Flash gelling - CTO vs. CTS

El ComatEl Comat Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited November 30, 2010 in Cameras
First off, happy Thanksgiving to all the Americans on here!

I just read a book on external flash techniques, and the author mentioned that he preferred CTS (Straw) rather than CTO (Orange). I've also read that CTS is preferred for Canon users, as it is less "red" than CTO. Is there any merit to this? If so, how much better is it really? Also, does anyone know where to get a flash modifier kit (in Canada, preferrably) that has CTS filters? I found a nice one at Henry's (Holn I think), but it had CTO. I know you can order the CTO sheets in bulk, but I'd rather buy a pre-made kit.

Any and all advice (and experience) is welcome!
EC

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Speaking from stage (rather than photographic) experience, I've always found that CTS looks more natural; it may just be a case of personal preference.

You can get swatchbooks of gels free from any theatrical lighting company - check your phonebook, and call and ask if they have the Rosco or Lee swatch books. I laminated a dozen or so of the most useable colours ( CTO, CTS, CTB) in plastic sheets and used velcro dots to attach them to my flash, but sticky tape works too :D

Honl and Lastolite both make sets of gels and holders I believe; I know that a few people really like the Phoxle "sticky" gels, too (Heatherfeather and Jeffreaux2 have both mentioned those for ease of use and storage).

ETA: Here's a thread with the swatch gels - I posted some samples in post #16 http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=117510&highlight=velcro
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Neil van Niekerk (of planetneil) prefers CTS over CTO, and I also agree. Less orange for skin tones.
    Randy
  • El ComatEl Comat Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Thanks for the info, Divamum! Your 50mm 1.8 is still alive and well, turning out some great shots :-).

It was Neil's book that I just finished reading which gave me the idea to look for CTS gels. Does anyone know of any kits (like Holn) that have CTS in them?

Thanks,
    EC
    edited November 26, 2010
    thumb.gif - glad the lens worked out for you!
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    As a recovering lighting person - I am now in sound - I agree with Divamum 100% about going with the CTS. I used to use Straw (Rosco #6, 9, & 11 more as an effect) so much that I still remember the numbers more years after college than I want to admit.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • roletterolette Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    El Comat wrote: »
    First off, happy Thanksgiving to all the Americans on here!

I just read a book on external flash techniques, and the author mentioned that he preferred CTS (Straw) rather than CTO (Orange). I've also read that CTS is preferred for Canon users, as it is less "red" than CTO. Is there any merit to this? If so, how much better is it really? Also, does anyone know where to get a flash modifier kit (in Canada, preferrably) that has CTS filters? I found a nice one at Henry's (Holn I think), but it had CTO. I know you can order the CTO sheets in bulk, but I'd rather buy a pre-made kit.

Any and all advice (and experience) is welcome!
    EC

It depends on why you are gelling your flash... For indoor photography, more often than not, flashes are gelled to help adjust the color of the light from the flash to match (roughly) whatever indoor lighting is present to avoid painful post-processing trying to deal with the different temperature lighting.

Doesn't matter what kind of camera you are shooting with in these circumstances. The gel is to match the lights (CTO for tungsten).

When used for special effects, it's a different story.

Jay
    edited November 27, 2010
    Yes I realize that CTO is used to blend with tungsten; but in his book, Neil said that CTS gives a better look (less red/orange) with Canon flashes. I'll use CTO if I have to, but I'd rather find a gel kit that has CTS. If anyone knows of such a kit, I'm all ears (well, eyes).

Thanks,
    EC
  • Y_KnotY_Knot Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    El Comat wrote: »
    Yes I realize that CTO is used to blend with tungsten; but in his book, Neil said that CTS gives a better look (less red/orange) with Canon flashes. I'll use CTO if I have to, but I'd rather find a gel kit that has CTS. If anyone knows of such a kit, I'm all ears (well, eyes).

Thanks,
    EC

Here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300495901649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    edited November 30, 2010
    Thanks for the link...not sure why I didn't think of eBay!
    edited November 30, 2010
    Those actually look exactly like the free swatch strips - just saying.... mwink.gif