Options

Customer controlled B/W images?

ChrisqChrisq Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited November 7, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hey folks, not sure where this question should start out, so I am shooting for here. My question is this... I am coming over from another hosting company which gave the customers the option to turn any photo to a b/w image (such as it is)-- I don't have many clients who would be interested in this, but one did ask if it were an option, and since I am new here I don't know the answer? I am perfectly capable of converting any photos they request to b/w, and I know as owners we can do this thru our own TOOLS bar...but what about the customer controlling them? Thanks for the help....
Chris Q:scratch

Comments

• Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Chrisq wrote: »
    Hey folks, not sure where this question should start out, so I am shooting for here. My question is this... I am coming over from another hosting company which gave the customers the option to turn any photo to a b/w image (such as it is)-- I don't have many clients who would be interested in this, but one did ask if it were an option, and since I am new here I don't know the answer? I am perfectly capable of converting any photos they request to b/w, and I know as owners we can do this thru our own TOOLS bar...but what about the customer controlling them? Thanks for the help....
    Chris Qheadscratch.gif

We can?
  • Options
    ChrisqChrisq Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 1, 2010
    sara505 wrote: »
    We can?

Yes, as a PRO I can... not sure about any other level being new here and all....but if I go to TOOLS>this photo>more>apply color effect you can change the look/color of the photo...cannot UNDO...

I just have a customer who would like to do this to several photos and not have to bother me with each one...

Chris Q
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    Hi, we don't have this integrated in such a way that you can do it selectively per-order. You could add this as a feature request, thanks! http://feedback.smugmug.com thumb.gif
  • Options
    scotthofferphotographyscotthofferphotography Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    Can we set this up for the customers to be able to select this and make it automatically a copy?
    check out some of my pics on my smug mug site.
    http://www.scotthofferphotography.com
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2011
    Can we set this up for the customers to be able to select this and make it automatically a copy?

I'm sorry, this is not a feature, I wish we had a better answer for you right now!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011

I have been casting my vote for such a feature for a few years now, I'm hoping it comes soon. I understand it would be a pretty huge undertaking, since the shopping card has been revamped sooo many times over the years, but I'm sure it could be done if enough people beg for it. Definitely take Andy up on his suggestion, and put in a feature request!

:-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    woodsphotowoodsphoto Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    The problem with such a feature is that it would make the conversion by simply desaturating the image. This rarely makes a good B&W conversion. You really need to tweak tone and contrast to make good black and whites, (in my experience). My fav black and whites are usually converted with Silver Effex Pro, you just can't get that with a simple button.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2011
    woodsphoto wrote: »
    The problem with such a feature is that it would make the conversion by simply desaturating the image. This rarely makes a good B&W conversion. You really need to tweak tone and contrast to make good black and whites, (in my experience). My fav black and whites are usually converted with Silver Effex Pro, you just can't get that with a simple button.

This is what I struggle with. I can't imagine guys like Matt wanting us to do BW for them... by machine... one size fits all?

Still, we're looking at it!
  • Options
    scotthofferphotographyscotthofferphotography Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    Yes, but they would still be able to have the option to allow customers that didnt care as much as the photographer does about finished quality. Lots of people ask how come they can't switch it to me, but I can. I wish I had a better answer other than cause the program allows me and not you.
    check out some of my pics on my smug mug site.
    http://www.scotthofferphotography.com
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    Yes, but they would still be able to have the option to allow customers that didnt care as much as the photographer does about finished quality.

Do you mean by this that because the client cares less about finished quality that a photographer should allow crappy B&W prints to be made of their work?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    I think the simple answer is to make b/w images of the best work and to upload...
    i do not even like letting clients crop my images... I do try to do some bw conversions
    to give clients the option of ordering a b/w....

My reason for this is simple also...if the client makes a shoddy b/w by pushing a button that is still
    affecting my reputation as it is representative of my work and ethics and could effect my reputation negatively... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    woodsphoto wrote: »

The typical Steve Jobs reply. (No offense to the late Apple founder, but I do hate that mentality)

My point is, the mentality of "we're making this decision for you" is NOT GOOD. If enough people request the feature, it should be available.

Maybe enough people haven't requested the feature yet. If that is the case, then I will happily wait for other, more important features to come first. I understand that I am just one out of millions of users...

Similarly, I would like the OPTION of disabling client cropping during the print order. If you ask me, that's quite a double-standard. "What photographer would possibly want to let a client create a shoddy B&W of their beautiful images?" ...vs... "let's let clients crop the heck out of their prints and order 8x10's from a 0.6 megapixel effective image." ...Huh? You see, my point is, give US the option to turn on / off these features, instead of making the decisions for us based on what is thought to be in OUR best interest, or the clients.

BTW, no I would indeed NOT allow my clients to simply plug in a print order with shoddy B&W images. I would set a proof delay, and do the B&W conversion myself then replace the image. Problem solved, for any pro who is smart enough to need the feature, and no problem created, for any beginner who isn't even going to turn the feature on.

Just being a PITA as usual, ;-)
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2011
    I'm not so sure it's your best interest they are looking out for, maybe it is their own.

Your customer clicks a button, they turn your beautiful low-key portrait into a b&w through desaturation, the print looks like crap, SmugMug and lab are left to back up their guarantee at their cost.

Your customer crops a wide-angle panoramic of a forest down to an 8x10 of a tree. You can count the pixels one by one in the print. Once again, Smuggy is left holding the bag when the end-customer complains.

Maybe it is not the Apple mentality at all, maybe they are just covering their own interests.

Just a different way to look at it.