Women's Volleyball Imges

Ben CBen C Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
edited September 15, 2005 in Sports
I shot a women’s volleyball game last night. Here are a few images. Comments and suggestions are always welcome. Ben

49137867.jpg

49137868.jpg

49137869.jpg

49137870.jpg

49137871.jpg

49137872.jpg
Freelance Sports Photographer
http://sportspixel.com

Comments

• luckydogluckydog Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2005
    Damn fine job thumb.gif

DOF, sharpness and timing are spot on. Sports are tough enough to shoot but indoor sport is another level. Each shot has emotion and concentration built in and tells a small story about that instant in the game.

Only downer is the red and white vertical line cutiing through the girl's left arm in the last shot, but that's a minor thing.
    http://darrylluckphotography.smugmug.com

40D
    18-55mm, 28-105mm USM II, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    Great job Ben. They are all winners!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    Do you shoot with strobes?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Ben CBen C Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    luckydog wrote:
    Damn fine job thumb.gif

DOF, sharpness and timing are spot on. Sports are tough enough to shoot but indoor sport is another level. Each shot has emotion and concentration built in and tells a small story about that instant in the game.

Only downer is the red and white vertical line cutiing through the girl's left arm in the last shot, but that's a minor thing.

Luckydog, the red and white line is the antenna attached to each side of the net to show the out of bond line. Ben
    Hi, Mark and Ian, thanks for the compliments. Now these are shot with ambient light. Ben
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 13, 2005
    Ben C wrote:
    Hi, Mark and Ian, thanks for the compliments. Now these are shot with ambient light. Ben

Very nice ambient light.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    Great shots. I'm about to shoot my daughter's volleyball team this afternoon with a new camera.eek7.gif I'm not too optomistic. Your shots are inspirational with just ambient lighting.

Can you tell me what lens you used and at what aperture? What iso settings were these taken at?

Thanks
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Same question:-)
    Mitchell wrote:
    Great shots. I'm about to shoot my daughter's volleyball team this afternoon with a new camera.eek7.gif I'm not too optomistic. Your shots are inspirational with just ambient lighting.

Can you tell me what lens you used and at what aperture? What iso settings were these taken at?

Thanks
    .. for the same reason. My daughter is also playing, and the games start soon..
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    Mitchell wrote:

Thanks

Michell, the data on these were ISO 1600, f/2.8 at 1/500. The lenses used were Canon 400mm f/2.8 IS and 300mm f/2.8 IS. Have fun at your daughter's game. Ben
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    Ben C wrote:
    Michell, the data on these were ISO 1600, f/2.8 at 1/500. The lenses used were Canon 400mm f/2.8 IS and 300mm f/2.8 IS. Have fun at your daughter's game. Ben
    These are really great. Looks like a nicely lit gym. Do you custom white balance as well? I shot a bit of volleyball last year with the 85mmf1.8 at ISO 1600. Not enough to get good at getting the money shots though!

Thanks for sharing your work and technique.

ann
    Ann McRae wrote:
    These are really great. Looks like a nicely lit gym. Do you custom white balance as well? I shot a bit of volleyball last year with the 85mmf1.8 at ISO 1600. Not enough to get good at getting the money shots though!

Thanks for sharing your work and technique.

ann

Hi, Ann, This particular gym is the best lit gym around-a full stop over all others. I use ExpoDisc to WB. It worked pretty well. Ben
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    Ben C wrote:
    Ooohhhhhhh......Aaahhhhhhh.....Nice glass!

Did you have to use any noise reducing software? I know the Canons are good at low noise but these look exceptionally good.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    Excellent shots all Ben thumb.gifthumb.gif Nice action, lots of faces and sharp clap.gif

Not taking anything away from your skills or abilities, but I'm with Ian on the lighting. This looks to be "College" level lighting iloveyou.gif One to two stops better than most high school gyms eek7.gif Or, did ya shoot RAW and push during conversion? They look really nice from an image noise point of view :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2005
    Ben C wrote:
    Sweet shots....and sweet glass ....................Mereimage
    edited September 15, 2005
    Excellent shots all Ben thumb.gifthumb.gif Nice action, lots of faces and sharp clap.gif

Not taking anything away from your skills or abilities, but I'm with Ian on the lighting. This looks to be "College" level lighting iloveyou.gif One to two stops better than most high school gyms eek7.gif Or, did ya shoot RAW and push during conversion? They look really nice from an image noise point of view :D

Steve

Steve, these are taken at a local private University where they do have exceptional lights. No noise reduction was necessary for this venue. Cheers, Ben
  • marymary Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2005
    My daughter is playing high school VB as well.... games already started..... frustrating photography in dark gyms has begun...

I'm noticing that in the newer high schools, the lighting is much better, so when she plays certain teams, I'll have photos to share. Our home gym just got a new floor and a bit of a make-over and it too is better lit. I have a Canon Digital Rebel and I really hope I can get a lot of great pictures. Keep your VB photography ideas flowing!!! (My biggest fear is getting hit by the ball while shooting pics)

btw... number 11 sure can jump! clap.gif