Improved DIY Beauty Dish for Under $35

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited August 8, 2011 in People
Some of you may recall my post (http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=180289) a few weeks back where I showed off a DIY beauty dish I made from stuff I had laying around in my garage. Well, I made a second version of it, this time using more durable materials. Thought I'd post a guide on how I made it along with some pics in case one of you feels like making one.

Materials List:
  • 16 quart steel mixing bowl - $12
  • 8" pizza tray $1.50
  • 3 x 4" #10 bolts $1
  • (4) 3/4" #6 bolts - $1
  • (9) #10 nuts - $2
  • (4) #6 nuts - $1
  • (4) #6 wing nuts - $1.50
  • Satin black spray paint - $3.59
  • Flat white spray paint - $3.59
  • Clear coat spray paint - $4
  • Speed-light softbox speed-ring and stand mount - free (from softbox I own)

Tools Needed:
  • Dremel with metal cutting disc
  • Screw Driver
  • Fine grit sand paper
  • Drill
  • 9/64 drill bit
  • 1/4 drill bit

Before I get into the instructions, I thought I'd post a few pictures of the completed beauty dish and a few that I took with the dish:

1104804191_vLVkF-L.jpg

1104804917_Tjem5-L.jpg

1104805600_3VRdQ-L.jpg

1104810650_P9eBN-L.jpg

1104809299_T4t7z-L.jpg

Here are a few quick shots I took of my wife with the beauty dish... Paramount setup but only with the dish, no fill and other than sharpening, they're SOOC:

1104807956_oyX6g-XL.jpg

1104807412_hqYRo-XL.jpg

1104806179_ComkB-XL.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Just in case you don't know what a 16 quart mixing bowl or 8" pizza tray is, here you go. BTW, I picked these up at a local restaurant supply store:

1104803730_t3zDQ-M.jpg

I tackled what I thought would be the most difficult part first... cutting the hole in the back of the bowl for the speed-light.

#1 - I used the stofen diffuser that fits perfectly on the my SB-600 flash as my guide. I used the back outside dimension since this would be a little bigger than the actual flash head so my flash would fit easily in the hole without scraping. Also, I wanted it to be able to fit other flashes in case I bought a different brand or model:
    1104802018_wxd3C-M.jpg

#2 - I made a template from cardboard by tracing the stofen diffuser onto the cardboard and then cutting it out. I found the center of the template and poked a hole in it:
    1104799210_ac259-M.jpg

#3 - I then found and marked the center of the back of the mixing bowl and aligned the hole in the template with the mark. Then I traced it with a sharpie:
    1104801223_zR8Gw-L.jpg

#4 - Here is the outline of the template:
    1104799886_3SGwA-M.jpg

#5 - Next I took my Dremel loaded with a small metal cutting disc and cut out the hole. It was actually quite easy. I cut along the outside of the sharpie outline because I wanted to make sure the hole wasn't too small. I wish I had taken pics of me actually cutting the hole but I didn't feel like setting up my tripod. ****Caution - do not cut the hole inside the house unless your single and don't mind the stink of burnt metal. My wife didn't enjoy coming home to the smell.
    1104798557_LCaL6-M.jpg

#6 - With the hole cut in the mixing bowl, I put it aside and worked on the pizza tray which is going to function as the reflector to bounce the light from the flash back into the dish. I needed to make 3 holes in the pizza tray for the bolts that will mount the tray onto the bowl. First, I eyeballed where I wanted the holes and marked the spots with a sharpie. Then I drilled the holes using a 1/4 drill bit and my cordless drill:
    1104797910_e7QWu-M.jpg

#7 - With the holes in the pizza tray done, I centered the pizza tray inside the mixing bowl and transfered the hole pattern onto the mixing bowl with a sharpie:
    1104797170_fnqp3-M.jpg

#8 - Here are the marks for the holes, which will align the holes in the pizza tray to the ones I about to make in the mixing bowl:
    1104796453_qhihh-M.jpg

#9 - Using the same 1/4 drill bit, I drilled out the holes in the bottom of the mixing bowl:
    1104795983_itRn4-M.jpg

My Smug Site
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    #10 - Next, I assembled the pizza tray/reflector to the mixing bowl. First I attached the 4" #10 bolts to the mixing bowl using #10 nuts. Just slide the bolts in from the back and then tighten the nuts onto the bolts:
    1104793980_rpKrd-L.jpg

#11 - Now take another set of nuts and screw them onto the bolts. The pizza tray will rest on these bolts so screw them down to the position you want the pizza tray to sit. I screwed them down about 1/2":
    1104793104_zCN3N-L.jpg

