Olympus OM help please

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited December 3, 2010 in Cameras
"I" have a microscope with an olympus OM-Mount Photomicro adapter L. For the purposes of this post- basically, it acts like an OM lens and you attach an Olympus camera to it. It was formerly used (successfully I guess), by just resting a canon FD mount camera on it.

I'd like to get it set up to take a DSLR body, but google tells me that Olympus DSLR's don't use the OM mount anymore.

Can someone suggest an adapter-body combination? Older used DLSRs would be fine. I assume that without a full frame body, there will be black space around the image? That's ok, btw, cropping always works.

TIA
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    First, I think the black edges would be the other way around. So unless someone says otherwise, I think using just about any digital SLR would be fine, no matter what sensor size.

Can you just get another adapter? I'm not sure what adapter you've got, but I once had a telescope that you could buy an adapter to connect just about any of the SLRs, digital or film. You just had to get the proper adapter. They were not expensive.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    kolibri wrote: »
    "I" have a microscope with an olympus OM-Mount Photomicro adapter L. For the purposes of this post- basically, it acts like an OM lens and you attach an Olympus camera to it. It was formerly used (successfully I guess), by just resting a canon FD mount camera on it.

I'd like to get it set up to take a DSLR body, but google tells me that Olympus DSLR's don't use the OM mount anymore.

Can someone suggest an adapter-body combination? Older used DLSRs would be fine. I assume that without a full frame body, there will be black space around the image? That's ok, btw, cropping always works.

TIA

Any Olympus DSLR will work with an adapter, also the apparent magnification will be twice that of a 35mm camera due to the smaller sensor size. The adapters run 20-30 dollars and I've used a cirrus one (off ebay) for years now with Nikon lenses.
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Any Olympus DSLR will work with an adapter, also the apparent magnification will be twice that of a 35mm camera due to the smaller sensor size. The adapters run 20-30 dollars and I've used a cirrus one (off ebay) for years now with Nikon lenses.

Not to be dull, but what adapter would i look for? OM to E-1 ?? What does Olympus call their current lens lineup?
    edited December 2, 2010
    Not to be dull, but what adapter would i look for? OM to E-1 ?? What does Olympus call their current lens lineup?

The current Olympus mount is 4/3, you could also use a micro 4/3 camera with an OM adapter which is smaller since I am guessing this camera is to be in one spot and pretty constant settings correct?
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    The current Olympus mount is 4/3, you could also use a micro 4/3 camera with an OM adapter which is smaller since I am guessing this camera is to be in one spot and pretty constant settings correct?

Yes, the benefit to sticking a camera on top, is that we wouldn't have to set up a computer and workstation to run a dedicated microscope camera sensor. We'd just have to pull the memory card out. focusing and everything is on the microscope end.
    edited December 3, 2010
    Yes, the benefit to sticking a camera on top, is that we wouldn't have to set up a computer and workstation to run a dedicated microscope camera sensor. We'd just have to pull the memory card out. focusing and everything is on the microscope end.

I'd look at both the 4/3 and micro 4/3 ranges from Olympus and Panasonic. Since the operations you need from the camera are very simple the Olympus EPL-1 and Panasonic GF1 for micro 4/3 and E-620 for 4/3, the micro 4/3 OM adapter will be more expensive though. The micro 4/3 cameras also do not have viewfinders and work off the LCD but for your application this sounds like it would be fine. All use pretty much the same sensor, the 620 has slightly less resolution due to a stronger anti aliasing filter so if absolute resolution is key the other 2 would be in front, but I suggest going on the internet and seeing examples.