Senior Shoot

bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
edited December 2, 2010 in People
A friend of my nephew's, graduating this year. Good kid, great baseball player, and very patient. C&C appreciated...

-1-
1098685143_qEERf-L.jpg

-2-
1090667257_65tiE-L.jpg

-3-
1090657799_Xwm38-L.jpg

-4-
1103032761_S8LQC-L.jpg

-5-
1090663232_yMLvL-L.jpg

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    I'm sure that he is thrilled!!! #5 is my favorite of the group, simply stunning..
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    +1 on #5 clap.gif

I like the scoreboard shot too, and your client will never notice, but hey, this is DGrin right? We're pixel peepers. There are some weird shadows from your fill flash or reflector. I only point them out as a technical nit. It's a good image IMO.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    I think you did a good job with these. Nice "guy" poses.
    He should be very happy. Nice work.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    #5 is great.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • ows4428ows4428 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Coming from a baseball fan, 3-5 are awesome.
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Thanks everyone!

Yes, #5 is my favorite as well. Simple set-up, actually. We went into the dugout, which was covered and in full shade. I brought my flash/umbrella over, set it camera left and adjusted it a bit lower so the light would just sneak under the brim of his cap and had him turn such a way that the light fell on his eyes and glove.

I think my flash was set to 1/8 power and was about three feet away from him, at the most. After a little PP to bump the colors and deepen the blacks and a final layer of subtle sharpening filter, it was complete.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    I was hoping some of the better shooters might chime in, but I know I always wonder when I get a bunch of "love #2" posts and nothing about #1. You wonder if #1 is horrible, or is #2 just that much better...Some non-professional observations:

1. Light seems a bit flat. Also his fingers are cut off at the bottom. In this shot, he seems to have his one side squinting a bit and makes his eyes look very different in size. There are differences in most folks, but it seems much more in this picture than in any of the others.
    2. His hand looks like it wants to be holding a can of Coke or something. Sort of an odd look to it because of that. Light seems a bit hard, and isn't flattering around his neck.
    3. The image is tilted a bit (check the fence and/or scoreboard). Looks like you hit this with a bunch of light from CR to deal with the shadow-side being too dark? The light seems hard (very pronounced nose shadow). Correct me if I'm wrong in how this was lit, please. Overall, though, a cool image.
    4. Well done! Minor nit is I wish there wasn't a shadow line though his eye, but since it is OOF it matters less, IMO.
    5. As before, really love this.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Another set of not-really-a-pro responses
    bobcool wrote: »
    A friend of my nephew's, graduating this year. Good kid, great baseball player, and very patient. C&C appreciated...

-1-
    1098685143_qEERf-S.jpg

I really like this one. Agree with Andrew the light is a tad flat, but it doesn't bother me at all. Nice "typical" guy senior portrait. His face might be a tiny bit bright (but this monitor tends to display a little light and low contrast, so that may just be at my end)

-2-
    1090667257_65tiE-S.jpg

This one doesn't work for me - the light's just tooooo bright, especially on that bit of brick wall in front of his left hand (which is also really bright and in a slightly odd position). His expression is nice, though, and it works quite well if you turn it into a landscape head and shoulders shot (about 6 rows of bricks from the top). The light is more even that way, to me.

-3-
    1090657799_Xwm38-S.jpg

The light on his face is harsh, but it's such a great shot otherwise I'm not sure whether that's a dealbreaker or not. Overall it's REALLY bright on this monitor - can you knock it back a little? As mentioned, the slight tilt to the left is distracting - just a couple of degrees will ssquare it up.

-4-
    1103032761_S8LQC-S.jpg

Nice!
    -5-
    1090663232_yMLvL-S.jpg

Definitely the standout shot of the set- absolutely cracking light, the pose works a treat and the dark colours are all complementary and very pleasing. Great job!!

I'm sure he's very pleased with these!
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Thanks so much for the C&C everyone - great input on every photo! Some comments:

1. Flash was on hotshoe, and I was about 14 feet away so I could get as close to 200mm on my 70-200 2.8 VR as I could. I knew about the clipped hand, but as you can tell it's an 8x10 crop and his mom wanted his class ring in the shot, so I had to break that rule for this one.

2. He was not super-comfortable while posing, but his mom liked his smile on this one the best. I agree on the way his hand looks like he's holding an invisible sandwich - I will try for a closer crop and crop midway up the forearms and see how it looks. Great suggestion...

3. I had my flash on a light stand shooting into my umbrella trying to not really overpower the sun, but to match the intensity of the setting sun shining from camera left. Also, if you look at the brim of his cap, you'll see that it is level, and that's what I based my horizon upon. I will rotate it slightly and send a new copy to his mom just in case she likes that one better. Also, the shadow on his face is not from the flash - it's from the direct sunlight, so that's why it's harsh. However, I should have seen this and moved the flash more in front of his face so the fill flash could maybe make that shadow a little less harsh. Good feedback on this one...

4. I like this pose too - he really liked this pose when he saw my nephew's photos (same pose) so he specifically asked if he could do it. Fun pose, shows the ring, shows his passion to the viewer (like it's saying - here's what I'm all about - the baseball is the only thing in focus - baseball is my only focus, etc.)

5. I think we took about seven or eight slightly different angles before I was happy with this final image. I agree that it's a cool image, and one that his mom will frame for sure.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Ok....
    First off you did a good job on these I must say and I echo much of what Diva & Andrew pointed out so I've not much more critique other than some helpful pointers for the next shoot.

On #3 you could have definitely applied the sunny 16 rule to tame those shadows but that would definitely effect the background blur though not necessarily a bad thing.

On #4 I think shooting at f/16 would have given more depth to the focus and given a better feel in my opinion.

#5 is my fave of the bunch btw...bravo!
    Yo soy Reynaldo