New G9 listed at $1,202.00?

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited November 27, 2010 in Cameras
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-G9-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B000V1VG5G

Having recently purchased the G12 and considering selling my G9, I came across the above Amazon ad.

What am I missing, here? I simply do not understand this.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    "Sold by ApexSuppliers"

Stay away from this one.
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    "Sold by ApexSuppliers"

Stay away from this one.

What's the logic behind trying to sell a camera that's a few years old that has a couple of more recent versions under its belt, indeed the brand-spanking new G12 is selling for less than half this figure?

Even more, what would be the logic of buying this thing - from anyone - at this price?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited November 26, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    "Sold by ApexSuppliers"

Stay away from this one.

15524779-Ti.gif This time of year brings out the "rip-off" artists. If prices seem waaay too high or waaay too low to be realistic, they are just that ...

The too high prices are just looking for people who don't know the value of items.

The too low prices are just different types of scams and you may not get anything at all, or not what you wanted.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited November 26, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif This time of year brings out the "rip-off" artists. If prices seem waaay too high or waaay too low to be realistic, they are just that ...

The too high prices are just looking for people who don't know the value of items.

The too low prices are just different types of scams and you may not get anything at all, or not what you wanted.

Ahhh...got it.

Okay, so I guess I'll have to remove the $1,500 price from my ad :D

While the Amazon ad is laughable, I guess there is still the potential customer who thinks - the higher the price, the more valuable the product.

Strange world.
    edited November 26, 2010
    Ha ha, my first, gut reaction, was - holy crap, I better not sell my G9 - it's too valuable. :D
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Yes, there are a lot of those really high prices on Amazon Marketplace. And, there are some really low ones (usually, the seller has just started and so there are conveniently no reviews ;~). And on eBay too, as well as a bunch of other places. Let's see, I think I saw a Canon A650 on ebay for $700.
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Well, the G9 is out of production, so that makes it (in some sense) a "rarity" or "collector's item" -- quick, get one before they're all gone! In 50 years people will be paying thousands for a vintage G9, just like they do today for a Leica M3! :)
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
    edited November 26, 2010
    Oh, and that reminds me, I've got a vintage Canon G2 that I could let you have for a bargain price -- only $2000! It still works, too! PM me if interested. :)

• gowiththeflowgowiththeflow Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »

Nah, just 3rd party sellers on Amazon rolleyes1.gif

I had a CP8700, and just gave it to my mom, figuring it wasn't worth the hassle of selling it on ebay to get $50 or so. Then I saw what they're priced at on Amazon. eek7.gif

There were a handful of sellers trying to get $800+ for SB-800s, too. I don't know who falls for that, but at that price, I guess you just need one.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    craig_d wrote: »
    Oh, and that reminds me, I've got a vintage Canon G2 that I could let you have for a bargain price -- only $2000! It still works, too! PM me if interested. :)

HA, you lightweight! I'll let my G1 go for only $850. Heck, I think that's what I paid for it. Take that!

1105130501_WtnRi-L.jpg
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    silly.
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    craig_d wrote: »

Yeah... and I've got a bunch of empty plastic film canisters - perfect to carry spare SD cards. $10.00 each.

Seriously, I'm not sure what saddens me more; the thought that these rip-off artists taking advantage of poorly informed buyers, or that there are such poorly informed buyers willing to part with their cash. Sigh.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
    edited November 26, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    Perhaps its an attempt to improve the gene pool, hoping to make the hard of thinking so poor they can't afford kids?

Now there's an idea I could get behind!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
    edited November 26, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    Perhaps its an attempt to improve the gene pool, hoping to make the hard of thinking so poor they can't afford kids?

That obviously won't work. Look at the world around you.

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Actually, I"ve noticed this with some other deleted models that were very popular, particularly if they were considered "better" than the replacement. That Powershot sx110 is one of those - it actually changes hands for more than the current model from what I've seen on Amazon and eBay. Is the G9 similarly regarded?
    edited November 26, 2010
    billseye wrote: »
    Yeah... and I've got a bunch of empty plastic film canisters - perfect to carry spare SD cards. $10.00 each.

hmm, that's not what we used them for back in the 60s:ivar
    edited November 27, 2010
    Seymore wrote: »
    Shame, shame... :nono
    You're showing your age! :uhoh
    :hide

Love my age! :D
    edited November 27, 2010
    sara505 wrote: »
    hmm, that's not what we used them for back in the 60s:ivar