#12 - Now place the pizza tray on the bolts
    1104792381_hFA84-L.jpg

#13 - Next take another set of nuts and secure the pizza tray in place. Your beauty dish should now be taking shape:
    1104812758_rvQJc-L.jpg

1104813747_q2Uqd-XL.jpg

1104811627_xP3FS-L.jpg

#14 - I don't have pictures of the rest of the steps but it's pretty straight forward from here. I took the speed ring from my softbox mount, marked the hole pattern on the back of the mixing bowl and drilled the holes for the bolts that will secure the speed ring to the beauty dish. The size holes you will make will depend on the speed ring that you have. My speed ring had holes that would accommodate #6 screws so I used a 9/64 drill bit to drill the holes.

#15 - Next I lightly sanded the mixing bowl and pizza tray just to give the paint a better surface to stick to.

#16 - Now came paint. I gave the inside and outside 3 coats of spray paint. Flat white on the inside and satin black on the outside. I also gave each side of the pizza tray 3 coats of flat white spray paint. I allowed 3 hours dry time in between coats. Then I let it sit for 24-hours.

#17 - I gave everything 2 coats of clear coat spray paint just for good measure. This will help protect the paint from chipping and scratching too easily. Again, gave this 24-hours to dry.

#18 - After everything was nice and cured, I reassembled everything the same way I did in the earlier steps. I also mounted the speed ring and stand mount and viola, I had a well built beauty dish that rivals an expensive store bought model:

1104874596_CNuui-XL.jpg

1104804191_vLVkF-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
  • digidronedigidrone Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Well Done!
    This will outlast the flimsy one I purchased!
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Darn nice build, my friend. I have a feeling that piece of gear will last you for a very long time.

One small piece of advice: since the pizza tray is floating on the bolts and only held in place by nuts, I suggest you replace those nuts with lock nuts, something like these:
    http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=1137018&ucst=t

That will prevent the nuts from coming loose during normal transport and storage, and keep the pizza tray precisely aligned inside the mixing bowl; my guess is that if it's mis-aligned, the light will spill unevenly to one side of the bowl and give you a weird shadow effect in a shot. The last thing you want is for your nuts to fall off.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Very helpful and thorough. I wonder if a metal dog bowl would be as effective and more readily available.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited November 26, 2010
    Very helpful and thorough. I wonder if a metal dog bowl would be as effective and more readily available.

The metal dog bool should work but you'll need to find one that is big enough and when you do, it will probably cost you 3 times as much as the mixing bowl. A 16 quart mixing bowl is 18" in diameter so it's pretty large. I had no problem finding it online but I ended up finding it locally as I mention in my OP.

My Smug Site
    edited November 26, 2010
    WillCAD wrote: »
    Darn nice build, my friend. I have a feeling that piece of gear will last you for a very long time.

One small piece of advice: since the pizza tray is floating on the bolts and only held in place by nuts, I suggest you replace those nuts with lock nuts, something like these:
    http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=1137018&ucst=t

That will prevent the nuts from coming loose during normal transport and storage, and keep the pizza tray precisely aligned inside the mixing bowl; my guess is that if it's mis-aligned, the light will spill unevenly to one side of the bowl and give you a weird shadow effect in a shot. The last thing you want is for your nuts to fall off.

Had the same thought about the lock nuts and if you look at the finished picture, you'll see I replaced the original nuts with lock nuts. Good catch though as I forgot to mention it. Also am going to use lock washers. Just need to buy them.

My Smug Site
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Great Idea...
    I like your idea! It loks quite professional and the results are very nice.

I am considering modifying the plans to accept one of my studio strobes.

I like the results of a beauty dish but, since I will seldom use one, do not desire to spend the big bucks to purchase a commercially made model...
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Nice job, Alex! It's only cost-effective if you already have (or need to acquire for other reasons) a Dremel, though, so for me it would be a major project. Looks very sturdy, however, and you're right - much better than some of the el cheapo ones that are being sold!

Btw, what's "Paramount setup"? Presumably what the studio used but... care to share the specifics for those of us who don't know yet? :D
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Great job Alex! thumb.gifclap.gifbow
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Btw, what's "Paramount setup"? Presumably what the studio used but... care to share the specifics for those of us who don't know yet? :D
    When in doubt... mwink.gif
    http://www.studiolighting.net/paramount-butterfly-lighting-studio-lighting-setup/ deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Very clean!
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
    edited November 26, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »

Ha - yes, sorry, I DO usually do my own research, but had people talking to me (family holiday and all that) and my fingers just kinda typed the question... lol3.gif

Funny that this is essentially the setup I use for about 80% of my formal portraits indoors, although with a Softliter or umbrella rather than beauty dish. Ha!

