First low key portrait attempt

sebthedog1sebthedog1 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited November 28, 2010 in People
I've just got some flash gear and wanted to have a go at a low key portrait. I took this last night and apart from cutting off part of his hand I was quite pleased with it. I tried shooting through an umbrella to diffuse the light as it seems quite harsh along the underside of his arm but it was throwing too much light on the background and as we were in a very tight space I didn't have much room to move around so went with bare flash instead. What do you think could have been done to improve this as far as the lighting goes. Any other comments would be most appreciated. 5209064279_25e683d4bd_b.jpg

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    One of those cool half lit effects, the type of lighting that would work well with bodyscapes
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 27, 2010
    Very funny, but very nice - love the great goggles :)
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Really good start. I won't comment on the pose, simply on the light.

I think the side light on his face is good. However, it's really hot on the arm. Sounds like you used unmodified flash. I would have tried a couple things:
    • First, with umbrella.. would hav brought it as close as possible to him to keep it out of the frame. This will reduce the amount of spill onto your BG
    • Next, I would try to flag the BG by using something, dark sheet, cardboard, anything that I could place between the light and the BG to again prevent spill.
    • If that didn't work, I place the dark sheet over part of the umbrella to reduce the light coming out of it.
    • If none of that worked, I ditch the umbrella as you did and try kissing the light on the subject. Basically, aim the flash away from the subject so that edges of the light being thrown hit the subject. This should soften the light on the subject. You may have to place a flag between the camera and the light to prevent flare.

OR you can take the less desirable option of doing it in post like here. Hope you don't mind but I took some liberties with your photo. I simply created a duplicate layer. Added an exposure layer adjustment. Unmasked everything except his arm. Then I sharpened it a bit using unsharp mask.

1106250869_FJNdY-XL.jpg

Hope that helps.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Great job!
    You got to start somewhere! I like what you have done here. In looking at it - the first thing that came to mind was a little "NOISE"would have added to the feel as well.
    Of course that's just my opinion.

Bradythumb.gif
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • sebthedog1sebthedog1 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    Really good start. I won't comment on the pose, simply on the light.

I think the side light on his face is good. However, it's really hot on the arm. Sounds like you used unmodified flash. I would have tried a couple things:
    • First, with umbrella.. would hav brought it as close as possible to him to keep it out of the frame. This will reduce the amount of spill onto your BG
    • Next, I would try to flag the BG by using something, dark sheet, cardboard, anything that I could place between the light and the BG to again prevent spill.
    • If that didn't work, I place the dark sheet over part of the umbrella to reduce the light coming out of it.
    • If none of that worked, I ditch the umbrella as you did and try kissing the light on the subject. Basically, aim the flash away from the subject so that edges of the light being thrown hit the subject. This should soften the light on the subject. You may have to place a flag between the camera and the light to prevent flare.
    OR you can take the less desirable option of doing it in post like here. Hope you don't mind but I took some liberties with your photo. I simply created a duplicate layer. Added an exposure layer adjustment. Unmasked everything except his arm. Then I sharpened it a bit using unsharp mask.

1106250869_FJNdY-XL.jpg

Hope that helps.

Many thanks for the reply - everything you've said makes perfect sense so next time I try this I'll follow your advice. I like your edit too - I'm not very confident with PP but seeing what you did encouraged me to go back and have another go and the end result is better so thanks again. :D
  • sebthedog1sebthedog1 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    One of those cool half lit effects, the type of lighting that would work well with bodyscapes

Glad you liked it - don't think I'd like to try my bodyscape like this - far too many lumps and bumps to accentuate rolleyes1.gif
    tomnovy wrote: »
    Very funny, but very nice - love the great goggles :)

Thanks for taking the time out to comment - I used the goggles to try and get him to relax - all the other shots were quite stiff as he doesn't like having his picture taken at all. Most of the pics I have are of the back of his head :D
    Freezframe wrote: »
    You got to start somewhere! I like what you have done here. In looking at it - the first thing that came to mind was a little "NOISE"would have added to the feel as well.
    Of course that's just my opinion.

Bradythumb.gif

Thanks Brady - I'm glad you liked it - there was lots of noise in the room, we were both laughing like drains whilst doing this Laughing.gif