Would you share lenses?

richyrichy Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited December 1, 2010 in Cameras
x

Comments

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    With a pro, yes. Unless they're going dirt biking ;~). And amateurs, if I think they're photo-savvy enough. Pros know how to treat equipment (or at least most of them do ;~). With a friend, it depends. If I'm there, and they're careful with the stuff, then to a certain extent. I wouldn't lend a lens to any friend just because they are interested in it. But if a friend I don't totally trust really needs it, i.e. they just broke their only lens right before an important shoot tomorrow, I would, because I'd want the same favor for me if I needed it, but I'd make it very clear that they would pay for the slightest scratch. Just my 2 cents.
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    I share lenses with a couple of friends frequently. But I'm VERY picky on whom I'd share equipment with.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    One thing that was mentioned was that pros budget to replace their gear so are free'er at lending it whereas amateurs have to make it last longer therefore don't? I think theres huge generalisations there myself. I've seen plenty of amateurs with much more invested in gear who routinely spend more than I do. Sucks to have too much money lol

Yep, that's true. Doesn't make much sense tho when you can get new lenses/bodies instead ;~). I am not that gentle with my gear, I will bang it around now and then. But I'm careful to not scratch my lens that much, because even though I don't mind a totally scratched lens, I might want to sell it someday. My 1D2, well, you know... doesn't really do anything to it when you drop it on concretemwink.gif But I wouldn't treat my gear like it's no big deal if I have to replace it.
  • yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    Not for me
    After a very bad experience some years back lending to a friend, I no longer lend, or borrow, lenses or any camera gear.
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    A friend lent me some lenses and I liked their approach. They would lend lenses to someone who would volunteer to help you move.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    It really depends on the person. If I know them well and trust them, then sure. If it's a person that I think twice about even for a moment, I would go with my first instinct and not lend them any of my gear.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Expensive gear are things of consequence, costwise and in what we invest of ourselves in them as money-earners and as a personal source of pleasure and means of expression.

Unfortunate outcomes from lending them are totally unpredictable, and the downstream effects on us and our relationships can be costly and unpleasant. I once lent a couple L lenses to someone who had helped me greatly knowledge-wise to get started in digital photography. Nothing untoward happened there. However, when in his presence and with a lens of his on my camera I turned the focus ring past the end of the scale markings (it was a new AF lens with a simultaneous manual adjust option, so no damage could possibly have occurred, and I showed him several opinions of experts on the matter to that effect, including the responses to a post of mine on DGrin) he became irrational and accused me of ruining the focus motor, and he nagged me repeatedly until I bought him a replacement lens. Our relationship became very strained and unhappy. A pity, of course, and the result of "innocent friendly" gear lending. This same person once, later, perched his camera and lens on the edge of a billiard table, from where it fell to the floor, causing damage. Could have just as well happened when he had gear of mine.

I let family use my gear if I am teaching them, but not out of my supervision.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Yes, I only share the gear under my nose.

It is important to inspire the others to enjoy the hobby. Sharing the lens for just couple of shoots will make them more confident to acquire the gear and understand the benefit of the particular gear.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 1, 2010
    I'll lend lenses to folks I'm shooting with. I might also lend a lens to a good friend when I'm not around, although that situation hasn't come up before. I have a neighbor who keeps lenses lying around her home with no lens caps on them. Suffice to say, she won't be borrowing any of my lenses. :giggle