Shooting Someone With Glasses

b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited November 28, 2010 in People
So after borrowing my nephews studio light kit, I wanted to test some lighting out. I shot my oldest daughter who wears glasses, but after shooting her, I noticed that there is a shadow around the frames. How do you get rid of the shadows around the frames? Is this something that you just have to play around with? I wanted to post some other shots as well.

1. Glasses Shot
1106397477_Q6t8p-XL.jpg

2. My youngest daughter hamming it up.
1106396184_RMFKw-XL.jpg
Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Not much you can do, especially with such a thick frame.
    The only possible cure is to make the key light as soft as possible (imagine shooting outdoors on a cloudy day), but that would require rather large modifier (4..6 ft).
    A gimmicky way out is to take a shot with glasses, tell her to hold the pose, carefully remove the glasses, take another shot and then blend two frames in PS. Depending on your PS skills may or may not work.
    Finally, a third way: when a life gives you a lemon - make a lemonade. Have here lowering her specs down her nose in a "sexy secretary" way and look over them.
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    I like your second option Nik. I wouldn't have thought of that until after everyone went home and I was processing the shots. :D

BTW, both are much improved from the shots you've posted.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Finally, a third way: when a life gives you a lemon - make a lemonade. Have here lowering her specs down her nose in a "sexy secretary" way and look over them.
    HTH

You mean like this? :D

984295321_yPKGu-L.jpg
    edited November 27, 2010
    I like your second option Nik. I wouldn't have thought of that until after everyone went home and I was processing the shots. :D
    I have been wearing specs since 2d grade, and took quite a few portraits of people wearing them :-)
    edited November 27, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    You mean like this? :D
    Yup! thumb.gifwinkrolleyes1.gif
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    I agree with Alex, these are super nice and showing such great improvement over your previous posts.
    Nik, the PS option is a good one that I've actually used before though it can be tricky for many reasons.

I wonder if a huge Octabox like the beast from Elinchrom would kill any shadows...as they say the bigger the light source the softer the light....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited November 27, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    I wonder if a huge Octabox like the beast from Elinchrom would kill any shadows...as they say the bigger the light source the softer the light....
    Like this one? ;-)

278936112_ncnMb-XL.jpg
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Yeah, that's a beast alright!
    But then I guess the nice contrast of shadow to light would be lost like those shown in the posted images
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Whoa... that's a big lightbox, alright....

OP, I think these are actually rather nice, shadows notwithstanding! Cute girls.

Would it work to try a completely different light setup ie the one that Alex has been playing with, ie butterfly or clamshell? As it stands, you have the lights coming from either side so they are casting a shadow on either earpiece; by switching the direction of the light, perhaps it might help on that score? One light high above the camera (either behind it or a bit to one side), and a reflector underneath the subject to bounce the light back up and fill in the shadows.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Nik... you're such a show off.

My Smug Site
  • b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Like this one? ;-)

278936112_ncnMb-XL.jpg

I guess I will have to break out my dual 500 watt hallogen construction work lamps next. That truely is a beast.
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
    edited November 27, 2010
    b08rsa wrote: »
    I guess I will have to break out my dual 500 watt hallogen construction work lamps next. That truely is a beast.

It's not really the wattage, it's the size of the modifier, which makes the light source larger. So your two construction lamps will basically be small light source, but high lumen output. They will still cast harsh shadows because the actual point of light is small. Now, bounce those off a large white wall, then your light source just got bigger.

My Smug Site
    edited November 28, 2010
    It's not really the wattage, it's the size of the modifier, which makes the light source larger. So your two construction lamps will basically be small light source, but high lumen output. They will still cast harsh shadows because the actual point of light is small. Now, bounce those off a large white wall, then your light source just got bigger.

The dual 500wt work light was my first studio lighting evar... mwink.gifroflAmazingly weak from any photographic standpoint... ne_nau.gif
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    People with glasses do well when you angle them with their glasses slightly. If you can't angle them, another trick is to angle the glasses slightly lifting the temples over their ears. The thing I tell people to do in my studio is to go next door and take the glass our at the optomitrist's office.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    The dual 500wt work light was my first studio lighting evar... mwink.gifroflAmazingly weak from any photographic standpoint... ne_nau.gif

I was just being sarcastic on the dual 500 watt lamps.
    headscratch.gif
    edited November 28, 2010
    b08rsa wrote: »
    I was just being sarcastic on the dual 500 watt lamps.
    headscratch.gif

Well, you really don't have to be.. As they say, it's not the light, it's how you use it...;-)

Here are a few from three years ago, all taken with the darn 500wt worklight (cause I didn't have anything else :cry):

1. Spanish Guitar:

151800092_z2qqh-XL.jpg

2. Moonlight Breeze:

151797813_YKvJ2-XL.jpg

3. Desire:

130623477_mxMUN-XL.jpg

"Know thy tools"! deal.gifthumb