I think it's time to get a bigger foil pan for my ghetto version rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 26, 2010
    rpcrowe wrote: »
    I like your idea! It loks quite professional and the results are very nice.

I am considering modifying the plans to accept one of my studio strobes.

I like the results of a beauty dish but, since I will seldom use one, do not desire to spend the big bucks to purchase a commercially made model...

I considered making this to work with my Alien Bees but I thought I'd first cut the hole for my speed flash since I can always make it bigger but not smaller. The biggest issue is that if I cut a round how to fit my Alien Bees strobe, when I use the speed flash, I will have a lot of light spill. I am thinking of using a small piece of black cloth, attached with velcro to the dish to cover the gaps around the speed light and prevent light spill.

I have to think about this a bit before I cut the dish to fit it because once I do, I can go back.

My Smug Site
    edited November 26, 2010
    Nice job, Alex! It's only cost-effective if you already have (or need to acquire for other reasons) a Dremel, though, so for me it would be a major project. Looks very sturdy, however, and you're right - much better than some of the el cheapo ones that are being sold!

Diva... You may actually be able to cut the hole using the jig saw with a metal cutting blade. You'll have to drill a hole in each corner of the outline so you can get the jig blade in to start the cut. Tin snips may work as well but you may have to drill a few holes along the outline to make it easier to cut through. Tin ships are like heavy duty scissors that are using to cut tin and thin metal.

My Smug Site
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010

There are a ton of other ways you can cut the hole cheaply if need be. If all else fails you could just drill holes around the perimeter where you want to the hole cut and find something to snap the small pieces of metal remaining, you could use a hole saw (which I plan to do if I ever make one) with an appropriately sized drill bit.. Just think outside the box. There is more than one way to cut a hole. :)
    edited November 26, 2010
    There are a ton of other ways you can cut the hole cheaply if need be. If all else fails you could just drill holes around the perimeter where you want to the hole cut and find something to snap the small pieces of metal remaining, you could use a hole saw (which I plan to do if I ever make one) with an appropriately sized drill bit.. Just think outside the box. There is more than one way to cut a hole. :)

Exactly. If you drill the small hole around the perimeter, you can probably use tin snips to cut it out. Tin snips run about $15 for a nice pair. An angle grinder, fitted with a metal cutting disc would work as well.

My Smug Site
    edited November 26, 2010
    As is abundantly obvious, I've never worked with metal before - didn't know any of those could work rolleyes1.gif Thanks!!! thumb.gif
    edited November 26, 2010
    As is abundantly obvious, I've never worked with metal before - didn't know any of those could work rolleyes1.gif Thanks!!! thumb.gif

No worries Diva. Let me know if you decide to make one and if you need any help. BTW, my next project is to turn my shoot through umbrella into a Brolly box. Just need to go down to the fabric store. Hopefully I still remember what I learned in the 7th grade when I took sewing. eek7.gif

My Smug Site
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Nice work, Alex. Here's a video version for those who need more visual guide.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
    edited November 26, 2010
    Here is another shot of the wife with the beauty dish. I did a little post work on this one.

1104899773_dyJfG-XL-1.jpg

My Smug Site
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    It's only cost-effective if you already have (or need to acquire for other reasons) a Dremel, though, so for me it would be a major project.

You also can sometimes get a different shop to help you out. I have gone to the local bicycle store to get a shelf for my motorcycle cut (I let the magic smoke out of the first Dremel). So sometimes other places that work with metal might be willing to help out. Also some of the hardware stores here rent out tools for home improvement projects - they want you to buy the materials there.

If you are lucky enough to live near one of these.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TechShop you could get it done in a few minutes.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • f-stop photof-stop photo Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 8, 2011
    question for all the beauty dish users.. what type & size FLASH.?
    edited August 8, 2011
    question for all the beauty dish users.. what type & size FLASH.?

I originally made this for my Nikon SB-600 hot shoe flash. It worked quite well. However, I ended up modifying it to fit my Alien Bees strobes since I use them much more than my Nikon flash. I actually just used it with my AB800 for a few sessions. Here is one of the shots:

DSC7249-Edit-XL.jpg

I just bought some material to make a sock for it to diffuse the light just a tad. I don't really think it needs it but I want to try to see if the light looks different/better with the sock. I only paid $3 for the material and elastic so why not.

My Smug Site