What do you think? (editing a snap shot ...)

AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
edited December 3, 2010 in People
So, I have this photo I really love. It's a snap shot, the light conditions were less than perfect (taken in a bathroom / in a blue bath tub) & as much as I would have liked to leave the soap bubbles on her nose, one can't really tell what it is, so I decided ro take them out.

I am thinking that I'll get a large print of it, and blue wont really fit in the color scheme I have going + I dont want to put it in b&w as I really love the colors of her eyes .... so I tried to save the photo, what do you think? :dunno

1. Original photo (there is also a nasty blue cast on her skin :cry):
1111191813_3VcMu-M.jpg

2. First edit, tried to adjust the skin color, not 100% happy with it, but I think it's ok, if you dont compare it to the original ... + took the lines under her eyes away (blaming that one on the light source) + the bubbles on her nose are gone too.
1111191943_VQmXV-M.jpg

3. Lokked at it again this morning, and saw the very harsh shadows on the bath tub, so toned them down a bit + adjusted the skin tone a tiny little bit. Whatcha think?
1111192078_VQvzB-M.jpg

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Faded Aluminum print.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Faded Aluminum print.

Busted. That's the plan rolleyes1.gif And you are right about the "faded" part. Good point! thumb.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Honestly Angie? I like the original! It's adorable. Her eyes are perfect, and the blue just looks like a very cool background! Maybe warm up her skin a little, but otherwise I'd leave it as-is. :D
    edited December 1, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Honestly Angie? I like the original! It's adorable. Her eyes are perfect, and the blue just looks like a very cool background! Maybe warm up her skin a little, but otherwise I'd leave it as-is. :D

rolleyes1.gif That's not an option, not if I would want to get a print of it as it really wouldn't fit in with the others headscratch.gifthumb.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    the last edit is beautiful. My only nit is teh BG color is little too close to the skin tone..I would like to see the BG color have more seperation.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited December 1, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    the last edit is beautiful. My only nit is teh BG color is little too close to the skin tone..I would like to see some more seperation.

Point taken, you are right about that. Hmmmmm, will play around with that. Thanks! thumb.gif
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Still looks a bit yellow skin wise on my monitor.
    The nose bubble fix looks good.
    I would fix the highlights in the mouth as well, the baby's left shoulder looks pretty good but the right shoulder lost all the detail of the shoulder line.
    I had no problem with the shadows as in the original, they provided separation from the background, maybe go halfway between the original and where the edit ended up.
    edited December 1, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    the last edit is beautiful. My only nit is teh BG color is little too close to the skin tone..I would like to see the BG color have more seperation.

Ok, tried to include a very light texture, maybe this will help as I want the colors to be on the soft side ...

Any thoughts?

1111246900_6BJaj-M.jpg

1111247072_kK3u5-M.jpg

6. Just a quick edit, would need to go into it a bit more ... :
    1111247267_FnNhP-M.jpg
    edited December 1, 2010
    zoomer wrote: »
    Still looks a bit yellow skin wise on my monitor.
    The nose bubble fix looks good.
    I would fix the highlights in the mouth as well, the baby's left shoulder looks pretty good but the right shoulder lost all the detail of the shoulder line.
    I had no problem with the shadows as in the original, they provided separation from the background, maybe go halfway between the original and where the edit ended up.

I agree about the skin color, didn't quite hit it, but cant seem to get closer to my ideal rolleyes1.gif

As for the highlights on her mouth, I kinda like those, so I think they'll stay, but I see your point about the shoulder, will look into that.

Thanks Zoomer!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Ok, point taken - the blue not an option thumb.gif

Of the remaining choices, I like 5 and 6 the best - the slight pinkness of 5 works well with her adorable skin-tones! Can't decide if I prefer the heavier texture of not - I think that entirely comes down to personal taste (and, as you suggest it's going to be on pages with other shots, how it would fit in with its companions).
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    I like 4 also.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • CASowersCASowers Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    I really like 3, but with Qarik's suggestion to separate just a smidgen from the bg.
    Just my preference, but the textures just seem to take me away from those beautiful eyes.
    Chris Sowers
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    CASowers wrote: »
    I really like 3, but with Qarik's suggestion to separate just a smidgen from the bg.
    Just my preference, but the textures just seem to take me away from those beautiful eyes.

Have to agree...
    They also look a bit too shopped, but I know you would refine anything you actually used.

Of these, I like 3 best.

She sure has the classic rosebud lips. Sooo pretty!iloveyou.gif
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Angie I've mulled over snaps like this as well...adorable!~
    Have you considered a high contrast B&W?
    Looking at all these I prefer #3 a wee bit over the orginal truthfully....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited December 3, 2010
    Thanks so much for all your inputs, I really appreciate it (and sorry for the late reply / digging out that post again) we just moved and don't have any Internet at the moment ... Ugh.

Cool, I'll see what I will do with #3or 4, looks like those are the winners. :) thanks again :)
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    Of your edits, I like #3, but honestly to me the original with the blue background is 10x better than any of the edits. And I don't mean to diminish the edits, I just really think the original looks awesome. Print it huge and re-paint your wall to compliment it... mwink.gif
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    #4, but first choice is blue background!