canadian dollars on SmugMug - that will be the icing on the cake for me!

As far as duty/tax and trouble at the border - there is none! If your customer chooses the International Airmail option (USPS and Canada Post) then the shipping time can be up to three weeks, and generally the length of time is due to Canada Customs queue for processing the packages.

The other shipping option - International Economy - is via courier. EZPrints ships with FedEx and Bay Photo ships with UPS. Both companies have customs brokerage included in the shipping charge, so the packages clear customs quickly. The posted ship time is 5 - 7 business days, but I almost always receive orders in day 2 or 3 of shipping. I have had the experience of an order placed Thursday morning arriving on my door step in Edmonton before noon Friday! Really!

If you or your customers ever come across additional charges on shipments, let us know. That should not happen - what is displayed in the cart at checkout should be it.

ann

Thanks Ann. My experience is a lot like yours in that my customers are becoming accustomed to ordering on-line. Frankly, I want to shoot not be an order fulfillment person so the whole SM set up works well for me - except for the Cdn. currency thing.

I haven't had a lot of complaints about the border thing - and none recently - but there seemed to be a bunch of them at one time not too long ago. Maybe there was a backlog or something. Anyway, I will keep this in mind and follow-up with customers.

Yes - Cdn. currency would make all of our lives much better. My customers are very happy with the quality of products received from Bay Photo.
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Ann McRae wrote: »

ann

This happened after bay photo came on board, I guess?
    I had numerous complaints and general dissatisfaction overall when my clients ordered through the site. Largely, their complaint was, we live in the same city/province/country, but they were expected to pay not only a shipping fee, but a brokerage/duty as well. For some it didn't sit well. Products were always well loved, just not the challenges to get them here.
    I have since started using smug as my backup/proofing site and work closely with a lab here. Even though I still have to pay shipping fees, which are of course, passed along and shared with clients, it is still more economical to do it this way... time & cost factored in.

I love smug, don't get me wrong... ideally, I would be thrilled to have the ability to partner with a quality Canadian lab, to knock out that last little bit of resistance, and to simplify my life even more!
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    cdonovan wrote: »
    This happened after bay photo came on board, I guess?
    I had numerous complaints and general dissatisfaction overall when my clients ordered through the site. Largely, their complaint was, we live in the same city/province/country, but they were expected to pay not only a shipping fee, but a brokerage/duty as well. For some it didn't sit well. Products were always well loved, just not the challenges to get them here.
    I have since started using smug as my backup/proofing site and work closely with a lab here. Even though I still have to pay shipping fees, which are of course, passed along and shared with clients, it is still more economical to do it this way... time & cost factored in.

I love smug, don't get me wrong... ideally, I would be thrilled to have the ability to partner with a quality Canadian lab, to knock out that last little bit of resistance, and to simplify my life even more!

Very well put, Cdon. I waited for years with a long list of pro needs. Sadly, I had to move on. Since then it seems all but two of that long list of business-to-business requirements has been addressed in the new version of Pro. Everything looks great!! Unfortunately the two most important items -- local lab and local currency -- remain outstanding . rolleyes1.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca