I wonder what's the answer to this one?

jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
edited November 27, 2010 in People
This is my first time to own a DSLR. Bought a used Nikon D70 from ebay. This is my youngest kid trying to solve an online puzzle. Natural light coming from the table lamp and the light reflection from the laptop screen. Image was processed inside photoshop. This is also my first time to try using zone system to understand exposure. C&C would be most welcome. :D

5210046215_8e1c3f9157_b.jpg
Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/

Comments

• b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    jiro wrote: »
    This is my first time to own a DSLR. Bought a used Nikon D70 from ebay. This is my youngest kid trying to solve an online puzzle. Natural light coming from the table lamp and the light reflection from the laptop screen. Image was processed inside photoshop. This is also my first time to try using zone system to understand exposure. C&C would be most welcome. :D

5210046215_8e1c3f9157_b.jpg

Amazing shot for your first time. Very well IMO.
    thumb.gif
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    b08rsa wrote: »
    Amazing shot for your first time. Very well IMO.
    thumb.gif

Thank you very much for the comment. :D

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Normally I would be annoyed by the blown area that surrounds the lamp but I love your processing and I'm not drawn away from his face.
    I would prefer to have cropped the bit of dark area to the far right of the frame out as I feel there is too much going on overall.....
    Very nice, did you shoot film prior to DSLR?
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Very nice. This works well as a b&w conversion. I agree that cropping would help by removing distractions and keeping focus on your boy. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
    edited November 27, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Normally I would be annoyed by the blown area that surrounds the lamp but I love your processing and I'm not drawn away from his face.
    I would prefer to have cropped the bit of dark area to the far right of the frame out as I feel there is too much going on overall.....
    Very nice, did you shoot film prior to DSLR?

Thanks for the comment reyvee61. I can't do much about the blown highlights since it is at Zone IX. If I compensate for that I would lose a lot of detail on the shadow areas. Instead I opted to concentrate on the shadow detail and let the highlights fall naturally. I never thought of the dark area on the far right, thanks for bringing that up. I was waiting for that expression on my kid and I forgot about that part of the composition along the way. Yes, I did shoot film before with a Nikon N70D using fujichrome velvia. I'm only a hobbyist, I figured that shooting digitally is cheaper since there is no film to develop and paper to print if I want to learn to have better photographs. So frankly just another newbie starting to love and learn photography. :D

edited November 27, 2010
    Very nice. This works well as a b&w conversion. I agree that cropping would help by removing distractions and keeping focus on your boy. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Thanks briandelion, I will try to crop the right side and post the changes here. Thanks guys for the nice comments. :D

edited November 27, 2010
    Here's the cropped version. Thanks for the comments guys.
    5211591991_20f8e0220a_b.jpg

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    I do like the crop better....
    Nice work for a newb to digital....if this is how you hit the ground running then it can only get better from here :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited November 27, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    I do like the crop better....
    Nice work for a newb to digital....if this is how you hit the ground running then it can only get better from here :D

Thanks for the compliment reyvee61. I posted some more images practicing on composition at our "Other Cool Shots" section. I would gladly appreciate if you can also comment on those. :D

• Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    I really like this one. The lighting is great and you did a good job on the BW conversation. I do prefer the cropped version. I would be tempted to increase the vignette a bit more to darken the upper right corner a little more.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook