Overexposed skin-Bridge

GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
edited November 29, 2010 in Finishing School
Hi!

I would love to hear your best technique on how to fix overexposed skin. Now to the real issue :). I am not sure what is going on.. I edit in LR2, the exposure looks good, then I export to bridge and it looks totally overexposed.. then I open it in CS4 and it looks just as it did in LR2. I upload to smugmug, and it looks a bit brighter, but not as bright as it does in bridge.. What did I mess up in Bridge? Now, not all of the pictures look overexposed, just some..:scratch

Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!
GemGem

Sample pic here

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 28, 2010
    I am not sure I understand the trip through Bridge to get to Photoshop from Lightroom.

When I edit my files I also do my initial RAW file edits in Lighttoom.. If I need local edits or blends I will then Edit my file in Lightroom by right clicking on my image and I get asked if I would like to a copy of my image with Lightroom edits, and I say yes, and I am transferred directly to Photoshop with my image in it, without any temporary step in Bridge. I almost never use Bridge these days, UNLESS I plan to use multiple Smart Objects to create multiple renderings of a single RAW file to blend in Photoshop. That is a separate editing session away from Lightroom because I have decided I cannot get the effects I want via editing in Lightroom due to a clear need for Smart Objects.

My images I see in LR3, CS5, Smugmug or Safari all match on my monitor. All of these programs are color space aware. I work in OS 10.5.8

All of my files I upload to the web on Smugmug are coded as sRGB, by going to Edit>Convert to Profile>sRGB in Photoshop, or exporting via LR as sRGB images. If this is not the case, all bets are off on files matching in different locations.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    Thanks Pathfinder. I like using bridge to see my pictures big in the screen. Even when I hide the sides on LR, I can't still see is as big as I see it in bridge. I export as sRGB from LR. I will have to ask Santa for a good monitor calibrator. How did that picture look in your monitor?

Thanks Pathfinder! Have a great one
    GG
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    It sounds like Bridge is not seeing the XMP instructions you set in LR such that the over exposed skin no longer appears over exposed. After you set the rendering in LR, type Command (control) S OR set your preferences to auto save XMP. That should update the sidecar file or DNG, depending on what you use and now Bridge will “see” these metadata edits.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 29, 2010
    GemGem wrote: »
    I like using bridge to see my pictures big in the screen. Even when I hide the sides on LR, I can't still see is as big as I see it in bridge. I export as sRGB from LR. I will have to ask Santa for a good monitor calibrator. How did that picture look in your monitor?

Thanks Pathfinder! Have a great one
    GG

I was unable to see your image as it is password protected.

I am able view my images in LightRoom at 11 x image size if needed ( 1100%), and I never need to see them much larger than 3-5x for very precise editing. So I don't make that pass through Bridge I guess.

The best corrections for over exposed skin are to avoid that in the camera.

If it is shot in RAW, use the Recovery slider to try to regain some texture and color.

If the pixels are truly fried, cooked, gone as in 255,255,255 - then you are going to have to clone in some surrounding area with the clone tool, the patch tool, the healing brush, or the spot healing brush. Kind of depends on how large the area that is missing that needs repaired, and how important it is in the image.

Better to powder their forehead and adjust the lights before tripping the shutter usually.

But we've all been there, I assure you.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited November 29, 2010
    arodney wrote: »
    It sounds like Bridge is not seeing the XMP instructions you set in LR such that the over exposed skin no longer appears over exposed. After you set the rendering in LR, type Command (control) S OR set your preferences to auto save XMP. That should update the sidecar file or DNG, depending on what you use and now Bridge will “see” these metadata edits.

Andrew! Thank you, I will try that.
    edited November 29, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    I was unable to see your image as it is password protected.

I am able view my images in LightRoom at 11 x image size if needed ( 1100%), and I never need to see them much larger than 3-5x for very precise editing. So I don't make that pass through Bridge I guess.

The best corrections for over exposed skin are to avoid that in the camera.

If it is shot in RAW, use the Recovery slider to try to regain some texture and color.

If the pixels are truly fried, cooked, gone as in 255,255,255 - then you are going to have to clone in some surrounding area with the clone tool, the patch tool, the healing brush, or the spot healing brush. Kind of depends on how large the area that is missing that needs repaired, and how important it is in the image.

Better to powder their forehead and adjust the lights before tripping the shutter usually.

But we've all been there, I assure you.

Thank you Pathfinder! Yea, my customer asked me to pwd protect her gallery this AM after I posted :(
    I so look forward to the day where I would be 100% satisfied with my exposure results, specially when I keep comparing with the awesome photographers at Dgrin.

GG