Metadata

OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
edited September 14, 2005 in Finishing School
OK, I have the trial version of Photoshop CS2 now (first time with any Photoshop software) and I have decided to spend loads and loads of my time entering keyword data using the Bridge software. I did about 3000 photos this weekend! I'm thinking it worked...hopefully it transfers into smugmug accuratley. I know that I've avoided using "two word" keywords or anything that starts with a number....like a year! (Don't know how to solve that little problem yet).

Anyway...

Now I'm going to rank my pictures...which I found useful when I was using Microsoft Picture It! Library.

But, unlike with Library, I want my ranking information to stick with my photo files (ie. embedded into the files Metadata - like the keywords - rather than just stored in the cache). If I don't, I'm pretty much wasting my time, right? Cause when I backup my files I'll lose the rank info...which would be bad.

Anyway, has anyone come accross this problem and have any advice of where I should go from here?

Thanks!
Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]

Comments

• mdgodfmdgodf Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited September 14, 2005
    Oakley wrote:
    But, unlike with Library, I want my ranking information to stick with my photo files (ie. embedded into the files Metadata - like the keywords - rather than just stored in the cache). If I don't, I'm pretty much wasting my time, right? Cause when I backup my files I'll lose the rank info...which would be bad.
    Hi Ryan,
    Give EXIFUtils a look - it's a command prompt utility that can edit, update and replace metadata in image files - I can't vouch for it as I only just found it. I need to change the dates in a bunch of files as I had the camera's date set incorrectly and this seems as though it wiil do that and what you are after too.

http://www.hugsan.com/EXIFutils/

Cheers