Hello! Intro with a CC request ;)

babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
edited December 1, 2010 in Landscapes
Hey guys
just joined by referral from two guys on my local photography forum, atlshutterbugs..
Hope to learn alot!

_______

This is a picture I took last year early Jan... or this Jan.. i can't remember..

Anyhow, I know the right part of the sky is over-exposed and I tried to correct in PP but this is what I came up with..
I went on youtube and learned how to use the histogram in RAW and started editing this picture.

Edited:
5222519131_1decd81450_b.jpg
Lake Lanier by babowc, on Flickr

Original:
5223125616_606f14db42_b.jpg
Lake Lanier (original) by babowc, on Flickr

This shot was taken with a D40 and 18-55 non-VR lens..
How can I get rid of the halos in the sky? and any CC would be greatly appreciated!
-Mike Jin
D800
16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
It never gets easier, you just get better.

Comments

• Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    First of all I like your composition, like how the pier comes out at a diagonal and leads the eye into the image, it is a lovely setting. I see where you are going with your adjustments to image #1, its better but here is what I think. the water looks a bit muddy, what I mean by that is possibly too much yellow/gold added. I also believe I see some banding in the sky just above the small jet trail. not sure of what adjustments you used but I would have started with the "recovery tab" in adobe camera raw if you have blown highlights. then I would work with levels and curves to set the black and white points and add some contrast. I would also consider cropping from the top down to just above the tress on the left. by doing that it divides the image into thirds (rule of thirds) which have more energy than an image that has the horizon line dividing the image in half. The more I look at this image the more if feel it may best work as a B/W. just my thoughts.
    a