Options

Wondering

damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
edited June 30, 2004 in Holy Macro
Lately I've been wondering what makes a good photograph. Now, we've all seen photographs we like as we've all seen films that we like, et cetera. What is troubling me is the process by which we get the image. Perhaps I'm going through a crisis, but, I wonder. Why is one image good? Why is another bad? If all images are representative of the real world (after all, what else could we possibly photograph?) then surely there must be an objective criterion...something that judges the images we capture...or are we, in a futile attempt to catch and possess the world, failing ourselves. I don't know. Maybe I'm tired. Here are a few from the past couple days...

5600497-L.jpg

5600509-L.jpg

5600487-L.jpg

5600485-L.jpg

5600486-L.jpg

5655304-L.jpg

5655310-L.jpg

5655306-L.jpg

5655308-L.jpg

5655305-L.jpg

5655309-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2004
    Well, it's a good question and one that people have tried to answer for a very long time, well before there was photography. What makes a good image? The acient Greeks had theories about the golden mean and there was a thread a while ago about the law of thirds or some such that was really the same thing. I don't really know tons about this topic, but it is very interwoven with art history and philosophy. If you can find it, you can read HCB's essay in the front of The Decisivie Moment and find out what he thought. But his theory is just that: his theory. I don't think it applys to the work of other great photographers; in fact the greats have a way of redefining the rules so that stuff you thought couldn't possibly work, suddenly works great.

Anyway, I know the philosophy was just a way to introduce the great set, which I enjoyed a lot.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2004
    It was Rutt...thanks again.

Anyway, I know the philosophy was just a way to introduce the great set, which I enjoyed a lot.[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2004
    Whatever it is that "makes a good photograph", I'm always amazed how the idea of what "It" is must differ from person to person.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2004
    Me too Gubbs. One person's "wow" is another person's "huh?" Funny.
    gubbs wrote:
    Whatever it is that "makes a good photograph", I'm always amazed how the idea of what "It" is must differ from person to person.