Options

What do Professional Photographers want?

OfficeHeroesOfficeHeroes Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited December 15, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi all,
I must say, I'm really enjoying spending time on this site and looking at the amazing pictures you're taking! I only wish my snaps turned out so well :D

I registered with this site to try to gain an insight into the kinds of services that professional photographers need to help their businesses run more smoothly and to enable them to grow.

I'm a Virtual Assistant (VA) and I'm looking to market my services to Photographers, so...
What services could I provide to help your businesses?
I have a partial list in mind, I'm looking toward general administrative tasks, social media, blogs as well as more specific tasks like travel planning, studio booking and equipment hire on location - to help take the stress out of growing your business so you can take on more clients or just take time out for yourself.

I look forward to your responses, and if it turns out this "market" isn't viable, I'll still visit to check out the photos! :lust

Mel

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 3, 2010
    Can you make a good pizza? I like pizza on my shoots!!!

That's just my tongue-in-cheek way of suggesting you shouldn't ask open-ended questions.

Put together a menu of the services you are most comfortable offering to a potential client base and we can see you posting in our "For Hire" forum.

I think that would benefit you and our members much better thumb.gif

• Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    Fame, fortune and women! rolleyes1.gif I think that is what most photographers want.
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2010
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Fame, fortune and women! rolleyes1.gif

Back in the day, I had a tiny, insignificant Distant whiff of that.
    It was nothing more than enough to make me realise, it's a long way from all it's cracked up to be.

Give me anonominity, a good, solid and steady income and my wife and kids and I know i'll be much happier and far more content. thumb.gif
  • Options
    OfficeHeroesOfficeHeroes Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 14, 2010
    Thanks for the input people, I'll look into EXACTLY what I can offer by way if services (I'm thinking pizza is OFF the list though ne_nau.gif)
    I have some serious thinking to do, AGAIN :D
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    The biggest problem professionals are having are to do with marketing themselves. Finding the profitable assignments, pricing them right, contracts, etc.

I think you'll find interest when you can bring in more work at better prices for the people in your network. The permanent problem with a busy self-employed person is finding time to fill the sales pipeline going forward.

It is a tricky concept to get right. Nobody likes a middle man, and freelance creative people need convincing that they might make more money by outsourcing their marketing and sales.

On the other hand there are customers like corporates who prefer to deal with "preferred suppliers" like an agency rather than individual freelancers. So if you specialize, say, in finding assignments for product photography or corporate events then you might have a good niche.
  • Options
    MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    the biggest problem professionals are having are to do with marketing themselves. Finding the profitable assignments, pricing them right, contracts, etc.

I think you'll find interest when you can bring in more work at better prices for the people in your network. The permanent problem with a busy self-employed person is finding time to fill the sales pipeline going forward.

It is a tricky concept to get right. Nobody likes a middle man, and freelance creative people need convincing that they might make more money by outsourcing their marketing and sales.

On the other hand there are customers like corporates who prefer to deal with "preferred suppliers" like an agency rather than individual freelancers. So if you specialize, say, in finding assignments for product photography or corporate events then you might have a good niche.
    +1 !!!!!
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    The biggest problem professionals are having are to do with marketing themselves. Finding the profitable assignments, pricing them right, contracts, etc.

If I were trying to make a substantial percentage of my income from photography that would be my number one concern and need as well.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu