Help! Red Spots

Big RedBig Red Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited November 28, 2010 in People
I need some advice please. Last evening I took some senior shots in low light conditions. I noticed multiple tiny red spots, many of them clusters, on the jpg photos, particularly when over 1000 ISO. I used noise reduction in LR3 but the red spots stayed. I am including a zoomed in photo to show the spots, primarily on the left side of her neck? What is the problem here?

Thanks in advance
http://crumpphotography.smugmug.com/Water-Polo/Morgan-Liberty-HS/IMG8315/1106120280_25JM5-XL.jpg

Comments

• FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Your focus is soft as well!
    Take notice of the bugle on her jacket. This gives me the impression that your focus is shallow. Noise is always more prominent in the shadows so when your focus is soft this will sometimes add to noise especially when using a filter. Question did you forget about a polarizing filter perhaps?

Bradyne_nau.gif
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Typical color noise. Shooting at such a high ISO value and at such a low light is asking for trouble, and you got it ne_nau.gif.
    I don't know what body/lens combo you're using, but you either need to upgrade your hardware or start using flash (or just shoot under more beneficial lighting mwink.gif).
    FWIW the image looks very soft, almost OOF (can be a sign of a non-low-light body and a slow lens).
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Typical color noise. Shooting at such a high ISO value and at such a low light is asking for trouble, and you got it ne_nau.gif.
    I don't know what body/lens combo you're using, but you either need to upgrade your hardware or start using flash (or just shoot under more beneficial lighting mwink.gif).
    FWIW the image looks very soft, almost OOF (can be a sign of a non-low-light body and a slow lens).
    HTH

15524779-Ti.gif Nik beat me to it.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Big RedBig Red Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    I was using a Canon 7d with a 70-200 2.8 non IS. I thought I would be able to shoot at higher ISO's without so much noise. The young lady I was photographing was almost an hour late so I was forced to shoot too late in the day. this was a practice shoot for me.

I hope the softness is partly due to me cropping in a lot to show the red spots.
  • b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Big Red wrote: »
    I need some advice please. Last evening I took some senior shots in low light conditions. I noticed multiple tiny red spots, many of them clusters, on the jpg photos, particularly when over 1000 ISO. I used noise reduction in LR3 but the red spots stayed. I am including a zoomed in photo to show the spots, primarily on the left side of her neck? What is the problem here?

Thanks in advance
    http://crumpphotography.smugmug.com/Water-Polo/Morgan-Liberty-HS/IMG8315/1106120280_25JM5-XL.jpg

I would go with a flash if shooting in low light condition. IMO, I would probably use a different lens. I only use my f2.8 70-200mm to shoot daylight outdoor sports. I finally got tired, and fustrated the point where I would try to shoot indoor soccer with my 70-200mm lens at ISO 1600, and still not get my shutter speed fast enough to get a clean shot.
    I use a Promaster 7500EDF on my Oly 510, which seems to do OK. Not plugging Promaster, but it was half the price of the Oly R50 Flash. By all means, I am not a pro at portrait photography, but I am passing knowledge that I have learned and expiermented with. Hope this helps.
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    This really surprises me from the 7D as I've seen much better results at even higher ISO's.
    I'm a bit puzzled unless the lighting was indeed very poor and you bumped the exposure considerably in post.....

Do you shoot RAW?

I'm going to rule out gear being the issue and say that your light was very poor....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    This really surprise me from the 7D as I've seen much better results at even higher ISO's.
    I'm a bit puzzled unless the lighting was indeed very poor and you bump the exposure in post.....

Do you shoot RAW?

I'm going to rule out gear being the issue and say that your light was very poor....

7D + 70-200/2.8 (even non IS) is a very nice low light combo, I'm really surprised how bad this one turned out :-( I guess it was a really bad light. Stick to flash then. Even a built-in one wold help...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited November 27, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    7D + 70-200/2.8 (even non IS) is a very nice low light combo, I'm really surprised how bad this one turned out :-( I guess it was a really bad light. Stick to flash then. Even a built-in one wold help...

I'm looking at the portfolio and I see that most of the body of work is done with excellent lighting. I'm quite the opposite as I usually shoot low light events with ISO's of 2000 or higher and I've never encountered such noise even in the blacks. I know the 7D can nearly match the D700 in this category since my close friend owns one and we've done side by side comparisons...
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Big RedBig Red Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    Regarding the soft focus, I was shooting in 2.8 and the lighting was bad. However, in the rest of my shots I was shooting in 2.8 with good light also. I think that is a habit because I shoot sports actions shots. For portraits should I be shooting at f4, f5.6 for sharper photos in good lighting conditions?
    edited November 28, 2010
    I typically will shoot at f/8 for better depth but will also shoot wider at f/4...of course the distance you are from your subject makes a difference for DOF as well
    Yo soy Reynaldo