14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• HowzitHowzit Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    A couple of interesting points I take away from the review:

- "Silver Award" (are they are saving the gold for the Pentax K5)
    - 80% overall score only puts it 1% ahead of the Canon 60D which also got the "Silver Award"
    - Up to ISO 3200 the D7000 and 60D are pretty well matched.

Overall it looks like a great camera but one can only wonder what the Nikon D800 and Canon 7DII will be like.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Howzit wrote: »
    A couple of interesting points I take away from the review:

- "Silver Award" (are they are saving the gold for the Pentax K5)
    - 80% overall score only puts it 1% ahead of the Canon 60D which also got the "Silver Award"
    - Up to ISO 3200 the D7000 and 60D are pretty well matched.

Overall it looks like a great camera but one can only wonder what the Nikon D800 and Canon 7DII will be like.

Just curious as to why you find those points interesting? I like dpreview's reviews, and some of the meaty discussion contained therein but find the conclusion page and ratings by stars/awards/points/smiley faces to be somewhat disingenious. ne_nau.gif
  • HowzitHowzit Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    MarkR wrote: »
    Just curious as to why you find those points interesting?

Why? Due to how the 60D and D7000 were first received. One much maligned, the other much hyped, yet they appear far closer than apart.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Why? Due to how the 60D and D7000 were first received. One much maligned, the other much hyped, yet they appear far closer than apart.
    Well said.

The question, in my opinion, is- WHAT NEXT? Canon has finally diverged it's 1.6x lineup into two separate lines- a semi-pro line and an advanced amateur line, ...while Nikon seems to have finally done the opposite: consolidated it's D300 line and D90 line!

I know exactly which features a D300s replacement would have that the D7000 doesn't have, but what I DON'T see is, what to charge? With the D7000 at $1100 or so and the D700 hitting $1900 used, I just don't see room for a D400. I mean I'd LOVE to have one, even if it cost exactly the same as a used D700. But I just don't know if it would make financial sense to Nikon...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • OnTheBandwagonOnTheBandwagon Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    I got this camera about 10 days ago... but if you can believe... havent taken a lot of pics with it yet. I'll post some things over the weekend. Spent a lot of time trying to get a handle of video.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010

The reason is they swapped places, Nikon always had the plastic higher end camera consumer (D70, 80, 90) and Canon had the metal based one (30, 40, 50D etc.) so if you are a Canon user you lost features and Nikon users gained them, seems like reason enough to praise or scorn.
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    Actually, the real news with the D7000 (and k5)
    Is the low read noise and the sheer amount of dynamic range the new Sony sensors seem to be able to retain in the shadow information. You can under expose quite a lot on these cameras, push the shadows in post and still have very clean images. A crutch for some perhaps (anything that makes life easier always is), but also interesting creative horizons for others......

Other than that, what earned the D7000 a silver award was the tendency over over expose quite a bit in high contrast situations and the fact the reviewers found the handling not quite perfect (but that's always going to be subjective).
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2010
    I don't pay much attention to reviews...I read them but I don't give them all of my attention.
    If you look at what Mr. Rockwell wrote about the D7000 you would think it's the best camera that Nikon made ever except for the D3X...
    If I would have believed everything I read, I would be the owner of a M52 (not that it's a bad camera) but I'm glad I held out for the D700 that year because it's clear that it is the best body for my purposes.
    Still....when all the woopla melts away and the D7000's become available again, I will buy one as a second body because the overeposure issue will not come into play since I shoot manual anyway.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    Amazon delivered my body only D7000 yesterday, and I haven't wanted to put the camera down. Really is a great body for DX shooters, and is a huge upgrade for me. Looking forward to getting to know it better. There are a lot of subtle touches that make this a really fun camera.
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    I don't think shooting M will help......
    My understanding of the issue: It applies to pattern (aka ESP) metering and sometimes, what the camera indicates as the correct exposure (+/-0) provides an over exposed photo. This will apply to M also. It's not a critical issue but it pays to be aware of it (as it pays to be aware of any of the foibles the camera in your hands might have when it comes to exposure).
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    I don't pay much attention to reviews...I read them but I don't give them all of my attention.
    If you look at what Mr. Rockwell wrote about the D7000 you would think it's the best camera that Nikon made ever except for the D3X...
    If I would have believed everything I read, I would be the owner of a M52 (not that it's a bad camera) but I'm glad I held out for the D700 that year because it's clear that it is the best body for my purposes.
    Still....when all the woopla melts away and the D7000's become available again, I will buy one as a second body because the overeposure issue will not come into play since I shoot manual anyway.....
  • fionalornephotographyfionalornephotography Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2010
    I haven't noticed an exposure problem just yet with my D7000, but I will see how it does this weekend when I shoot in the state capitol, which has lighting that isn't exactly to be desired. I remember having exposure problems with my D60 in terms of underexposure and the inability to properly utilize my bigger strobe light, but so far just playing around with my D7000 inside has been about par for the course. Of course, outside stands to be a completely different animal.

I do like the AF compatibilities. I've got an old 70-210mm lens that wouldn't auto focus with my D60, and it was a huge shock when I was just playing with the D7000 after its arrival and noticed that it does indeed auto focus!
    Central Texas Events Photographer
    http://fionalornephotography.smugmug.com