OOPS - How to Process G12 RAW Images?

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited November 25, 2010 in Finishing School
I thought I'd be a hot-shot and upgrade to the G-12, but surprise! LR 3 does not support the G12's RAW files. :cry

Please advise.
Thank you.

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 24, 2010
    Convert them to DNG files perhaps?

Or process them to tiffs with the software - Digital Photo Pro - that came with the camera.

Check to be sure your LR3 is up to date too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Convert them to DNG files perhaps?

Or process them to tiffs with the software - Digital Photo Pro - that came with the camera.

Check to be sure your LR3 is up to date too.

I now know that LR3 does not support Raw from G12. Very disappointing. I will probably return the camera.
    edited November 24, 2010
    I am confident that is will soon as LR has supported each of the Canon cameras G9.G10, G11, etc.

Why not convert the files to DNGs, that is how I store my RAW image now?

edited November 24, 2010
    I am confident that is will soon as LR has supported each of the Canon cameras G9.G10, G11, etc.

Why not convert the files to DNGs, that is how I store my RAW image now?

How/where does one convert to DNG?
    edited November 24, 2010
    Adobe offers a converter, and LR will convert files on importation.

Or convert your RAW files to Tiffs with DPP that came with your camera until Adobe updates LR3. I think that should happen fairly quickly. It usually has not taken very long for new cameras to be picked up by Adobe for their Raw converter software.

edited November 24, 2010
    Adobe offers a converter, and LR will convert files on importation.

Or convert your RAW files to Tiffs with DPP that came with your camera until Adobe updates LR3. I think that should happen fairly quickly. It usually has not taken very long for new cameras to be picked up by Adobe for their Raw converter software.

Thanks. This has thrown a huge monkey wrench into my works. It will all look better in the morning.

Happy Thanksgiving.
    edited November 24, 2010
    Sara are you in OS X or Windows 7?

I read the LR3.3 in OS X does support the G12 here in this adobe thead - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/756194?tstart=0

I do not have a G12, so I don't have any personal experience, but new cameras always take some time to be picked up by Adobe, but the G12 WILL be I am certain, if it has not been already.

Here is another link that says LR3.3 supports the G12 - http://www.flickr.com/groups/1088996@N21/discuss/72157625116168363/

You're sure you are up to date with your LR software updates?

Not sure about Windows, as I live in a different universe.

edited November 24, 2010
    Sara are you in OS X or Windows 7?

I read the LR3.3 in OS X does support the G12 here in this adobe thead - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/756194?tstart=0

I do not have a G12, so I don't have any personal experience, but new cameras always take some time to be picked up by Adobe, but the G12 WILL be I am certain, if it has not been already.

Here is another link that says LR3.3 supports the G12 - http://www.flickr.com/groups/1088996@N21/discuss/72157625116168363/

You're sure you are up to date with your LR software updates?

Not sure about Windows, as I live in a different universe.

I'm on 7.
    I thought I was up to date, but will double check tomorrow.
    Thanks so much:D
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited November 25, 2010
    There is G12 support in LR3.3, but be aware that currently it is a release candidate, not an official release. The current production release of Lightroom is 3.2, and it does not support the G12. The good news is that the G12 support will eventually be there officially, and you won't have to upgrade to LR4 to get it. You might want to scan the Web about bugs and gotchas in the release candidate before you download it. If you don't want to risk using betaware, you could use DNG or DPP for now, then do the free update to 3.3 when it becomes official.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited November 25, 2010
    The software release cycle really looks more like this:

• Version 3.0. -- Actually it's the first thing they try to sell, because the seed capital has run out, and nobody will buy a 1.0 version of anything.
    • Version 3.1 -- Same as 3.0 but crashes your machine less often.
    • Version 3.5 -- Fixes the worst known bugs in 3.1.
    • Version 4.0 RC1 -- Adds new features, some of which work. Reintroduces most of the bugs fixed in 3.5.
    • Version 4.0 RC2 -- Fixes the bugs fixed in 3.5.
    • Version 6.0 -- The official release of 4.0 RC2. Nothing has changed except the version number, which had to be bumped because the competition is already on version 8.
    • Version 6.5 -- Fixes the bugs in the new features of 4.0 RC1.
    • Version 7.0 -- New features, but only in 64-bit environment with 48GB of RAM. Half of the other features only work in 32-bit environment.
    • Version 8.0 -- Adds Facebook, Twitter, and cellphone support, which nobody ever requested.
    • New product name, Version 1.0 Public Beta -- Everything now works in 64-bit environment only, but now requires 96GB of RAM, and different file format.
    • End of product -- Company acquired by Adobe. Founders hired as executives by Oracle.
    mwink.gif
    edited November 25, 2010
    Richard wrote: »

