The Sad Demise Of An Old Friend

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited December 1, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Nothing last forever. You know that as a truth but, when some things go, it still comes as a shock.

I never knew his real name. Many years ago, I took to calling him " Sticks ".....the name drawn from the long poles the Old Man has used to shore him up when he started getting a little weak in the knees. He was a proud old fellow. Long were the days and nights he had served the Old Man well....braving wind, rain, snow,and, on one memorable occasion, a berserk cow.

I had passed Sticks more times than I can remember over the years....going to and from my own place right down the road. I hadn't been around much as of late as I'm developing a new homestead in a new location. It was with more than a little sorrow that I discovered, when cruising the old neighborhood, that Sticks had finally cashed in his chips.

The Old Man told me it made one hell of a noise. He looked over from his porch and saw the entire back roof had just collapsed. Sticks is a goner now....never to see service again. The Old Man was trying to hide his real feelings but I could clearly see how upset he was at Stick's passing. Kind of got to me too.

1109236348_Jx9KX-XL.jpg

1109236858_GtU6C-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    Howdy Tom,

It is sad to see old landmarks and things that we hold dear and familiar
    either wither away or as "old Stick" simply succumb to the elements and
    Father Time.

Really like all the details and true colors and hues.

Old Stick won't be forgotten, you'll always remember, and now
    so will we.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Yo Craig,

It's sort of funny how inanimate objects, bred out of familiarity, tend to take on a personality. I thought of Sticks as a friend....always there, always saying " hi " as I went by. Darlene used to say I was crazy but she just never understood " barn " talk between two old partners.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 30, 2010
    RIP, sticks. :cry

Nice pics, Tom. I love old barns. thumb.gif
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    I've never put a name to a building that I've passed by many times ... seems only proper to do so tho.

There's one building I've photographed and stopped at many times to take a breather or just gather my thoughts. It's now been removed either after falling down or a farmer bulldozing it down. Sad now to go by an empty spot that once was alive and serving a purpose for so many years.

I agree with Craig -- we will remember Sticks now that's you've shared him with us. Every time I pass an old building I'll think of Sticks and give the old building a name :D

Goodbye Sticks ----
    edited November 30, 2010
    Hey Joel,

Me and you, brother. Old barns fascinate me. I can't help but wonder about the stories they could tell.

Take care,

Tom
    edited November 30, 2010
    Hi Mary,

There's another old barn up in the mountains that I've given a name to. It has to be a girl barn so I've named her Matty Lou. I know she's a girl beacuse she's stuffed to the gills with little chicks....or at least that's what I call them. In reality, her chicks are big rolls of wheat, all bundled up to feed the cattle. For some reason, the farmers never get around to using these particular rolls....they stay there, year after year. I know Matty Lou would like to send these chicks on their way ( gotta be tired of them ) but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Happy hoildays,

Tom
    edited November 30, 2010
    Hi Mary,

There's another old barn up in the mountains that I've given a name to. It has to be a girl barn so I've named her Matty Lou. I know she's a girl beacuse she's stuffed to the gills with little chicks....or at least that's what I call them. In reality, her chicks are big rolls of wheat, all bundled up to feed the cattle. For some reason, the farmers never get around to using these particular rolls....they stay there, year after year. I know Matty Lou would like to send these chicks on their way ( gotta be tired of them ) but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Happy hoildays,

Tom

You named a barn a girls name too :D

Never heard of bales called 'chicks' before, but heard them called other unmentionable things eek7.gif

Sometimes we think farmers don't move certain bales, but the do. They'll move some out to feed and others replace them. Kinda sneaky -- those farmers are :D

Happy Holidays to you too --

Any photos to share of Matty Lou?
    edited November 30, 2010
    Well, Mary, ask and you shall receive. I'm pleased to present to you, in all her radiant glory, the magnificent mountain maiden......Miss Matty Lou.

When I look through the window on the left, I can see nothing but bales....from front to back and clear to the ceiling. Those bales at the front are pretty new. Some at the back look like they've been there a long, long time.

Isn't Matty Lou a pretty sight? Good thing ole Sticks never wandered over her way. :D

Tom

1110220333_tiN8A-XL.jpg
    edited November 30, 2010
    Wonderful -- Thanks for posting a photo of Matty Lou thumb.gif

She certainly is a beauty ... Ol' Sticks would of surely found her if he could of mwink.gif She's sportin' some new siding.

Sometimes I wonder if farmers leave old bales exposed for deer and such during the winter.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    HI TOM....Sorry to hear about Sticks......Long live Matty Lou, and that is a real nice shot of herthumb.gif
    edited December 1, 2010
    Hey Gary,

I'll pass along your well wishes and kind remarks to Matty Lou. I'm sure she'll be pleased.

Take care,

Tom