My First Senior Session

Marissa K. PhotographyMarissa K. Photography Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited December 3, 2010 in People
I had the privilege of photographing one of my beautiful friends. She is graduating early, but will be walking with her class in May. This was my first senior shoot, & I had such a great time! On the first day, the location was in an empty field near our homes. We love random places like this! The second day, we shot at an old church down the street from where we live. Here are some of my (& her) favorite shots from the day! I would love some C & C. Thanks!

BritBW1-1.jpg

BritFlowers1-1.jpg

BritWindow2.jpg

BritLying2-1.jpg

BritSuitcase2.jpg

Comments

• briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    Beautiful model! #5 is my favorite. Great pose and creative use of props.You may want to consider doing a little touch up on the brown edges of the flower stem leaves. If you cropped just a small amount off the bottom it would call less attention to the cast shadow on the leg and eliminate that dark spot. #1, the daylight shadows are a bit harsh for my taste, but still a nice shot. One thing I noticed overall is the model's identical smile in every picture. Try for variation of mood to reveal more of the subjects personality. Maybe you already have some like that from your session. thumb.gif
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • Marissa K. PhotographyMarissa K. Photography Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Beautiful model! #5 is my favorite. Great pose and creative use of props.You may want to consider doing a little touch up on the brown edges of the flower stem leaves. If you cropped just a small amount off the bottom it would call less attention to the cast shadow on the leg and eliminate that dark spot. #1, the daylight shadows are a bit harsh for my taste, but still a nice shot. One thing I noticed overall is the model's identical smile in every picture. Try for variation of mood to reveal more of the subjects personality. Maybe you already have some like that from your session. thumb.gif

Thanks so much for the feedback. I definitely agree that the shadow is a bit distracting in the bottom corner of #5. I could crop it, like you said. And, yea, in these pictures she has the same smile. Lol. However, I did get a lot of non-smiling ones too!
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    #2 is not showing up.

#3 is teh standout for me. great color, focus, etc except the very top of her head is cut off. Either cut it off more to look it is on purpose or get it all in the frame.

#4 the lying down pose is not working for me

#5 I like the light here..but I would go wider or tighter. The left arm is just gone and make the awkward pose even more awkward.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Pretty young lady and some nice portraits...
    Is it just me or are all these soft on her eyes and sharp on her hair?
    #5 is my fave but the composition is off in my opinion....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    These are quite nice, but as you know, there are issues. Check out the difference in white balance between #3 and #4. Easy to fix. I'm assuming you did not have an assistant. It's also apparent that you didn't have any kind of scrim to hold between your very pretty model and the harsh sun, hence the hard shadows. Get a big scrim, diffuser, whatever you want to call it and either a friend to hold it, or a lightstand and arm. Your images will look so much better.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    These are quite nice, but as you know, there are issues. Check out the difference in white balance between #3 and #4. Easy to fix. I'm assuming you did not have an assistant. It's also apparent that you didn't have any kind of scrim to hold between your very pretty model and the harsh sun, hence the hard shadows. Get a big scrim, diffuser, whatever you want to call it and either a friend to hold it, or a lightstand and arm. Your images will look so much better.
    I agree with John on these. The lighting is pretty harsh as he stated. The white balance is one of the first things that I noticed. It really changes dramatically as you go from 3 to 4 to 5. How are you setting the WB? Are you shooting RAW or JPEG?
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    The photos lack some punch. Digital photos tend to be flat and need to have the black point raised. Try to go back to the raw files and see if like them better if you raise the black point up 10 pts. IF jpeg go to levels in photoshop and bring the left slider up to your liking and then try the middle slider to the right slightly.