A Little Flare

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited December 17, 2010 in People
Experimenting:

1106853919_36s8S-XL.jpg

1106853216_bPuHZ-XL.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    Very cool Alex.
    Is that the DYI beauty dish behind her?
    I really like the way number 2 turned out and I still can't get over how beautiful your model is :-)
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    Thanks Rey. Not the BD on these. That's an AB400 with the standard 7" reflector and a 40 degree grid.

My Smug Site
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    'tis good to know thy foe mwink.gif

Now the real question: can you get that flash firing and NOT get the flare? mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    'tis good to know thy foe mwink.gif

Now the real question: can you get that flash firing and NOT get the flare? mwink.gif

Would it be a function of stopping the lens down?

My Smug Site
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    Patiently awaiting the answer.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited November 28, 2010
    Hah... Did you try it? mwink.gif
    Marinate on this, and if you don't solve this on your own in a few days, I'll reveal the "secret". deal.gif
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2010

Changing the aperture would probably change the appearance of the flare in some way, but probably not get rid of it.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
    edited November 28, 2010
    I did not try it since i was trying to get flare in the shot.

Hmm. I have been thinking about this more. A flag may be the answer but not sure where to place it. I think if the lens is in shadow, there should be no flare. The trick would be to place the flag so it casts a shadow on the lens but is outside the frame. Will have to try this to see.

My Smug Site
    edited November 28, 2010
    craig_d wrote: »
    Changing the aperture would probably change the appearance of the flare in some way, but probably not get rid of it.

Well, depending on your lens, it would make it look more like star shape. Changing focal length may help if using a zoom lens with a hood but don't think that is the answer here.

My Smug Site
    edited November 28, 2010
    Hmm. I have been thinking about this more. A flag may be the answer but not sure where to place it. I think if the lens is in shadow, there should be no flare. The trick would be to place the flag so it casts a shadow on the lens but is outside the frame. Will have to try this to see.
    :lurk mwink.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    Nik, are you talking about leaving the light and camera position the same and some sort of flagging method, or are you talking about simply moving the flash up or out and feathering it more, and/or using a bit of a flag to allow some spill on her but not as much forward (still assuming you move the flash to CL and angle it more).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited December 3, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Nik, are you talking about leaving the light and camera position the same and some sort of flagging method, or are you talking about simply moving the flash up or out and feathering it more, and/or using a bit of a flag to allow some spill on her but not as much forward (still assuming you move the flash to CL and angle it more).

Well, apparently Alex left for his mongo trip, so no reason to hold up any longer...

There are multiple ways to achieve the suggested result.
    One of them:
    * The flash in the frame is severely powered down to the min and plays a "prop" role
    * The actual flash is just outside the frame and properly flagged to avoid the fliar/pollution, yet close enough to the prop one to preted the hair/rim light is coming from ther prop

If you don't have an extra flash you would have to do a composite work: camera on a stand, one shot with the "prop" flash at full blast, another one with it at min, next one with the flash outside the frame and the model in, etc.. Then bring it all into PS as different layers and start playing with masks, opacity, and so on.

HTH
  • FotobyMoMoFotobyMoMo Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    Hey I like it! I did something just like it the other day with my wife! It's a WL800 on the right side.

148544_461091563369_781018369_5696623_3040772_n.jpg
    www.fotobymomo.com | www.facebook.com/fotobymomo

Gear List: Canon 5D Mm2 | T1i (backup) | 16-35 2.8L | 27-200 2.8L Mk2 | 24-105 4L | Sigma 85mm 1.4 | Canon 580ex flash
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    The reason to stop your lens down...

2448928768_cdb783ac77_z.jpg

Or did I miss the purpose of stopping the lens down?? lol

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »

2448928768_cdb783ac77_z.jpg

This is a way cool shot.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited December 3, 2010
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    9-blade diaphragm? nice! thumb.gif
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    What the op shows is not really lens flare, is it? That's where you get internal reflections-refractions in the glass coming down the lens barrel, no? Which can look like drops/splashes/streaks of rainbow light. Here is plain ole overexposure, the perennial problem of a big imbalance of light intensity in the frame. Which can be made into stars if desired. It's a reversal of the "deer in the headlights" thing, where the light is blindingly in the lens'-viewers' eye. The washout can add drama when it's balanced by something equally or more interesting in the frame. Not sure if just a washed out face (even so beautiful a one as here) is up to that. What comes to my mind is: if strobe is being used on the face, adjusting its intensity up while closing aperture down and high speed synching shutter, so that the backlight has some shape and also (if the bg light is continuous and not controlled by you) less intensity, while the subject is correctly exposed.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix