Options

Commercial Use Download Pricing

rashbrookrashbrook Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited December 2, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Originally, I had intended to NOT sell downloads of my images.

Wouldn't you know it - one of the first questions now that I'm launched, is from an author is interested in using an image for a new book cover.

I'm lost on pricing. Can someone tell me what a "fair" price is to ask, for a commercial use download?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Most important is what size print run? US only or worldwide? Who is the publisher...is this a small independent book or will it be published by one of the major houses? I'm guessing small independent if the author contacted you directly. Is it a unique image that they wouldn't be able to find anywhere else? Does the author/publisher want exclusivity? These are the types of things you really should consider when determining the licensing fee.

Be aware that SM's commercial download license is basically a royalty free license - once they purchase the license they can use your image almost any way they want, as often as they want, for as long as they want. Depending on who the publisher is and how important the image is to you, you might want to consider doing a little extra work to offer a Rights Managed license....so they pay a price for a given print run in a given territory basically, then if the book turns out to be a best seller and they need to print more copies or they want to sell overseas, want to use your image on posters in bookstores and for advertising purposes, decide to release an e-version for the Kindle, etc, they have to come back and negotiate an additional fee with you.

Royalty free pricing usually goes by the size image file they require.

I'm assuming you have a unique image that they can't pick up for $5 from a micro-stock site. rolleyes1.gif