Lightroom 3 and Raw files

RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
edited December 5, 2010 in Finishing School
I have a lot of raw files in Lightroom 3. In LR3 the preferences are set-up so that Photoshop CS5 is an exgternal editor, and the files are to be converted to 8 bit tiff images.

However, just recently, right-clicking on a raw file and selecting Edit In - Edit in Adobe Photoshop CS5 will open the raw file (not a tiff) in CS5.

What happened? I have not changed anything in LR3, and I confirmed the preference settings are correct. :dunno

Comments

• arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Check the Edit in External app preferences.
    When you say you use the context menu, what do you mean it will not open the raw file (it does nothing, you don’t get a TIFF?)
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Jason HermannJason Hermann Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    I just had that happen to me today and as soon as I hit save, it changed to a tiff file in PS. Pretty weird, as I don't remember it doing that in the past?

Best,
    Jay
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    arodney wrote: »
    Check the Edit in External app preferences.
    When you say you use the context menu, what do you mean it will not open the raw file (it does nothing, you don’t get a TIFF?)
    LR 3 preferences are set correctly. Right-click on the raw file in LR opens the image in Photoshop CS5 just fine. LR 3 used to create a new file (the tiff) that was edited in CS5 (the title bar for the image in CS5 would also show xyz.tif). Now, the tiff conversion is skipped, and CS5 uses the raw file (which the title bar for the image in CS5 shows is xyz.cr2).
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    I just had that happen to me today and as soon as I hit save, it changed to a tiff file in PS. Pretty weird, as I don't remember it doing that in the past?

Best,
    Jay
    I used the save-as to create a jpg. I didn't test just the save function.
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    RogersDA wrote: »
    I used the save-as to create a jpg. I didn't test just the save function.

IF you get the raw to render and end up in Photoshop using Open In Photoshop command, when you edit and save, it is saved as the file type specified in the preferences (and managed in LR as a new asset). IF you Save As, you bypass this behavior.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • RobSylvanRobSylvan Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    It is normal in LR3 to see the raw extension when the copy first opens in photoshop, as it just means the copy does not exist on your hard drive until you save it in photoshop. Lightroom is just passing the raw data to the ACR plugin behind the scenes, which renders the photo and displays it in photoshop. If you close it without saving no copy is created.

This only works this way with photoshop as the primary external editor. If you send a copy to a secondary editor then lightroom renders the copy first, saves it to disk, then opens it in the secondary editor. IIRC, it works that way when Elements is the primary editor too, but don't have it handy to test.