Lightroom and wide gamut monitors

CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
edited November 29, 2010 in Finishing School
I know that Lightroom is color space aware, however, if my target color space is something other than sRGB would I gain much by using a wide gamut monitor in Lighroom? If I understand correctly, Lightroom uses ProPhotoRGB internally - how does this work with a display that supports a gamut wider than the traditional sRGB (such as AdobeRGB)?

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 28, 2010
    If you plan to print directly to an fine art inkjet printer with a color ink gamut suitable for aRGB, then setting up your monitor for aRGB might make sense as well. But it won't offer you much for the web right now, I don't believe.

I do not have a wide gamut monitor, so maybe some folks that do will offer their opinions.

Lightroom and Photoshop both do use ProPhoto RGB internally, is my understanding.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    Lightroom like Photoshop is fully ICC aware, you can use it with a wide gamut display just like all other color managed applications. Your target color space can be anything that has an embedded ICC profile and LR will preview it correctly. All colors that exceed sRGB but fall within Adobe RGB (1998) or the max gamut of the display will be visible. Colors that exceed sRGB in this case would not be visible on a “standard” sRGB-like display, hence the advantage of wide gamut displays! FWIW, you will not “setup” (calibrate) the display for “Adobe RGB (1998)” because its a wide gamut display anymore than someone with an sRGB like display will or can calibrate to sRGB! You calibrate a display to produce a visual match to a print next to that display, being viewed under a controlled illuminant. See:http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/