• Version 3.0. -- Actually it's the first thing they try to sell, because the seed capital has run out, and nobody will buy a 1.0 version of anything.
    • Version 4.0 RC1 -- Adds new features, some of which work. Reintroduces most of the bugs fixed in 3.5.
    • Version 6.0 -- The official release of 4.0 RC2. Nothing has changed except the version number, which had to be bumped because the competition is already on version 8.
    • Version 7.0 -- New features, but only in 64-bit environment with 48GB of RAM. Half of the other features only work in 32-bit environment.
    • Version 8.0 -- Adds Facebook, Twitter, and cellphone support, which nobody ever requested.
    • New product name, Version 1.0 Public Beta -- Everything now works in 64-bit environment only, but now requires 96GB of RAM, and different file format.
    • End of product -- Company acquired by Adobe. Founders hired as executives by Oracle.
    mwink.gif
    That's quite the analysis, Richard. :D

I did have some trepidations about downloading 3.3, but it's done, and it works on G12 RAW files. I mean, not being the most patient person on earth, and all.

So far, the camera is looking really good. I do a fair amount of low-light, no flash, convert to grainy BW shooting, and a couple of images I shot last night that barely showed on the screen I was able to pull up from practically nothing. Here is one, shot at 3200 ISO, 1/30@f2.8. This venue is probably one of the more extreme situations I encounter in my travels, and the camera was only hours old. I'm glad to see that I can end up with something at least recognizable, even in the dark. Being the old Tri-x-pushed-to -800 junkie that I am, I don't even mind the grain.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what else this camera can do.

If there's a problem with 3.3, I can revert to 3.2, correct?

(ps - don't let the empty beer glass next to my fiddle give you the wrong impression...)

1103936910_Q9s4L-S.jpg
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    Don’t sell the camera, the official 3.3 LR should handle this all fine. But do write a letter to the manufacturer and tell them you are sick and tired of their continued use of proprietary raw files that require Adobe and others to hack into the format every time a new product is released while you have to wait for software support from all 3rd parties. If they would optionally write a DNG, Adobe could access this data the day the product is released. Bottom line, proprietary data for end user = bad, proprietary data for manufacturer, good (for whatever silly reason). The camera has no issue writing a non proprietary JPEG right? Why are we all held hostage by the manufacturers because we desire to use raw data in a product other than their’s to process OUR images?
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
    edited November 25, 2010
    arodney wrote: »
    Don’t sell the camera, the official 3.3 LR should handle this all fine. But do write a letter to the manufacturer and tell them you are sick and tired of their continued use of proprietary raw files that require Adobe and others to hack into the format every time a new product is released while you have to wait for software support from all 3rd parties. If they would optionally write a DNG, Adobe could access this data the day the product is released. Bottom line, proprietary data for end user = bad, proprietary data for manufacturer, good (for whatever silly reason). The camera has no issue writing a non proprietary JPEG right? Why are we all held hostage by the manufacturers because we desire to use raw data in a product other than their’s to process OUR images?

It's the same conspiracy that prevents me from finding a mat with a 10x15 opening (full frame, folks! hello!!!).
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    sara505 wrote: »
    It's the same conspiracy that prevents me from finding a mat with a 10x15 opening (full frame, folks! hello!!!).

There's a guy here on Nantucket that cuts 'em custom while you wait - saw him yesterday, Sara.
    edited November 25, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    There's a guy here on Nantucket that cuts 'em custom while you wait - saw him yesterday, Sara.

You and your Nantucket this, Nantucket that - we have to talk, Andy. rolleyes1.gif

(hope you're having a grand time!)
    edited November 25, 2010
    sara505 wrote: »
    So far, the camera is looking really good. I do a fair amount of low-light, no flash, convert to grainy BW shooting, and a couple of images I shot last night that barely showed on the screen I was able to pull up from practically nothing. Here is one, shot at 3200 ISO, 1/30@f2.8. This venue is probably one of the more extreme situations I encounter in my travels, and the camera was only hours old. I'm glad to see that I can end up with something at least recognizable, even in the dark. Being the old Tri-x-pushed-to -800 junkie that I am, I don't even mind the grain.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what else this camera can do.

(ps - don't let the empty beer glass next to my fiddle give you the wrong impression...)

1103936910_Q9s4L-S.jpg

Who would have ever thought we would have usable ISO 3200 in pocket style P&S cameras. Amazing...

I find myself getting images with my Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 that I would have not thought possible too.

• arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010

There isn’t going to be a problem but yes, you could as the database isn’t different. The differences in 3.2 and 3.3. are bug fixes and camera support.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    Richard wrote: »

mwink.gif

Laughing.gif, so true...rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited November 25, 2010
    Who would have ever thought we would have usable ISO 3200 in pocket style P&S cameras. Amazing...

I find myself getting images with my Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 that I would have not thought possible too.

Plus, I discovered today there's a Low Light mode that goes up to 12800ISO (JPG).

It is pretty amazing!
    edited November 25, 2010
    arodney wrote: »
    There isn’t going to be a problem but yes, you could as the database isn’t different. The differences in 3.2 and 3.3. are bug fixes and camera support.

Good to know - thanks - I agree.