daughter playing in the sand

ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
edited December 3, 2010 in People
I am always in awe of the beautiful images jeffreaux2 has posted of his daughters. I have a long ways to go but for fun we tried something different at the sand dunes over Thanksgiving holiday.
Four images of my daughter two that show me she is growing up fast and two that says she is still a kid at heart!
C&C and ideas for posing welcome as we will be back again in a couple of weeks and may try again in a less traveled area. I know the first thing I need to do is get my flash back off camera- was having problems with my camera 7d triggering 580exII flash.
1111556329_8tZox-L.jpg
1111551142_hiTZ3-L.jpg
1111553510_qFzPo-L.jpg
1111547832_vhy6B-L.jpg
Amanda
It is never to late to become what you might have been.
www.behindthezoom.com

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    I am digging 1 and 4
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Lovely concept and gorgeous location.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    What type of issues where you having with flash triggering?<o:p></o:p>
    On my last shoot I had issues with the Nikon CLS so I dumped it in exchange for inexpensive radio triggers...guess what? It fires reliably every time now and it only cost me 20 dollars.<o:p></o:p>
    The issues I encountered had to do with the camera orientation in relation to the flashgun which I had mounted on a stand with an umbrella. If I turned the camera so that the built in flash faced away from the unit I would lose the ability to trigger.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    These are nicely exposed in my opinion but the compositions could be improved on #1 and 2 by shifting off center<o:p></o:p>

Great fun was had I can tell and you did well....bravo!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Thanks for the comments Qarik and Rey, we had alot of fun!
    The problem I was having was due to low batteries -I think- it wasn't firing alot of the times- I did have your problem but as I moved my husband moved the sensor on my flash to face me so we figured out that problem. I am going to clean my gear (sandy out there) and play a little this weekend out in the yard with fresh batteries and the flash manual to see if I can work it out- I am sure it is "user error" and I just need to practice more!
    Amanda
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Amanda is it radio trigger via the 7D or is it line of sight like Nikon's CLS?
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    You shocked me...
    I expected to see a toddler with a beach pail and shovel... Instead, you posted shots of a beautiful young lady! Thanks!
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    These are fun. Tighter crop on #1, levels or curves adjustment on 1 & 2. #4 is close enough to perfect for me. #3 is really fun, but not as good as an image.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Very cool location.
    #1 - Cropping is too centered. Do as Icebear suggested and make it tighter of get it off center - both her and the horizon. Would be really cool to shot from a really low angle too.
    #2 I like the pose but, again, she is about dead center. Put her on the right third.
    #3 is just plain fun.
    #4 Beautiful. Got a very good composition. She's in a good spot in the frame, really like the diagonal line the shadow makes, and horizon is nice.

Looking forward to seeing the next set from out. Try a low angle next time :D
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    #1 is a definite keeper. Lovely daughter and great location, I'm jealous. The 580's don't work so well in infrared mode triggering in bright sunlight. Try a set of radio poppers to do the job if cash is handy. On the first one raise the black point up to punch it up.
    I played with the levels. Left slider to the right to liking, middle slider to the left some and right slider to the left some.
    1113010280_s58wJ-XL.jpg
  • ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    Thank you for all the help & comments!!!bowdown.gif
    Rey it is via the 7d- will look into some triggers as Charles also mentioned that my flash infared and bright light may be the problem.
    Rpcrowe- thanks for commenting!
    John, will try - I think Charles is hitting on some of your suggestion in his version and I like it!
    Mike, thanks for comments! Low angle didn't even think of it thanks- adding it to my index card that I am taking on next try for some different ideas!
    Charles, really like what you did with the image - thank you for taking the time! Didn't know that about my flash will check into some trigger possibilities.
    Amanda
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • CASowersCASowers Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    All are good, agree with the crop suggestions. 4 is by far the best of the bunch! Really nice!
    Chris Sowers