Tribute in Light - a first look

Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
edited September 19, 2005 in Landscapes
I am building a panorama, but don't have time to finish it right now. So I thought I would at least upload a partial to give an idea of how it looks in it's new location farther south than in the previous years.

til2005firstdraft.jpg

For the most part, this is an f/8, 30 second, ISO 100 image for those wondering.
Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

Comments

• erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2005
    Shay,

I can already tell this is going to be spectacular. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Erich
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    15524779-Ti.gif Definetely!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    Amazing great color very sharp
    Can't wait to see the entire pano

Thanks
    Fred
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    wow....very very nice Shay thumb.gif

Can't wait to see the full pano.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    two words
    su weeeeeeeeeeeeet
  • aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    Wonderful colors and wonderful tribute Shay.

Michal
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    Great shot!! Can't wait to see the finished product!!

Also, thank you for the shot data. I started shooting my night shots at f8.0 for 30 secs and wasn't sure if I was over doing it. Any chance you're shooting with a Sony 828?

-Adam

www.adamstravelphotography.com
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    Not this time, but it could have been. The focal length, shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and white balance I used are all within the capabilities of the 828.
    grimace wrote:
    Any chance you're shooting with a Sony 828?
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Great!
    And good to hear from you too:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2005
    i can not take a single shot that clear and sharp much less put them together thumb.gif your good clap.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    Some things I have found helpful in getting a clear looking photo is good exposure, contrast, and color saturation. Having those settings off will deteriorate the clear look that is there.

And much of that can all be post processing work.
    jwear wrote:
    i can not take a single shot that clear and sharp much less put them together thumb.gif your good clap.gif
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    Very nice Shay, very impressive.....

Ed
  • iceman17iceman17 Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    That realy looks beautiful just as it is,I can only imagine how it will look when your done thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif ....Mike
    I took a picture once
    but they made me give it back.
  • rsi1986rsi1986 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    I would be proud to hang what you have right now on the wall. Great work, I feel like I'm standing there.clap.gif
    Stimulating the economy one lens at a time. :super
    Robert A. www.imaginglifestyle.com

• erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2005
    So...did you get it finished?ne_nau.gif
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    That is a very eye drawing shot shay. Sadly when i was there the smog was thicker than ticks on a dog. You had a very clear night.
  • MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    Spectacular shot Shay, wonderfull.

AJ
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 19, 2005
    Very nice Shay!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2005
    Some things I have found helpful in getting a clear looking photo is good exposure, contrast, and color saturation. Having those settings off will deteriorate the clear look that is there.

And much of that can all be post processing work.

Great photo, Shay. After seeing your self portrait (s), I expect no less than great all the time now! :D Not that I didn't before.

I just have to respond to this re exposure, contrast, etc.

I just happened to run into a clear morning at the wildlife preserve on Sat. Only other person, besides bird expert, was a photographer. He kept telling me I was under exposing. We looked at my histograms, I was the recipient of a major lecture on underexposing and why I shouldn't.

So, I tried, I really did, to put some of my histogram material at a point where I KNEW it would blow a Snowy (bird) in a heartbeat. These things would show up in the air, etc, I blew them. I also blew a couple of egrets that came and went too fast for adjustments. On a histogram the Snowys don't even show up, mine don't, the majority of the histogram is at the dark end. A very bad thing, according to the photographer.

So, being confused already, I raised my E/C to zip, no E/C. I had to do that to get the histograms closer to the middle. Thank gosh for the Tricolors and other darker birds.

They were clearer than ever before, sharp, too. I knew they would be by looking at them. I was hoping the white birds would be OK, and some were, but many were not. These things don't stick around, hold poses, repeat feeding moves for my camera.

And it was a very clear sharp morning, hot, very hot, but clearer than it has been.

But I am still very confused. I am wondering, too, Shay re your histogram, on a shot like that, there is a lot of dark..............

I was taught in the seventies that if there is dark background and a lighter foreground, the subject, to underexpose if at a distance. For instance trees will/or would then, fool the meter in the camera and to take that into consideration. I did then, I have since, now I am confused. 18% grey, I know that, I can see it w/o a card, can't show it to the camera, but I know it, so that would not need to be explained to me.

ginger (Repeating that is a really wonderful photo, will be a wonderful panorama: what did you say had changed/moved?)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.