Scratches, dust, scanners, and software stuff

LeoLeo Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited December 3, 2010 in Finishing School
Hi folks. :wave

Don't drop by too often, except when I have a dumb question. And here I am. :rofl

I have a pile of old family photos to scan file away. (iMac, iPhoto 08, HP Photosmart C6180 printer / scanner). Yet when I scan pics, I get dust and scratches all over the place.

Here's one:

1112448953_WQG4V-L.jpg

Those dust specs aren't on the original photo. Yeah, the glass on the scanner is clean.

Any advice? Scanner maintenance? Scratch removal software?

Thanks!!!

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    Try copping a black piece of paper. If the white spots are still there I would definitely suspect the scanner. Dust dirt on top of the glass, or on the underside of the glass.

I am not familiar with exactly how scanners work, so my diagnosing skills are limited, but I would contact the manufacturer and see if they can shed some light on the issue.

Sam
  • LeoLeo Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    Oh, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Is there any software that has scratch removal during scan import?
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    Leo wrote: »
    Oh, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Is there any software that has scratch removal during scan import?

I have an EPSON V100 scanner and the software that came with does have a dust/scratch removal option you can apply during a scan.

That being said, I have not actually used it so I can't tell you how effective it is. headscratch.gif
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    I've scanned many 35mm transparencies and The ICE software (Nikon Super Coolscan 4000) has been a god-send. For scratches & dusties, I've not found anything better (but then, I haven't really looked)
    HTH -

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau