Slot Canyons

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited December 8, 2010 in Landscapes
Though Antelope Canyon is a photographic icon, there are many slot canyons hidden in the Arizona desert and Escalante areas. Earlier in November we ventured out to a remote slot canyon for a mid day shoot. It was literally in the middle of nowhere, and I promise I couldn't find it again if I tried. Unlike most landscape photography, these canyons are best photographed in the early afternoon in a cloudless sky, when the high sun casts reflected light on the canyon walls. It is amazing to walk in and watch dull sandstone transform into a jewel of rich color when the reflected light hits just right. Here are a couple photos from that day.

I shot all of these using a depth of field blend-- multiple exposures at f/11 each with a slightly different focus-- and blended manually in PS so that the entire comp is sharp. While I made some cropping, contrast and saturation adjustments, the colors are real. When the camera is presented with golden warm light in one area, it reads shadows as cool blues, creating a neat effect.

Thanks for looking, and feedback is always appreciated.

1089536913_5UKJT-L.jpg

1089538853_SSpdh-L.jpg

1089542658_XKp87-L.jpg

1089534549_HKV3d-L.jpg

Comments

• wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Very intense. I like the 3rd one the most.
    Anybody can do it.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Antelope Canyon is of the most amazing places i've ever been... you're right, the colors are amazing! i really like the first one... looks like rainbow colored salt-water taffee! and the lines make for a neat abstract composition.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    some beautiful shots. I like them all. If this was not shot at Antelope were you close, was it on Navaho land?
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    very nicely done.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • EnlightphotoEnlightphoto Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    Chris:

All are sweet. My fav's are 1 & 3. I also think a tight square crop on the top middle part of #3 would be an excellent print candidate. (Above the 'nose' and a little in on each side.)
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2010
    Thanks everyone. I see what you mean with the crop, Gary. Definitely frames it better, though it wouldn't be able to print very large. Doug, yes, Navaholand it was.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    chrismoore wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I see what you mean with the crop, Gary. Definitely frames it better, though it wouldn't be able to print very large. Doug, yes, Navaholand it was.

Was this at "Canyon X"?
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
    edited December 5, 2010
    squirl033 wrote: »
    Was this at "Canyon X"?

Hmmm. never heard it called Canyon X, but I know its known to a few photogs. No one ever mentioned a name.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    Great set, Chris. I love the blues you got in the first two.
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    I really like No. 1, nice job! I haven't tried a DOF blend. Is it really necessary if shot at f16/22? I guess it depends on the focal length as well.
    edited December 5, 2010
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    I really like No. 1, nice job! I haven't tried a DOF blend. Is it really necessary if shot at f16/22? I guess it depends on the focal length as well.

Not totally necessary, no, but it helps a lot. These were shot at 200mm or so f/11 so it was necessary with those settings. In a controlled setting like this I much prefer to shoot at f/11 because its more towards the sweet spot for most lenses. f/22 would give good DOF, but its usually soft. The blend is fairly easy, just involves overlaying a series of 4-5 images and using layers and masks to keep the sharpest area for each.
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    chrismoore wrote: »
    Not totally necessary, no, but it helps a lot. These were shot at 200mm or so f/11 so it was necessary with those settings. In a controlled setting like this I much prefer to shoot at f/11 because its more towards the sweet spot for most lenses. f/22 would give good DOF, but its usually soft. The blend is fairly easy, just involves overlaying a series of 4-5 images and using layers and masks to keep the sharpest area for each.

I have noticed some of my images being soft at f22. Thanks for the tip....next time I'll try the blend!
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
  • PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    Chris,

As the others have already commented, this is a great set of shots! I like that they're different from the "typical" slot canyon shots and that each has a unique feel to it. Very nicely done.

Mike
    flickr
    I welcome your feedback, but leave the editing to me - thanks!
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    Chris, nice captures of the canyon.

I love exploring slot canyons. Do you remember the name of this one? Was it up near Peek-a-boo slot? That one and it's close neighbors are pretty remote.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    Amazing place well shot.
    Nice work on keeping the light subdued to bring out the shadow and light detail, with best color.
    edited December 8, 2010
    bgarland wrote: »
    Chris, nice captures of the canyon.

I love exploring slot canyons. Do you remember the name of this one? Was it up near Peek-a-boo slot? That one and it's close neighbors are pretty remote.

The Utah and Arizona desert are scattered with these, this one in particular was closer to Page than Peek a boo, but I do not believe that it has a name and I honestly couldn't find it again if I tried.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    I meant to comment on this earlier. Images 4 and 5 don't stand out for me. Kinda flat, uninteresting.

Images 1 and 2 are very nice, good color, interesting lines, natures abstract, good crop composition.

One could shoot there for days and weeks continually finding new angles, compositions and light.

Sam
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    3rd is awesome, looks like a face!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery