Cyber Monday Deals ???

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited December 8, 2010 in Cameras
I am expecting a new camera for Christmas so I thought I'd check out the price comparison sites today, Cyber Monday. Looks like there could be significant savings at some retailers--enough to go towards some nice new glass! I normally buy my gear through B&H, whose prices today are higher than some other online retailers I have never heard of (for the same item).

Have any of you bought through price comparison sites (e.g., NexTag, Pricegrabber--not recommending any of them, they are just listed in my paper)? Would you spend more to buy from a known camera retailer?

Just wondering.......

Thanks,
Lauren
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    Thanks, Richy. I appreciate your feedback.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    Agree with Richy
    if you are tempted by a lower price at a lesser known store, at least go to www.resellerratings.com first to see how they score. But the reality is that if a price is way lower than anybody else, run in the other direction as fast as you can!
    Regards,
    AZFred
    edited November 29, 2010
    Yes, it does make me wonder why a quality camera could sell for such dramatically different prices. Thanks for the resellerratings site, I wasn't familiar with it.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Here's my post dedicated to exposing all the scam groups on the internet. If you're just googling the camera you want and clicking the best price, READ THIS:

http://bit.ly/cameratalk-scamalert

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    redleash wrote: »
    Yes, it does make me wonder why a quality camera could sell for such dramatically different prices. Thanks for the resellerratings site, I wasn't familiar with it.

The other place to check in with if you are at all uneasy about a retailer, is my personal super-hero: http://thoughts-of-dave.blogspot.com

BTW we'll always do our best to price match (both unit cost AND shipping) to any other reputable retailer. If we can't...........rolleyes1.gif
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
    edited November 30, 2010
    Thank you, Helen. Another good source of info.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • HowzitHowzit Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    HelenOster wrote: »
    BTW we'll always do our best to price match (both unit cost AND shipping) to any other reputable retailer. If we can't...........rolleyes1.gif

Hi there Helen. I see Adorama has a good kit deal with the Canon 7D + EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens. Any chance of offering the Canon 60D with the 15-85 lens anytime soon?

Thanks,
    Neal
    edited December 1, 2010
    Howzit wrote: »
    Hi there Helen. I see Adorama has a good kit deal with the Canon 7D + EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens. Any chance of offering the Canon 60D with the 15-85 lens anytime soon?

Thanks,
    Neal

Love to be able to say yes - but these decisions are made by the purchasing department and relate to what is available a good price at any given time. Sorry....ne_nau.gif
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • TopCatTopCat Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Read Matt's post--it's good, straight information. Bottom line is, although others may be straight shooters, you can depend on the "big three" for honest business practices.

I can report a satisfactory transaction with Abe's of Maine and one with Beach Camera, but all my other dealings have been with B&H, Adorama, or Amazon. I have also had good experience with Adorama trading in used lens on the purchase of a new lens.
    Tom
    Nikon D300 with 16-85 f3.5-5.6 VR, 35 f/1.8, 70-300 VR; Nikon D800 with 24-70 f/2.8, 105 f/2.8 VR Micro, 70-200 f/2.8 VRII, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Dell XPS 17 (8 GB RAM), LR5.3, Photoshop CC
    My Portfolio
    My PhotoBlog
    edited December 1, 2010
    Thanks Tom. My experience with B&H has been good.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Wanted to jump in again
    and thank Helen from Adorama for participating. I usually buy from B&H and/or Adorama because I believe both are reputable dealers. Don't be fooled by the 'lower than anyone else' prices you might encounter out there. Use common sense and buy from a known good source.
    Regards,
    AZFred
    edited December 1, 2010
    TopCat wrote: »
    ... you can depend on the "big three" for honest business practices.

...all my other dealings have been with B&H, Adorama, or Amazon. ...

Newegg has recently had some amazing deals on the 7D and 60D that I wish Adorama or B&H would offer.

...anyone here dealt with Newegg?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 1, 2010
    Newegg has recently had some amazing deals on the 7D and 60D that I wish Andorama or B&H would offer.

Newegg does have good prices and they are a reputable firm. Their service after the sale is not up to B&H and/or Adorama or Tallyn's standards. Plus Newegg is not a camera sales company. They treat camera items the same as anything else they carry and are not going to be very competent to answer questions you might have relating to cameras and accessories.

I do buy things from Newegg, but I have never bought cameras from them and I don't recommend it either. I really do believe in the camera sales companies like B&H, Adorama or Tallyn's.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Newegg's fine but they're a computer part company. I know someone who had a good experience with Abes of Maine.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Newegg has recently had some amazing deals on the 7D and 60D that I wish Andorama or B&H would offer.

When it comes to Newegg, I try and s tick to hard drives and memory cards etc. They're one of the online stores I just kinda browse in my spare time as a "kelly blue book" when I wanna know a price on something, just because I like information.

I'm sure the cameras they sell are fine, but unless you can be absolutely sure they're USA, I'd stick with the big names...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited December 2, 2010
    yendikeno wrote: »
    and thank Helen from Adorama for participating.

My pleasure! iloveyou.gif
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
    edited December 8, 2010
    Love to be able to say yes - but these decisions are made by the purchasing department and relate to what is available a good price at any given time. Sorry....ne_nau.gif

Okay, no 60D + 15-85 deals yet so I thought I'd check out the 60D + 17-55 f2.8. Adorama has the 60D for $999 and the 17-55 f2.8 for $990 for a total of $1989.00 so I decide to check out the kit. $2039 !!! ($50 more?) ne_nau.gif

Am I reading this right? (what am I missing?)

...I see the same for the 60D ($999) + 70-200 f4 ($1130) for $2129 vs $2189 for the kit. ($60 more for the kit).
    edited December 8, 2010
    Okay, no 60D + 15-85 deals yet so I thought I'd check out the 60D + 17-55 f2.8. Adorama has the 60D for $999 and the 17-55 f2.8 for $990 for a total of $1989.00 so I decide to check out the kit. $2039 !!! ($50 more?) ne_nau.gif

Am I reading this right? (what am I missing?)

...I see the same for the 60D ($999) + 70-200 f4 ($1130) for $2129 vs $2189 for the kit. ($60 more for the kit).

MAP regulations..... try putting it into the cart and see what happens wings.gif
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
    edited December 8, 2010
    MAP regulations..... try putting it into the cart and see what happens wings.gif

Ah, that is what I was missing. 11doh.gif

...thanks Helen. thumb.gif (good to know as others may be missing these deals too)
    edited December 8, 2010
    Ah, that is what I was missing. 11doh.gif

...thanks Helen. thumb.gif (good to know as others may be missing these deals too)

That's why I'm here, looking out for you all iloveyou.gif
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com