LR display vs JPEG vs RAW vs SMUGMUG

firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited November 29, 2010 in Finishing School
Hi Dgrinners,

Why does my picture look pixelated between LR, SMUGMUG, raw and jpeg? Sharpening?

Looks fine in developer module
1106143454_465HR-X2.png

Looks like crap in library mod
1106143097_ChvgA-X2.png

Looks bad in smugmug
1106143120_nkZTs-X2.png

Original JPEG looks ok at full size in SMUG
1106143671_hipdo-L.png

Tips and help to get this to look right would be appreciated.
:scratch

-Kevin

Comments

• BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    I am by no means an expert in these things but a few things that might help.

Safari does a horrible job with color management, I highly highly recommend going to Firefox. I read OneThumg's (Don's) blog about color space issues or this page http://www.smugmug.com/help/safari/safari.html and thought no big deal. Then I looked at the same image side by side by side in LR, Safari, and Firefox and the red was much much better and pretty much matched LR in Firefox.

Also the other thing about the library is that the images in the window are previews typically until it renders a high quality version, especially since it looks like you are shooting RAW. Also what do you have the setting for JPEG compression at?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    wow...looks like it's a combo of my calibrated monitor settings and safari.
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    Safari and what I see in LR or Photoshop match exactly so considering there are only what, two color managed browsers, I’m not sure where the comment about Safari comes from. FWIW, Safari and FireFox produce identical previews on this end.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • marchymanmarchyman Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    arodney wrote: »
    Safari and what I see in LR or Photoshop match exactly so considering there are only what, two color managed browsers, I’m not sure where the comment about Safari comes from. FWIW, Safari and FireFox produce identical previews on this end.

It comes from 2007 when macs were still using 1.8 gamma. That is no longer true.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3712?viewlocale=en_US says:
    For most displays, Mac OS X v10.6 automatically generates a color profile based on the capabilities of your display which uses a gamma value of 2.2. If you are currently using a custom display profile, there is no need to change or update your custom profile; Mac OS X v10.6 will automatically use the gamma value contained in your custom display profile.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 28, 2010
    arodney wrote: »

Mine too.

I can see no difference between LR3, CS4 or CS5, or Safari manifestations of my image files tagged as sRGB.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    It makes almost zero difference if you calibrate a display to 1.8 as 2.2 or much else inside ICC aware applications which Safari has always been. So even prior to the 2.2 gamma assumption by Snow Leopard, this wasn’t an issue. Outside of ICC aware applications, it would be. That said, makes some sense at least with panels that do not operate in high bit to set the gamma as close to the native behavior they exhibit as possible to reduce banding.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    Weird...I'm on my PC at work now..and the pictures look fine.