Question about soft boxes

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited November 27, 2010 in People
I've seen a few soft boxes but only the one I recently bought up close. Mine is internally lined with a silver reflective material and then has a white diffuser that velcros to the front. Is this the only diffuser that most soft boxes have or do they have another diffuser inside or maybe doubled up on the front?
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    I've seen a few soft boxes but only the one I recently bought up close. Mine is internally lined with a silver reflective material and then has a white diffuser that velcros to the front. Is this the only diffuser that most soft boxes have or do they have another diffuser inside or maybe doubled up on the front?

All mine (profoto and AB) have two - one up front, one in between. All removable.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    All mine (profoto and AB) have two - one up front, one in between. All removable.

Good to know and that's what I thought. The one I bought is a small one - 24" - for a speed light and only has the diffuser up front. I haven't had a chance to shoot with it to see if it needs the second one inside.

Do you know if the Brolly boxes are designed the same way?

My Smug Site
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Good to know and that's what I thought. The one I bought is a small one - 24" - for a speed light and only has the diffuser up front. I haven't had a chance to shoot with it to see if it needs the second one inside.

Do you know if the Brolly boxes are designed the same way?
    Brollyboxes are essentially glorified ubmrellas with black/silver fabric on the back end. I never saw one with a double diffuser and I frankly don't think it's possible/feasible. deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Brollyboxes are essentially glorified ubmrellas with black/silver fabric on the back end. I never saw one with a double diffuser and I frankly don't think it's possible/feasible. deal.gif

Nik... as soon as hit submit on my question, I pictured a Brolly in my mind and considered that it would be impossible, as you state, to have an internal diffuser because of the umbrella hardware. I had already posted the question so figured I leave it just to confirm. Thanks,

My Smug Site
  • tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 27, 2010
    I have a Bowens softboxes and this one has as well an inside diffuser. It is mounted on the 4 corners of the softbox in the middle distance between the lamp and the outer diffuser. Bowens suggests that this will make the light soften even. - sorry for my English, is not my first language.
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    As I understand it (and also from one of Scott Kelby's studio lighting videos), smaller softboxes used with speedlights that fire to the back of the box do not have/need a second diffuser. The boxes used with studio strobes that fire from the rear towards the front need the second internal diffuser to eliminate the hot spot caused by the higher power strobe. (My Westcott Apollos only has one...)
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 27, 2010
    I have softboxes of both kinds, and as Ross said, the ones for the monlights have a diffusion screen internally, and the ones for speedlights ( which tend to be smaller and fold flatter ) do not have internal diffusion.

If you are concerned about the lack of internal diffusion with a smaller softbox, just put a Stofen or similar device over the front of your flash tube on your speedlight.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Another reason that speedlite softboxes do not have the 2nd panel is to keep from having too much light loss.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website